Best foreigner to play in Scotland but never played with either Old Firm

I remember him and he was part of Pal Hal's Morton Scandinavian Invasion. We got Erik Sorensen the goalie and Bjorn Sorensen an inside forward from Morton. The one I wanted us to sign was Lennart Wing, a left half but we had Baxter so that was a no go. I think Morton signed him from an Italian team.
Lennart Wing played for Dundee Utd not Morton. They signed him from Orgryte FC

Hadnt heard of him, before my time, but a wee google search and he seemed to have some career path. Ferencvaros, Standard liege, Aberdeen, ajax, dortmund! Wikipedias got him as a midfielder with 10 goals in 26 games for aberdeen, is that right or was he more of a winger/ number 10?

A midfielder really, but an attacking one.

I saw him bag a quality douple in a 3-2 defeat for the sheep against Celtic. It was a masterclass and he didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

One of only 2 players to have played in 3 Scottish Cup finals for 3 different teams.

Jamie MacDonald being the other.

Our very own Neil McCann has played in 3 for 3 different teams.

His Hearts and Falkirk appearances were against us.

Not in the league of some of the players mentioned but I remember Zerouali was a very good player when he first arrived at Aberdeen, before getting injured.

So many people simply ignoring or misunderstanding the entire point of the thread!

The Dundee goalie who went to Crystal Palace and became a legend for them was good. Julian Speroni.

And purely for the underserved hype, I remember Morton fans creaming themselves over Marko Rajamaki in the 90s.

That’s pretty much every thread on there though isn’t it. Someone had a thread about the furthest distance a Rangers player had scored from, after the first few sensible suggestions of goals like Adam vs Dundee Utd, it descended into folk just naming every and any Rangers goal ever scored within about 20 yards of goal.

Players I liked who I don’t think have been mentioned yet:
Andriyus Skerla - Dunfermline
Mark De Vries - Hearts
Kjell Olaffson - Dundee Utd
Erik Peterson - Dundee Utd
Robert Tomascheck - Hearts
Ulysses De La Cruz - Hibs

I remember him and he was part of Pal Hal's Morton Scandinavian Invasion. We got Erik Sorensen the goalie and Bjorn Sorensen an inside forward from Morton. The one I wanted us to sign was Lennart Wing, a left half but we had Baxter so that was a no go. I think Morton signed him from an Italian team.
The midfielder (left half) you're thinking of was Per Bartram, who Morton signed from Atalanta, I think he was the uncle of Jan Bartram who played for us in the Souness era. Both Bartram and Jorn Sorensen won Olympic Gold medals in Rome 1960 as part of the Denmark team.

Seems a bit silly to rule out Sauzee when he would be the clear leader and gave them two full seasons.

Paatelainen would be another one at hibs and even better while at dundee hibs.

No but he was part of the 1994 squad though (along with Paul Le Guen) that failed to qualify
FRA-BUL-onze.jpg
Not a bad side.
Sauzee , Desailly, Le Guen, Deschamps, Cantona, Pappin.
Who is the middle fair hair back row, and at the end back row on the right?
The others, their names escapes me.

Not a bad side.
Sauzee , Desailly, Le Guen, Deschamps, Cantona, Pappin.
Who is the middle fair hair back row, and at the end back row on the right?
The others, their names escapes me.
Isn't that Sauzee.

Laurent Blanc beside him too, and a young Emmanuel Petit infront of him.

Isn't that Sauzee.

Laurent Blanc beside him too, and a young Emmanuel Petit infront of him.
Alain Roche top right and Reynald Pedros bottom left.

Bernard Lama in goals.

Pretty sure that is from the play off game they lost to Bulgaria.

France only needed a draw and at 1 all in the 94th minute Ginola gave the ball away cheaply and Bulgaria scored.

Not in the class of player being mentioned here, but those two Moroccans the Hivs had when Joan Collins was their manager stood out at that level.

One of them had a very good game against us when McLeish or PLG was manager.

Zemmama and Benjelloun. Zemmama was a silky wee player, no doubt. Impressed a right few times.

Caballero was a gut reaction of mine, Nemzadze too from the crazy Dundee days.

Answer has to be Sauzee though.

Zemmama and Benjelloun. Zemmama was a silky wee player, no doubt. Impressed a right few times.

Caballero was a gut reaction of mine, Nemzadze too from the crazy Dundee days.

Answer has to be Sauzee though.
I considered mentioning Zemmama, would always sign him on FM.

Really surprised he never done anything of note in his career, suppose he would have made some money in England but still.

Maybe already posted but did hearts not have a former European player of the year in the 90,s

I remember Eremenko for Kilmarnock absolutely shat over Davis and our midfield when we beat them 3-2 with a Miller hat-trick at Rugby Park one time.

George Best if you're meaning players that aren't Scottish must be the answer.

Just re-read the first post after looking at the thread title and can see Best would be disqualified for two reasons. Skacel was the best in recent memory.

Was guy at St Mirren around 86 I think

Gooni Torfessen or something like that

He was a belter

Some early 90's throwbacks:

Gudmundor Torfason (St Mirren)
Victor (St Mirren)
Miodrag Krivokapić (Dundee Utd/Motherwell)

Back