Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Sandro

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 22 7.3%

• Total voters

ssblue

How close is Andy Robertson to this?

Or are the usual suspects from the last 7 or 8 years still better?

Alba?
Still first choice for Barca but under threat from Alonso for Spain.

Marcelo?
Amazing career but is he on the decline?

Alaba?
More of a midfielder now?

Sandro?
Is he at the same level as the others?

Anyone else?

I opted for Marcelo on that list due to past performances, trophies won etc. Robertson is certainly well on his way thats for sure. An unbelievable rise to fame for him in such a short space of time, only gonna get better!

Would like to see Benjamin Mandy get fit for City, he was dynamite for Monaco a couple of years back.

Fwiw, I think Danny Rose is a quality left back as well.

The Robertson story is incredible and he seems to be improving still under Klopp.

Robertson definitely...... ffs the boy was playing against us in the third division 5 year ago,who knows how good the wi lady's front bottom could become by the time he hits his peak.

Marcelo's won the Champions League 4 times in the last 5 seasons.

Andy Robertson might have won a player of the month award for Hull City one time.

Alaba's hugely underrated, I'm guessing it's because he doesn't play in the PL. I'd say it's between Marcelo & Alaba.

I think Robertson, along with his team mate Van Dyke are the two most over rated players in football.
To class Robertson as the best left back in the world is f uclkng ludicrous and I can not f uclkng believe so many have voted for him.
My opinion is purely football based and nothing to do with the fact he is a horrible wee 19th Century Terrorist b astard who is absolutely no where near the level of world class.

The thing that always strikes me about Robertson (and this is no bad thing) is that his main attribute is his work rate. When you see the other Liverpool players knocking the ball about and taking touches, showing a bit of skill it’s far superior to Robertson.

Some of those others on the list are probably better footballers but there aren’t many that are more effective or as consistent as him at present.

There’s a lack of top quality full backs in world football compared to 10 years ago. Marcelo’s probably the best but there isn’t much between all the options.

Would like to see Benjamin Mandy get fit for City, he was dynamite for Monaco a couple of years back.

Fwiw, I think Danny Rose is a quality left back as well.

The Robertson story is incredible and he seems to be improving still under Klopp.
Mendy is a bombscare at the back

It still rankles with me that we let this lad slip through the net when it was blatantly obvious that he had a great future ahead of him. He may not have signed for us but we didn't even try

For me it’s Marcelo by a mile even now but in a few years I’d say Alex Sandro Robertson is immense don’t get me wrong but the best in the world? Nah

It still rankles with me that we let this lad slip through the net when it was blatantly obvious that he had a great future ahead of him. He may not have signed for us but we didn't even try

Is he not the kind of Celtic fan that wouldn't have signed for us?

Not that I can hold it against him, I'd never sign for them.

I love Robertson because he’s Scottish but best in the world? You having a laugh! It’s a difficult one because it’s most teams weak position. I’d probably say Alba now, both he and Marcelo not the players they once were but I would take Alba now in a dream team. Amazing to think just 20 years ago we probably had one of the best left backs in the world playing for us!

As a boy I was convinced it was Stewart Monroe , best I’ve ever seen is maldini , bests currently is Marcelo . Robertson is certainly up there though.

For me it’s Marcelo by a mile even now but in a few years I’d say Alex Sandro Robertson is immense don’t get me wrong but the best in the world? Nah
Reading that was an ordeal!
.....,,,,,:::::,,,,, here's some punctuation, feel free to use it.

It’s a forum not school mate
Was only joking, but also a bit of a dick there tbf. Good point, well made, mate.

Edit: should probably answer OP while I'm here.
If we are ignoring injuries, if I was a manger at a top club with unlimited funds, I'd be wanting Benjamin Mendy. His athletism makes other pros look like kids.
I'd have Robertson in the top 5

Last edited:
I'd pick Alonso over Robertson. Robertson is playing in a better team right now but Alonso strikes me as the better all round footballer. Mendy is also running him close when fit.

Mendy is never fit that is the problem and his defending when fit is very suspect. I would have Robertson top five for sure. Marcelo in a decent Madrid team gives you a real attacking threat.

Back