Best opposition 11 to have played against us at Ibrox.

JRei8790

Best 11 in your lifetime to have played against us at Ibrox, apologies if similar thread has post posted recently. Go.....

Zoff
Scirea
Cannavarro
Beckenbauer
Maldini
Riquileme
Xavi
Iniesta
Messi
Ronaldinho
Kempes.

Subs Buffon, Thuram, Mendieta, Henry and Benzema.

Last edited:
Best 11 in your lifetime to have played against us at Ibrox, apologies if similar thread has post posted recently. Go.....

Zoff
Scirea
Cannavarro
Beckenbauer
Cabrini
Riquileme
Xavi
Iniesta
Messi
Ronaldinho
Kempes.

Probably the entire Juventus team that gave us a 0-4 spanking. That was probably the best team I have ever seen

That I've seen in the flesh id go for, off the top of my noggin -

Van der Sar

Thuram
Puyol
Milito
Abidal

Xavi
Iniesta
Riquelme

Messi
Benzema
Ronaldinho

Edi: Can't not have Xavi and Iniesta.

Buffon
Thuram
Cannavaro
Puyol
Abidal
Mendieta
Riquelme
Iniesta
Benzema
Del Piero
Xavi

Honourable mentions to Gheorghe Hagi and Marius Lacatus from Steaua in the 80's. Old man has the match programme and always remember him going on about those 2.

Zoff
Scirea
Cannavarro
Beckenbauer
Cabrini
Riquileme
Xavi
Iniesta
Messi
Ronaldinho
Kempes.

Cruyff and Muller?

Any one of the many mentally challengeds teams to have played us over the last few years as they’re all individually worth over £20 million according to the Scottish Press

that Juve team were phenomenal. I had a ticket in the Broomloan rear and watching the way their team probed up the wings and played it all the way back to the defence and up the other wing was amazing.

Buffon
Puyol
Ferdinand
Maldini
Lizarazu
Gerrard
Xavi
Matthaus
Ronaldinho
Schevchenko
Messi

Probably not the best, but some of my favourites

Probably the best of them all.

Cruyff was undoubtedly in my opinion as well. I need to ask though, why no Scottish players appear within this. For instance, I recollect Jim Baxter playing for Raith Rovers against us. Unfortunately there was at least one who wore a hooped jersey whom I think should also be in there.

Based on his performance against us Benzema would be in the team rather than Ronaldinhio & Messi who drew a blank.

Once upon a time we were beaten 1-6 away from home. An aberration we thought it couldn’t happen again. We were rIght, 3-6 at Ibrox and our hopes of a European Cup were shattered.
No one could live with that side we wrongly thought when they in turn were trounced 3-7 in the final. Eintracht Frankfurt were the best I have seen at Ibrox.

Riquelme has to be any line up. Absolutely outstanding that game at Ibrox. Best performance I have seen
I've posted this before. That performance reminded me of Jim Baxter (no higher praise from me). No matter how many players (on that night, Rangers players) were around himm, you KNEW he was going to get the ball to a teammate.

Gaizka Mendieta for Valencia in 99 was pretty special, then again so was most of their team that season

yup him and Lopez ripped us one

as for caravano, he got sent off after 20min? Is the thread best to play against us in general regardless of how they played on the night ? Or best by their performance?

I’m assuming going by the team in the OP we are simply picking players on how good the player was overall rather than how good they performed at Ibrox?

Riquelmes performance is quite possibly the best individual performance I have ever seen at Ibrox, however if we are going simply by the best overall players to have played at Ibrox, would there be an argument to have Paul Scholes in that midfield ahead of Riquelme?

Scholes has played at Ibrox twice in two very good Man Utd teams.

If it’s individual performances then Riquelme in the L16 and Benzema vs Lyon have to be up there.

Riquelme had the game on a string that night and Benzema must’ve been 17-18 at the time. Frightening.

Juventus 1995.

Didn't think that at the time though :(

I actually did think that at the time.
I might be a bit befuddled with age but IIRC we paid £63 for the three match package.
Whatever the cost was, I remember saying to my brother as we were walking back to the bowling club that I would happily have paid that sum just to witness that display.
Their whole team were on song and passed the ball around us like we were dustbins.
An absolute masterclass

Nae Anton Rogan? Oh well...

Best player I've seen personally play against us at Ibrox must be Paolo Maldini. Aye it was the Legends game in 2012 but I'm still counting it. Especially considering his career.

I actually did think that at the time.
I might be a bit befuddled with age but IIRC we paid £63 for the three match package.
Whatever the cost was, I remember saying to my brother as we were walking back to the bowling club that I would happily have paid that sum just to witness that display.
Their whole team were on song and passed the ball around us like we were dustbins.
An absolute masterclass
Got applauded off the pitch from those that were left. Probably the best entire team performance i've seen in the flesh.

Got applauded off the pitch from those that were left. Probably the best entire team performance i've seen in the flesh.
I remember the cartoon in the next issue of Follow Follow had Ravanelli with his jumper pulled over his head in his trademark celebration and saying, "If we all play like this for the rest of the game will it even things up?"
We would probably still have got horsed by them.
Best team I have ever seen

Back