Best piece of commentary

On 'Big Break' , years ago , "For those of you watching in black and white , the pink is behind the brown"
:D

Jock Brown -

“launched infield by Stevens there’s Butcher back with Wilkins!!! Absolutely magnificent from Ray Wilkins”

Helicopter Sunday, Fiorentina and this little beauty, McCoist has gascoigne racing through the middle. Fantastic

Fiorentina and helicopter Sunday are just tremendous!

Not the biggest Crocker fan but "That...is...just...brilliant!" for Mendes' goal at the chamber of secrets was also really good

Helicopter Sunday would be mine - had no expectations that day so the euphoria was the best I’ve felt as a Rangers fan.

1. "Manchester brace yourself..."
2. "The helicopter..."
3. "Here's Gascoigne... showing great determination..."
4. "Might be a shooting chance for Albertz. He's going all the waaaaayyyy - Aaaalllbertzz..."
5. "PAULO VANOLIIIIIII"

"A huge roar goes up in the stands, the Rangers stands here, and Motherwell, we are told, have scored. Scott McDonald has scored for Motherwell, we'll bring you that goal as soon as we can"

"This is absolutely remarkable, look at the celebrations there. They came into this game hoping for a miracle. They haven't had one miracle, they've had two, and it looks like Rangers are about to win a most unlikely Championship.. and it's all over. !!"

Helicopter is most memorable. Defining.
I was working that day, but in a TV shop thank fuckity, JFK moment for sure.

Non gers, not exactly in game/

* Your boys took a helluva beating.

* The explanation, Tim Vickery maybe, that the legendary South American cry by the commentator of "GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLL" was purely a device by the commentator to buy them time to identify the goalscorer due to them being up in the gods and unable to easily see.

* Agree with the Peter Jones Diego 86 quote. I can mind that clear as day, even tho I was pished.

Edit, I see it was Barry Davies that was mentioned, I thought it Peter Jones. Will check.

Edit#2

Shite, I was wrong. It was Bryon Butler's commentary I remember. "little eel" etc.

Last edited:
Because of how often I've watched it, Jock Brown's 'A goal made in England' which accompanied Wilkins' volley.

Mine has to be fiorentina UEFA cup match when novo steps up for the penalty.
“Manchester brace yourself, Rangers are coming. Scotland will have its big night aswell. The Scots are coming and you know what Manchester might not be big enough. They don’t need Visas and the Won’t need passports.
Ah still get goosebumps
have to agree was brilliant hearing that one

In the 80s I used to have a blue '45 of the 72 ECWC radio commentary highlights. Played it relentlessly, so I can remember most of it word for word even now. Lost the record itself years ago.

Cooper, Bang, Goal, Sensation- does it for me. Arthur Montford, I think it was the goal against Hibs in the 2nd leg of a League Cup semi in 85 (we lost 2-1 on aggregate)

My immediate thought was ‘Manchester, brace yourself’ but I was immediately reminded of ‘The helicopter is changing direction’. I can’t pick between them.

for nostalgic reasons I like....'you could have driven a bus through the celtic defence'

nowhere near the best but it takes me back to watching the 9 in a row videos in my youth

don't ask me which one its from haha

New Year's Day 1994. We were two up in 3 minutes or so, three up in less than 30. What a day :))

Helicopter is changing direction will never be beaten for me. Still get goosebumps to this day

From a Rangers perspective it has to be "Manchester brace yourselves", but as for the wider world the Norwegian commentator going tonto after Norway beat England 2-1 in 1981 is a classic. "Lord Beaverbrook, Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden................Maggie Thatcher, your boys took a helluva beating, your boys took one helluva beating" :))

From a Rangers perspective it has to be "Manchester brace yourselves", but as for the wider world the Norwegian commentator going tonto after Norway beat England 2-1 in 1981 is a classic. "Lord Beaverbrook, Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden................Maggie Thatcher, your boys took a helluva beating, your boys took one helluva beating" :))
lol i've never heard of that. I'm going to start a google!

Reactions: ao2
Most of Brian Moore's commentary during the 92/93 Euro run - the 1st goal vs Marseille in particular. "What a substitution!"

I loved Brian Moore commentating on our games. Really added to the top class euro game feel, rather than some second division stiff from Scotsport on STV. Would probably have been Jock Brown back then? I shudder to think.

Flick by fleck. Goal!
Arthur montford at his best. I've no idea why this commentary has always stuck in my head but there it is. It was during a euro tie against ilves tampere that he said it. The same game davie cooper skinned half the team then went back and skinned them again

I hope whoever is commentating on the game when we win the league this year has a good script written out ready to go.

Agree with OP but 'the helicopter is changing direction' is a very close second!

Favourite non rangers commentary is the infamous AGGGUUEEROOOO!

Helicopter changing direction if I was forced to choose. Simply because I was watching it in our air base cafe in Iraq and the guy wanted to turn the telly off must have been a closet Dhim. Just gonna have a wee listen again

Back