Best piece of commentary

Always liked the bit in the first Rangers v Aberdeen Skol Cup Final where Archie says "the Rangers support have taken over" as the Billy Boys gets belted out.

“A goal made in England”. Wilkins volley against the Tim’s.
Just came on to post this, watched the 88/89 season review tonight on YouTube and that had a wee tear in my eye, first game as a season ticket holder for me, missed his at home two weeks before cause we’d been on holiday. But the goal made in England line will stay with me til the day I die

1 - UEFA Cup semi v Fiorentina pens (itv4 commentary)
2 - Albertz goal v filth in Scottish Cup semi 1998 (sky commentary)
3 - UEFA Cup QF v Sporting Lisbon, both goals (itv4 commentary)
4 - Helicopter Sunday
5 - Edu last minute v filth

Martin Tyler and Andy Gray's commentary after Jonas Thern's thunderbolt against Septic.. "awesome, absolutely awesome"

I loved Brian Moore commentating on our games. Really added to the top class euro game feel, rather than some second division stiff from Scotsport on STV. Would probably have been Jock Brown back then? I shudder to think.

STV covered the games and Gerry McNee and Gordon McQueen(?) were the commentary team.

Having only previously seen the games on the 5IAR video with Brian Moore and Ron Atkinson commenting - it was a bit of a surprise to hear the STV commentary when they did a documentary on our run a few years back.

Same during the later stages of the Manchester run when ITV had exclusive coverage from the quarter-finals onwards - STV did their coverage yet I don't know of a single bear that watched their coverage. Everyone remembers ITV4's coverage with Peter Drury and Jim Beglin and the iconic "Manchester, brace yourself..."

Even when I hear the duo commentating on other games nowadays, I always smile as it brings back some great memories from that run.

STV covered the games and Gerry McNee and Gordon McQueen(?) were the commentary team.

Having only previously seen the games on the 5IAR video with Brian Moore and Ron Atkinson commenting - it was a bit of a surprise to hear the STV commentary when they did a documentary on our run a few years back.

Same during the later stages of the Manchester run when ITV had exclusive coverage from the quarter-finals onwards - STV did their coverage yet I don't know of a single bear that watched their coverage. Everyone remembers ITV4's coverage with Peter Drury and Jim Beglin and the iconic "Manchester, brace yourself..."

Even when I hear the duo commentating on other games nowadays, I always smile as it brings back some great memories from that run.
Gerry McNee. Whatever happened to him?

Another good one for me was the 1999 title win at the piggery: "McCann is through here... he's past the keeper... and Neil McCann has clinched the championship for Rangers."
Back when Crocker wasn't just a tim cheerleader.

Im sure the STV commentary for Whittaker's goal against Lisbon was brilliant but can't find it any more/

An amusing Rangers one I recall from an u21 game on RTV when Jig was playing. Would have been around 2009-2011. There is a clear handball by one of our players, red card and pen. They hit the bar with the pen and then Tom Miller comes out with this...

"Justice"

Wish I had a clip of it.

Two non-rangers ones I really like:

1) John Motson after Patrick Kluivert stuck one past Alan Kelly in the RoI goal at Anfield in the Euro 96 playoff. 2 nil for Holland but reality was the young Netherlands side absolutely dominated their opponents.

"The future is bright, the future is Orange"

For the younger bears that was the tagline for mobile phone company at the time.

2) The Dutch commentary after Bergkamps goal against Aregentina in France '98.

"Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp, Dennis Bergkamp"

Last edited:
Mine has to be fiorentina UEFA cup match when novo steps up for the penalty.
“Manchester brace yourself, Rangers are coming. Scotland will have its big night aswell. The Scots are coming and you know what Manchester might not be big enough. They don’t need Visas and the Won’t need passports.
Ah still get goosebumps
This is my favourite too. Got the champagne out just after those immortal words and sat and watched the penalty shoot-out on repeat until I was absolutely smashed

Wilkins volley v the Tim's.. a goal made in England is a fave of mine.

Non Rangers goal.. Gerrard v olympiakos (I think) with Andy Gray yelling "oh ya beauty"!

Anyone remember the one from Goldson’s header against Killie at the start of the season? Guy was going absolutely mental. Remember seeing the video on here :))

Evreichin.
Jardine's in.
No whistle, Dave Smith has it.
Colin Stein.
Here's Stein - it's a goal!
It's a goal by Stein - what a goal!
What a goal by Stein. He followed that up and - woof - in it goes!

Here's Dave Smith.
Smith going up.
It's a good ball. It's a goal!
It's a goal by Willie Johnston!
The Russian defence caught out in the middle.
Willie Johnston's up there, a neat flick and the goalkeeper's completely deceived.
Rangers 2-0 up.

Here's Willie Johnston with a chance.
It's a goal!
It's a goal by Johnston.
Right out of the blue, Rangers 3 up.
Incredibly, 3 up.

P.S. I checked the team sheets. There was nobody called Evreichin in the Moscow Dynamo team.

Archie at his finest!

Arthur Montfords commentary in the '74 World Cup v. Brazil ' Watch your back Billy (Bremner) !!

Arthur was great! I remember a WC qualifier in the early 70s, Scotland had beaten Denmark in Denmark and Arthur, being a supporter with a microphone, was all excited. He finished his commentary with, "So, with the final score Denmark 1, Scotland 4, it's goodnight from Sweden."

Another Arthur gem was when he was doing a trailer for that weekend's Scotsport programme. "It promises to be an exciting weekend of football, so join you won't us on STV for all the action."

Mine has to be fiorentina UEFA cup match when novo steps up for the penalty.
“Manchester brace yourself, Rangers are coming. Scotland will have its big night aswell. The Scots are coming and you know what Manchester might not be big enough. They don’t need Visas and the Won’t need passports.
Ah still get goosebumps

Me too. I couldn't get to see the game that night, I was working overseas, followed the game in the hotel bar and via SMS updates from my mate back home. By the time we were into penalties he was sending 'scored, missed etc', I bit the bullet and rang him, he never answered just put the phone to his TV and all I heard was..."Manchester brace yourself, Rangers are coming......."

Tremendous.

I only heard it last week but you can't deny his passion for the club.
Agreed, he’s a huge supporter that isn’t in question. He also knows a great deal about the club as well. In terms of commentary however I always think he sounds like someone off a local radio station as opposed to a national broadcaster for radio 5 live say

Back