Best players to play at Ibrox

Valencia team were something else. Mendieta is/was seriously underrated at the time. They had one of the best midfields ever in my opinion when you add in Gerard, Farinos, Albelda etc.... some team.

Robert Prosnecki when he was with Red Star was an incredible player as were Dinamo Kiev's Oleg Blokin and Igor Belanov (Both ex european players of the year). Ronadhinio from PSG was amazing also.

o
If you compile a best 11 of opponents to play at Ibrox in a competitive fixture who would you choose?

Here is my effort

GK - Buffon
DR - Zanetti
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Frank de Boer
DL- Thuram
MR - Ronaldinho
CM - Xavi
CM - Mendieta
ML - Hagi
FW - Del Piero
FW - Messi
On actual performances at Ibrox i would say Pele played better than Messi.

Does the OP actually mean players or performances??

Cause Messi as good as he is did absolutely heehaw against us at Ibrox in 2007 to warrant saying he was one of the best.

Players yes but performance no chance.

I'd have to say that goes to either Mendieta, Riquelme or any of the Juventus team that utterly destroyed us in 1995.

Didn't Lev Yashin play in goals for Moscow Dynamo in 1945? He was a great keeper.

What about George Best - although he was well past it when he played at Ibrox.

There have been so many. Buffon, Baresi, Maldini, Beckenbauer, Muller, Cruyff, Cantona, Kempes, Thuram, to name a few.

Any of the Juve team that just pipped us by 4.

Conte, Del Piero, Viali, Ravenelli, Torricelli etc

The Juve team that gave us a couple of skelpings where the best team I’ve ever seen.
Absolutely outstanding.

Any of the Juve team that just pipped us by 4.

Conte, Del Piero, Viali, Ravenelli, Torricelli etc

Never seen anything like it mate. That was 4 going on anything they wanted that night. Turin in the first game was even worse.

My First Euro Trip as a fresh faced 16 year old.

Most that I've seen have been mentioned, however one name seems to be missing some of the older bears may remember
Lubanski ,played for Gornik & he ripped us apart, it was Davie Whites last game. Sacked after that, Baxter scored for us that night but we got beat 3-1

If you compile a best 11 of opponents to play at Ibrox in a competitive fixture who would you choose?

Here is my effort

GK - Buffon
DR - Zanetti
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Frank de Boer
DL- Thuram
MR - Ronaldinho
CM - Xavi
CM - Mendieta
ML - Hagi
FW - Del Piero
FW - Messi
Cantona has to be in there

Definitely for me, I remember standing in complete awe as he just dominated the game. It was like he had a 3 foot forcefield round him l, no one could get near him

That is a brilliant description. One I will drop into conversations in future! He was majestic that night.

Riquelme, when people talk about "Rolls-Royce" this guy was the absolute epitome of that.

First few minutes of this video are highlights of the performance at Ibrox, he strolled it and could have easily had 4 or 5 assists.

Last edited:
Players I gave seen at Ibrox, although not necessarily they played at their best on our pitch.

Zoff
Thuram
Breitner
Beckenbauer
Krol
Xavi
Best
Neeskens
Muller
Messi
Cruyff

How do I fit in Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Riquelme and co!

No Bradley Kerr?
A night to remember, Today the East Enclosure would have been arrested en mass for the chants. His manager eventually moved him to the Govan Stand side which resulted in the chant “Bradley’s in the huff”
On reflection it was a bit ott.

how many were actually applauded by us? im
sure i remember Riquelme and maybe Hagi too getting absolute dogs abuse during the game but being acknowledged with respectful applause at the end of the game or when they were subbed off?

karim benzema - That drubbing my Lyon at home 3-0 .

He tore us a new one that night .

Think he was away to Madrid the following season

................I’ve included Kily Gonzalez as I’ve never seen a team tear us apart in the first half of any game the way Valencia did at Ibrox , and we were a right good team . Mendieta and Gonzalez simply were on another level . One of the cleverest players I’ve ever seen in the flesh . I nearly shoehorned Claudio Lopez in as well because of that game .

I was like many of us dizzy that night watching them in the first half. I was thinking we have a great team and are starting to get somewhere. We did and we were, and then they turned up. I remember reading somewhere that Pep Guardiola was a big fan of that Valencia team. Sublime and superb.

Back