Best players to play at Ibrox

The Juve team that gave us a couple of skelpings where the best team I’ve ever seen.
Absolutely outstanding.
Yes that was the best team ,my brother and myself stood up and applauded one of there goals and got dogs abuse for it but replied saying if you cant appreciate class your blind

As others have mentioned, performance I’ve ever seen was Del Piero. Some of the others mentioned are memorable, but wow we got thumped that night.

Yes that was the best team ,my brother and myself stood up and applauded one of there goals and got dogs abuse for it but replied saying if you cant appreciate class your blind

My memory is that the stadium stood to a man and applauded them off the park.

Has to be Medieta for me. We were a right good side at the time and Valencia pissed all over us at Ibrox that night.

Along with Claudio Lopez and Kily Gonzales, they had us on toast.

The fact that Craig Moore got one back and gave us half a chance of a draw says a lot about the quality of our team back then.

Was really disappointed that CF Valencia never went on to win the Cup that season. They deserved it.

So many. I have a cousin who saw Cruyff, and it came across as an "I was there" occasion. For those who saw him, was there ever better than Cruyff at Ibrox?

Vialli for Juventus in the 90s , think they hammered us 4-0 at home and won the Champions League that year. Remember Vialli took the warm up before the game right in front of us in the Govan and even that was intense.

I went to the away game. We took some support.
Del Piero was outstanding.

Rainer Bonhof and Mario Kempes were outstanding for Valencia who beat us 3-1 at Ibrox.
Rangers played great that night too but were just outclassed...1979 i think

From games I've attended, not necessarily based on performance that night, but on what they've achieved in the game:

Buffon
Thuram Ferdinand Toricelli
Messi Riquelme xavi iniesta Ronaldinho
Del piero Benzema

Remember Pancev, Hagi and scholes being a class above everyone else. Kily Gonzalez was also magnificent.

If you compile a best 11 of opponents to play at Ibrox in a competitive fixture who would you choose?

Here is my effort

GK - Buffon
DR - Zanetti
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Frank de Boer
DL- Thuram
MR - Ronaldinho
CM - Xavi
CM - Mendieta
ML - Hagi
FW - Del Piero
FW - Messi
Kempes

voeller

Best player I ever saw was Cruyff, but the team with the best players combined were Bayern Munich in '72.

Of the XI who played that night six went on to win World Cup winners medals.

Maier, Beckenbauer, Schwarzenbeck, Breitner, Hoeness and Muller also went on to win three European Cup medals apart from Breitner who only won it once.

Roth, Zobel and Hansen each won three EC's.

In total, nine of the players who played that night between them won 6 World Cups and 25 European Cups.

Only Koppenhofer and Schneider missed out on these.

Maier, Beckenbauer, Schwarzenbeck, Roth and Muller also won the ECWC (beat Rangers in Final)

Maier, Beckenbauer, Schwarzenbeck, Breitner, Hoeness and Muller won the European Championship in 1972.

Between all XI players they shared 39 Bundesliga titles.

Paul Breitner went on to win two La Liga's with Real Madrid and Johnny Hansen later won the Danish league with Vejle.

Buffon
Thuram
Beckenbuer
Krol

Neeskens
Riquelme
Brady
Best
Cruyff

Muller
Messi

3-5-2

After watching that Jimmy Greaves programme last night, he'd be pushing Muller hard for a starting place mate.

He looked a top drawer striker.

Gaizka Mendieta is always the performance that I think of every time and the player to be in there.
Absolute masterclass from him that night. Best individual performance I’ve seen from an opposition player at Ibrox.

Liam Brady was brilliant against us for Inter as was Altobeli that night, but best players I have seen at Ibrox were Cruyff and then Kempes.

If you compile a best 11 of opponents to play at Ibrox in a competitive fixture who would you choose?

Here is my effort

GK - Buffon
DR - Zanetti
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Frank de Boer
DL- Thuram
MR - Ronaldinho
CM - Xavi
CM - Mendieta
ML - Hagi
FW - Del Piero
FW - Messi
Davie Cooper surely?
He looked great for Clydebank year before he signed.

Gk Buffon Parma
Rb Thuram Parma/Barca
Lb Lizarazu Bayern
Ch Cannavaro Parma
Ch Sammer Dortmund
Rm Pele Marseille
Cm Iniesta Barca
Cm Mendieta Valencia
Lm Overmars Ajax
Cf Del Piero Juve
Cf Kluivert Ajax

Gullit been mentioned? 1984 KLM Cup

1963 vs Real: Puskas and Di Stefano. 1-0 Real, Dad says we were the better team that night, they ripped us a new backside in the return, 6-0.

Back