Best professional footballer's 'put down' of an opposition player?

It was neither of the Keans. Btw only Roy played in that game It was in fact Craig Bell-end who made the remark
Did Bellamy not ask the Clyde player how much he was paid, and when the player told him, he said: "I pay my gardener more than that2

Not quite what the OP is after but I'll post nonetheless.

Mate of mine (good bear) down in Liverpool for a stag do. Standing at the bar in the hotel and Jamie Carragher is there. Lot of cunts making a fuss over him. He goes over:

Him - 'awright Jamie, any chance of a photo'

JC - 'yes mate, no problem'

Him - hands Carragher the phone and stands next to Les Denis, who was also there.

JC took the photo to be fair to him.

Not quite sure if this fits in with your line of questioning in the thread but when Gazza nutmegged the Thistle player and then doubled over n looked through his legs at him is a favourite of mine . I’m sure there’s a YouTube clip of it somewhere

It definitely does mate as I was about to post that exact moment.

Gazza actually thought about putting back through his legs the opposite way he came lol. Wee McDonald I think his name was, was raging haha.

Cricket has a few belters. Waugh and James Ormand (journeyman player who managed to get in the test squad twice)
"Mark Waugh: "What are you doing out here? You're too shit to play for England!" Ormond: "Maybe so, but at least I'm the best player in my family".

Merv Hughes and Javid Miandad. Miandad called him a fat bus conductor. Merv gets him out, runs past shouting "tickets please!"

I know they are both cnuts but there was a rumour going about when Broon was at Hivs and TLB was at them, TLB was giving it the big'un to Broon about his houses and stuff. Broon retorted "I stiy in a cooncil hoose in Hill 'o' Beath and I'll still kick your cnut in."

I thought it was funny at the time but now I just see it for the wanton and senseless violence that only a deranged, lego munching prick could say, that it is.

Kevin Thomson booming Robbie Keane in the first five minutes at Ibrox. Shoved him over on his way back up for good measure.

KT knew the score and Keane sh@t it

Something a lot of people dont notice with this. After KT nails him with a hard but fair tackle, if you look closely, Keane actually grabs/nips him obviously trying to provoke him before he's brushed aside.

What a player Kevin was. Would've been our captain had injuries not got the better of him.

Heard this years ago from a friend of John Brown. Rangers are playing the scum at the glitter dome and the players are out warming up. McCoist and Mo Johnston are warming up near the halfway line. In the scum half near the halfway line Shitey Galloway is warming up. During that week a story had broke that the vermin were trying to offload him to a team like Notts County or similar for £50,000.

McCoist shouts to Mo, "I see Celtic are trying to sell that Galloway guy." Galloway's ears obviously prick up. Mo shouts back to Ally, "Aye I heard that, Notts County or somebody, there only wanting £50,000." Ally returns with, "Mon me and you'll buy him and he can dae oor gerdins."
I've only got this far on this thread (which is a cracker btw) but I'm declaring this as the winner!
:) :) :)

Heard this years ago from a friend of John Brown. Rangers are playing the scum at the glitter dome and the players are out warming up. McCoist and Mo Johnston are warming up near the halfway line. In the scum half near the halfway line Shitey Galloway is warming up. During that week a story had broke that the vermin were trying to offload him to a team like Notts County or similar for £50,000.

McCoist shouts to Mo, "I see Celtic are trying to sell that Galloway guy." Galloway's ears obviously prick up. Mo shouts back to Ally, "Aye I heard that, Notts County or somebody, there only wanting £50,000." Ally returns with, "Mon me and you'll buy him and he can dae oor gerdins."
Came into this thread thinking it’d be shite but I’ve just read this and burst out laughing at that.You can just see they 2 actually saying it in your head.Brilliant! :))

Alfie Conn worked in The Louden years ago, Colin Jackson had asked me to give him a job, one of the older regulars came in, looked at Alfie, then looked at me, then Alfie again. He then says to Alfie ' hated you when you signed for them, good job you were sh*te, Alfie reply 'You used to have to pay a lot of money to abuse me, now you can do it for a pound and get a pint of Lager'
Two of them became very friendly.

Last edited:
Enjoying this thread. Love the players of various sports winding each other up about being shite. The players who boast to inferior players about their bank balance, cars and houses etc are absolute pricks. That is tim behaviour

not a player so much as a manager, bill shankly when talking about tony hately,said 100,000 wouldnt buy him,and tommy docherty replied ,aye and im one of them
A better one than that from Shankly, he was describing the Everton striker Latchford.
He said his speed was deceptive, he’s slower than you think.

Cricket has a few belters. Waugh and James Ormand (journeyman player who managed to get in the test squad twice)
"Mark Waugh: "What are you doing out here? You're too shit to play for England!" Ormond: "Maybe so, but at least I'm the best player in my family".

Merv Hughes and Javid Miandad. Miandad called him a fat bus conductor. Merv gets him out, runs past shouting "tickets please!"
A take on that one was when one of the Warne brothers asked Botham how it felt not to be the best player in the country any more.
Botham’s reply “ Feck off, you’re not even the best player in your house”.

I know they are both cnuts but there was a rumour going about when Broon was at Hivs and TLB was at them, TLB was giving it the big'un to Broon about his houses and stuff. Broon retorted "I stiy in a cooncil hoose in Hill 'o' Beath and I'll still kick your cnut in."

I thought it was funny at the time but now I just see it for the wanton and senseless violence that only a deranged, lego munching prick could say, that it is.
I’d bet Lennon got the message though.
What happened to Brown is sad.

Mark Lawrence and told me this one at a lunch.
Liverpool had just paid a record transfer fee for a left back when they signed Alan Kennedy from Newcastle United.
He made his debut and to say he wasn’t impressive in the first half was something of an understatement.
A fuming Bob Paisley comes in to the dressing room, goes straight up to the new left back and said : ‘Son, they shot the wrong Kennedy.’

Don't know the player but apparently the late John Lambie was lambasting his squad after a heavy defeat one day. The unused sub obviously felt he was exempt from such criticism and didn't seem too bothered. JL sensing his lack of concern goes straight up to him and screams "as for you son, you must be really shite if you cannae get a game ahead of that lot!!!

Back