Best Rangers penalty taker you have seen

Really? I used to watch Novo's penalties from behind the sofa.

One of the worst strikers of a football I've ever seen.
I’d agree here but, I can’t remember too many misses.
I always thought the lack of power from him gave the keeper a chance.
Maybe this genuinely was sending the keeper the wrong way.

Jardine was very good.

For taking one under pressure it has to be Davie Cooper.
That penalty against Wales in 85 will remain as the most nerve shredding kick I’ve ever seen.
He put himself forward for it, brave brave man he was

Tavernier's situation is a strange one, he goes from being one of the best I've seen, hitting with decent power either to the corners or down the middle to once he misses the wheels come off. Do we think he takes the next one?

Tavernier's situation is a strange one, he goes from being one of the best I've seen, hitting with decent power either to the corners or down the middle to once he misses the wheels come off. Do we think he takes the next one?
No doubt whatsoever for me.

Hubbard
End thread
No need to end thread but you've got the right answer.

I am old enough to just have caught the end of his Rangers career although he carried on for a few years elsewhere.

But he had a hell of a record with penalties.

My dad used to recount a tail when we got a disputed pen against the tramps who surrounded and jostled the ref more or less on the penalty spot. Hubbard was bent over in the middle of this dusting off the spot, as was his habit, totally unfazed by it all. I don't need to tell you where the ball ended up.

We missed a ridiculous amount of penalties in the 1960's something like 10 different players who failed to score from the spot, (Caldow, and Penman missed quite a few), but the one player who I don't remember missing any was Davie Provan, who I think scored around 10 times from the spot.
In the early 1970's, Willie Johnston scored about a dozen in the first two seasons.
His last one was when he came off the bench at St Johnstone and scored a Hat Trick of penalties, with the last one being saved, before he slotted home the rebound.

Hubbard
End thread
I can just about remember him but it is more an image of a player rather than moments in games. However I have this memory, which I think I may have invented because my Dad used to recall it, of a reserve game at Ibrox and he tells the opposition goalie what corner he will put the penalty. At those reserve games you could near enough hear every word on the park. True to his word JH put it in the designated corner - and sent the keeper the wrong way.
Far from living a life of luxury in a grand suburban house or the West End Johnnie for a spell lived on PRW almost facing Bellahouston Park in a tenement.

Back