Best Rangers penalty taker you have seen

Boyd, however during that era I always wanted Novo to hit them.

Can only remember Boyd missing 1, against Killie in a 4-0 victory & he hit the bar with a FK too.

Last edited:
Really? I used to watch Novo's penalties from behind the sofa.

One of the worst strikers of a football I've ever seen.
Remember Novo scoring 10 or so + Florence, don’t recall him ever missing to be honest.

Was always confident when he stepped up, he loved a side foot pass to the keepers left.

Think the “worst strikers of a ball”’comment is pretty harsh, scored some cracking strikes like Sevilla, Celtic, Dundee United x2, Livorno?.

Wasn’t the most technically gifted player, but he could strike a ball.

Last edited:
Arteta. I think the first one I remember was at Dens Park, against Dundee; it was a late one, and we were losing, so the pressure was on as well. He just looked as if he wouldn't miss.

Arteta missed one against Hibs at hampden in league cup semi. We then lost the shootout. Klos saved three of them and we still didnt win

Always felt comfortable when I saw Kris Boyd step up to take a penalty.

Novo will always have a special place up there for Fiorentina... Standing up on my couch screaming "PLEASE NACHO! POR FAVOR! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

Remember Novo scoring 10 or so + Florence, don’t recall him ever missing to be honest.

Was always confident when he stepped up, he loved a side foot pass to the keepers left.

Think the “worst strikers” of a ball comment is pretty harsh, scored some cracking strikes like Sevilla, Celtic, Dundee United x2, Livorno?.

Wasn’t the most technically gifted player, but he could strike a ball.
Think Novo had 10 or so in a row when he first signed including one vs the unmentionables

Sandy Jardine.
I think he missed one at tyncastle and I couldn’t believe it .
He hit the post I think ?
Can anyone help when this was .

Plenty of us never saw Hubbard.

So let's not end thread mate.

For me, it's Sandy but that's through the misty memories of childhood.

I don't know if the stats would put Sandyhigh up on the list behind Hubbard.
Dont put him off putting these names forward. It has the advantage of making me feel a bit younger and reminds me of the old fella :))

After today's penalty miss it occured to me that in almost 30 years following Rangers there is only one man I can truly say I was truly confident when stepping up to hit a penalty and it was Kris Boyd. Albertz was decent for a spell then missed a good few. Anyone think of a better penalty taker we've had in this period?
The advantage Albertz had over others was the keepers were in fear of their lives when he struck the ball in their direction :))

After today's penalty miss it occured to me that in almost 30 years following Rangers there is only one man I can truly say I was truly confident when stepping up to hit a penalty and it was Kris Boyd. Albertz was decent for a spell then missed a good few. Anyone think of a better penalty taker we've had in this period?
Johnny Hubbard.

Arteta. I think the first one I remember was at Dens Park, against Dundee; it was a late one, and we were losing, so the pressure was on as well. He just looked as if he wouldn't miss.
Wasn’t that the game when Barry Ferguson missed two? Up till then I don’t remember him ever missing one.

I’d say Cooper or McCoist.

There was a lad at Accies a few years ago, Tony Stevenson, who never missed. He also scored from free kicks and corners. Was in our title winning squad in 2008, and played a few games in the top flight, but never made it. Still only 32, he now plays for Petershill.

Scored a pen in our penultimate, title winning game, at home to Clyde.

In our first game in the SPL in 2008, Monday night home game, televised v Dundee United, the bookies had Stevenson 50-1 to be the first scorer. One of those occasions when local knowledge trumps the bookies, because even though he only had about a dozen first team appearances at that point, and wasn’t a certain starter, we all knew if he played he was likely to score. The price started falling, and I got on him at 25-1. Still a steal. First goal went to United, but it was an OG by Mark McLaughlin. Then Accies got a free kick about 25 yards out, Stevenson stepped up, and made a lot of Accies fans a lot richer.

Accies won 3-1. I remember speaking to Allan Maitland at half time: “Stevenson’s some player” I burbled, excitedly, but Allan pointed out he was at fault for the United goal.

Wasn’t that the game when Barry Ferguson missed two? Up till then I don’t remember him ever missing one.

I’d say Cooper or McCoist.

There was a lad at Accies a few years ago, Tony Stevenson, who never missed. He also scored from free kicks and corners. Was in our title winning squad in 2008, and played a few games in the top flight, but never made it. Still only 32, he now plays for Petershill.

Scored a pen in our penultimate, title winning game, at home to Clyde.

In our first game in the SPL in 2008, Monday night home game, televised v Dundee United, the bookies had Stevenson 50-1 to be the first scorer. One of those occasions when local knowledge trumps the bookies, because even though he only had about a dozen first team appearances at that point, and wasn’t a certain starter, we all knew if he played he was likely to score. The price started falling, and I got on him at 25-1. Still a steal. First goal went to United, but it was an OG by Mark McLaughlin. Then Accies got a free kick about 25 yards out, Stevenson stepped up, and made a lot of Accies fans a lot richer.

Accies won 3-1. I remember speaking to Allan Maitland at half time: “Stevenson’s some player” I burbled, excitedly, but Allan pointed out he was at fault for the United goal.
Yeah, that was the one. Great story about the Accies player BTW.

Geordie Young and Caldow were consistent but Hubbard was the tops.
Cooper deserves special mention for his pressure ones.

Back