Best signings we made from the Junior leagues?

Some showing their ages here!

Quick fire question, when was the last time we signed someone from the junior leagues? Can't have been in the last 20 years?
Darren McGregor (indirectly) came from Arniston Rangers, played in the Juniors until he was 23!

Not sure of junior versus amateur etc. & the definition has changed over the years
But didn't we initially get Durrant from a junior league - or am I on the wrong wavelength? (again)
Kinning Park. Always remember it on the pre match graphic before one of the sheep Cup finals, probably 87, and asking my dad what league Kinning Park were in because it wasn't the Fine Fare Premier Division

Read Sam English book ”Tortured“ by good Ranger, Jeff Holmes
Great read about Sam in junior football before joining Rangers, certainly opened my eyes about this level of football in late 1920’s and early 1930’s fascinating.
Think it was Yoker he was farmed out to.

Yes, kind of fair haired guy Jonathan ?
That might be Ian McDonald you're thinking of Grigo. Home grown player, highly-rated, who was unlucky with injuries and moved on to Dundee United.

Ian McDougall was dark brown. I remember him well because, as a youngster I (and others) ran onto the pitch at Newlandsfield to mob him when he scored his fourth for Pollok in a 7-2 win against Yoker!

Meadow won the 1973 Scottish Cup against Cambuslang Rangers after 2 replays That stopped Cambuslang winning 3 in a row
Stupid me I was at most of the cambuslang games and those finals! I knew in the back of my mind,there was 3 involved stayed in Burnside at the time if Rangers were away I'd watch Glencairn or Cambuslang liked the junior Fitba.

One we maybe missed out on, Lindsay Kydd (full back) about 1976, Blairgowrie Juniors, previously Alyth Juniors and linked with a few senior teams (Aston Villa, Hibs, Dundee, Forfar, Montrose). Scottish Junior Player of the Year previous year signed for Arbroath when I believe he had an offer from us. Different times eh.

That might be Ian McDonald you're thinking of Grigo. Home grown player, highly-rated, who was unlucky with injuries and moved on to Dundee United.

Ian McDougall was dark brown. I remember him well because, as a youngster I (and others) ran onto the pitch at Newlandsfield to mob him when he scored his fourth for Pollok in a 7-2 win against Yoker!
I remember my Dad saying he would not last long at Newlansfield (meaning he would go to a big senior team) Another one was Fraser Wishart and he always said the best player ever played for Pollok was Bobby Collins even though he went to Celtic

Stupid me I was at most of the cambuslang games and those finals! I knew in the back of my mind,there was 3 involved stayed in Burnside at the time if Rangers were away I'd watch Glencairn or Cambuslang liked the junior Fitba.

It was. Age, eh ? Lol

Ronnie McKinnon. Years ahead of his time. Centre half who could actually play the game, not just blotter the ball up the park. McNeill was some player, but Ronnie was better

Ronnie McKinnon. Years ahead of his time. Centre half who could actually play the game, not just blotter the ball up the park. McNeill was some player, but Ronnie was better

Great player, who broke his leg that famous night in Lisbon during the Barcelona run.

Luckily we had an 18yo who turned out to be not bad to replace him.

Bobby Russell for me. What a standard of player our schools must've churned out if a player of his elegance and class was signed from a junior league side.

In my lifetime has to be Bobby Russell.you could probably ask the same question about signing a player from a part-time team in Scotland and going straight into the first team.the last one’s I recall was Kenny Watson from Montrose and Davie Cooper from clydebank.i seen them both play at links park before they signed for us

Alex Ferguson from the Bens?
He tells a story about Ronnie McKinnon,himself and another player leaving bens ground one summers night and Ronnie McKinnon saying “come on we’ll go down the road and sign for rangers”six months later Ronnie McKinnon did sign for rangers.all three of those players all ended up at Ibrox

Back