Best signings we made from the Junior leagues?

remembertheepoch

what is the thoughts on this one. Some huge names we have signed over the years but my take goes to George Young who signed from Kirky Rob Roy. 6 League titles 4 Scottish cup and 2 league Cups and in the Scottish football hall of fame

Torry Gillick from Petershill.
He joined Petershill as a 16 year old, signed in late 1932 to replace our top scorer George Fulton who had signed for St. Johnstone. Torry scored 30 goals in just over half a season and signed for Rangers in summer 1933.

Afaik he is the only player that Bill Struth signed twice, and also the only player to win the Scottish Cup either side of WW2.

Not sure of junior versus amateur etc. & the definition has changed over the years
But didn't we initially get Durrant from a junior league - or am I on the wrong wavelength? (again)

Some showing their ages here!

Quick fire question, when was the last time we signed someone from the junior leagues? Can't have been in the last 20 years?

Jesus mate. That's impressive. Genuinely I dont think I've not seen us make any signings from that level. Unless I was too young to remember.
I'm sure meadow won junior Cup 2/3 times in a row and we signed this guy may be wrong with the name,wish some of the gers historians were reading this post!

Robert Russell one of my favourite ever Rangers players.
Watched him in the semi final of the Scottish cup Shettleston v Rob Roy at Firhill. Although Rob Roy won he was a standout and signed for the Gers at the end of that season. What a player he was, naturally gifted. Met him years later in Dullatur golf club when he was in for a night with a mutual friend. Loved his time at Rangers

Watched him in the semi final of the Scottish cup Shettleston v Rob Roy at Firhill. Although Rob Roy won he was a standout and signed for the Gers at the end of that season. What a player he was, naturally gifted. Met him years later in Dullatur golf club when he was in for a night with a mutual friend. Loved his time at Rangers
A wee point of interest:
His ex boss @ Possilpark Ym, Bobby Dinnie, has two sons called Robert & Russell. Bobby Russell still keeps in touch to this day. Mutual respect!!

I remember my old man took me to yoker v shettleston game just before Bobby Russell signed for gers. He was an absolute stand out and easily our best player to come from the juniors

Back