Best Story of meeting a Rangers player?

Met Gary Bollan at Kelso races he said that he thought he'd won the lottery but a nice guy,

Went to a crowded house gig in secc years ago, just before the start I nip to the toilets.
Standing at the next pisser to me was Gordon Smith.
I was somewhat star struck as he was part of “my team” from 1978.
Wasn’t able to strike up a conversation but I did get a glimce of his wee cock.

1996ish when the players still went to Ibrox every day, my mate burnt Stuart McCall's hand with a fag when he was handing over a pen to get an autograph.

Ian Black being totally blanked by the Ibrox Bar in Benidorm when he turned up to watch the 2016 cup final was rather amusing.

Some years back I was in seeing a customer and who was there talking away to the customer was Barry Ferguson. I was introduced to him and we talked for a bit.

The customer asked when I was going to Tenerife on holiday and I replied ‘a couple of weeks yet’ to which Barry Ferguson said ‘wish it was me’ to which I replied......I wish that I played for Rangers!

Only few weeks later I bumped into him again at Glasgow Airport when he came up and blethered away......he was brand new.

Met Derek Parlane with his wife and another couple in The Golden Last pub in Benidorm......also very down to earth and approachable.

Walter Smith done our presentation at u12's in the Greenock Rangers when he was assistant to Souness, before the presentation formally starts he's having a laugh with a few of the boys in the team who have turned up early, turns to me wearing a black tie and white shirt and says "ffs wee man you going to a funeral" :))

My wee boys story....

The profile pic I have is of my wee boy who had both his Colombian tops signed by none other than Alfredo after the last Killie game at home, he's got 2 of the same strip, plan was to wear one and try and get Alfredo to try and sign 1, we waited after the game Alfredo comes over signs the top I'm holding for the wee man, he makes his way to his car along with security I handed his top and pen over to his mum at this point and said to the wee man "we'll head to his car and try and get a photo with him for you" So we head over to his Lamborghini and the guy that was with Alfredo spots the wee man decked out in his Colombia strip points at him and says "Colombia" and proceeds to pick the wee man up and flings him in the passengers seat of Alfredo's Lamborghini with Alfredo sitting in the drivers seat, has a quick chat with the wee man and signed his second top he was wearing with Morelos #9 along the front. The wee man was speechless the whole journey back home from Ibrox that night. :))
Great story mate. Love hearing stuff like that

I also had the privilege of having the goalie at my youngest boys after baptism do. Through a mutual friend, Andy came into the pub and sat talking away to us for ages. Refused to take any drinks from us but insisted on buying. I must have asked him to sign every beer mat I could find. A perfect gentleman that night.

I've met loads over the years but one stands out.
I used to work with Grahame Souness's brother & he invited me & my son to the Blackburn v Arsenal game when GS was manager,
So GS had us in his office right up until 20 minutes before kick off but with him was Walter Smith & at that time he was Man United assistant manager & he said he was there to look over a player for " Alex" some scandananavian left sided midfielder that played for Blackburn? GS,s brother big Bill said he didn't think he was a " Fergie " type of player.
Walter then replied not Alex Ferguson, Alex Mcleish!!!
Could hardly believe it these legends talking openly about the Rangers & they were winding my son up saying you better be a bluenose or they wouldn't sign his programme
What a day ,director,s box, players lounge never forget it
Billy is a top man as was Jimmy GSs Dad

About 12 yrs old and was at Cameron house for the week with the family. Fairly boring week, until when
playing snooker one day in walks Gazza and five bellies and challenged me and my cousins to a tournament. Needless to say our boring week soon transformed and my lucky older cousins staggered back into lodge around 5am that morning after an all nighter with them lol. What a legend he was.
Utter class, can't help but think half these antics wouldn't have taken place in a social media world we live in now

Some years back I was in seeing a customer and who was there talking away to the customer was Barry Ferguson. I was introduced to him and we talked for a bit.

The customer asked when I was going to Tenerife on holiday and I replied ‘a couple of weeks yet’ to which Barry Ferguson said ‘wish it was me’ to which I replied......I wish that I played for Rangers!

Only few weeks later I bumped into him again at Glasgow Airport when he came up and blethered away......he was brand new.
It was sad the way his rangers career ended

Met Caldow at Harrogate True Blues night and also frequently bump into McCall as he lives near by.
Met loads of 9 in a row legends briefly at Bradford game as I had a suite ticket.

Two for me

Me and my mate were thrown off a tennis court by Ally Dawson and Robert Prytz, was a preseason tour in Switzerland. They claimed they had booked the court, and I wasn’t about to argue with them, much as I would have liked to.

Had a pish beside Ted McMinn at the Caley Club in Inverness after a friendly against the old Caley.

I've met loads and they were all brilliant in fairness but the best one was bill mohsni.

He had signed for Dundee United and was in asda at midnight , I just stopped him at the door for a selfie and he stopped chatted and I said I'll let you get on, don't want to keep you and he said to me , "no it's fine, then spent an hour talking about rangers, how man city are a rich club but not a big club like us , the Lee Erwin fight , how richard foster was a big rangers man and really tried hard , everyone loves Ally, he expected to end his career at Rangers (I stifled a laugh).
He also told me Stuart McCall walked in and on day one told him he would be away and ignored a lot of players (which is justified as they were rotten).

3x I said I'll leave you too it but was delighted that he just kept talking I depth about Rangers, I was very Impressed with him and the amount of topics he covered , I would say a player seemed like they didnt care (Foster) and he would tell examples as to why I was wrong, and things I didn't know.
Also rangers set up a praying area for him.

A great guy was Bilel.
I remember the Sheffield Wednesday friendly we played I watched him spend loads of time for pictures and autographs with a group of kids that were in the stand they opened for those of us with home end tickets,he did come across as a decent guy.

Met quite a few players over the years here and there but the one that was really down to earth and chatted away to me and my mate was Scott Wilson just after he made his breakthrough when we met him in the tunnel back in the 90s.
He blanked his mates for about 20 minutes while chatting away and bought is both some drinks before he carried on his night.

Davy Wilson used to shop in the supermarket I worked in and would always have a quick chat about the gers when he was in,top bloke.

Last edited:
Bumped in to Ally Mccoist when I was getting dragged out the Stork Club in East Kilbride by the bouncers, must have been early 90s.

Seen McCoist a few times as his parents stayed next to my Auntie.
Andy Goram handed out trophys at my football teams presentation back in the day.
Met Helander a few weeks ago shopping in Glasgow with his wife and his wee dog called 'teddy' was with them.
Seen Willie Henderson alot kicking about Livingston bookies lol.
Mark Hateley was on the same flight as me last year from Glasgow-Dubai.

Terry Hurlock came to our supporters club player of the year dance, back in the day players came to such functions.
He was built like a brick shit house, but what a fantastic player.

Billy is a top man as was Jimmy GSs Dad
You better believe it one of the nicest guys I've come across.
We came off a rig together & he knew my son had just been rushed to hospital & he offered to drive me from Aberdeen to Glasgow while he stayed in Edinburgh
Big Bill diamond

Once sat bevvying with big dado prso,great big guy

Got a kiss off big amo

Met most of them through the years

Met lionel charbonnier in bonkers one night him and a wee fat french dude got talking to them both for about 30 mins, bought him a southern comfort & lemonade and wee french pal a whisky , he was a really nice guy just chatted away about his time so far living in glasgow , his wee french pal was funny though i asked him if he was enjoying glasgow and he said yes the girls are very loose lol. The young burds were all over them both

Met Richard Gough at our supporters dance, offered to buy him a pint but he kindly refused. Mark Walters was meant to appear with him but had to pull out. Gough apologises but then asked if the DJ had a tape deck as he had a tape of Walters singing the Sash Caribbean style. Never got to hear the tape !

Mark Hateley goes to the same pub quiz as me. First met him coming out of the facilities. Then picked his name out of the hat for the raffle.

Met Gazza at the Harvester next to Bournemouth beach of all places. Happily had his pictures taken with me and the kids and talked away about the Gers. This was 7years ago.

Was talking to my mate about the goalie and how good bla bla...and there turns the goalie and winked and a smile. Was a good laugh as it was completely unknown that he was there! Didn't talk to him though

Arthur Numan on a few occasions coming over to the complex across from Ibrox while we used to have a kick about. Was a great guy and a good laugh. Always seemed genuinely interested in just watching us play football and talking about it. Hero.
Always asked stefan Klos the time in toys r us.
Met Shagger in a wee Italian restaurant across from Thai Siam (cant remember the name) while he was in with that blonde hint he was going out with. Was proper sound with having a few words and picture.

Gazza went to my mates house in Newcastle to film a Daz advert. He ended up drinking a bottle of red wine from the kitchen.
It was the week before he beat up his missus so the ad was pulled and never shown on Tv.

Got some pictures of them at his house.

Arthur Numan on a few occasions coming over to the complex across from Ibrox while we used to have a kick about. Was a great guy and a good laugh. Always seemed genuinely interested in just watching us play football and talking about it. Hero.
Always asked stefan Klos the time in toys r us.
Met Shagger in a wee Italian restaurant across from Thai Siam (cant remember the name) while he was in with that blonde hint he was going out with. Was proper sound with having a few words and picture.
Thought shagger didn’t like having his photo taken with fans so he must’ve changed

Used to work in trash behind the bar. Craig Moore came in pished (whilst he was out injured). Was a bit annoyed at him as he was jumping about mental on the dance floor smoking like a lum. He was our captain at the time as well. He was adamant he was getting my TIT tee shirt, as in “Tuesday’s in Trash”! (complete with big tits on the front) and was trying to swap his t-shirt for it.
Gough was in with them and kept saying how he should be watching and taking care of himself better. Kept referring to us as “Glasgow Rangers”.
That’s actually a tame story. Some of the sights in that place were incredible :D

Met Shagger a few months ago, right across from our house, picking up his daughter from school. My boys went over and asked to get ! photo taken with him. He did let us but he wasnt smiling much in the photo. Cant really blame him as he was just trying to pick up his daughter but my boys were so excited they needed to ask him.

Used to work in trash behind the bar. Craig Moore came in pished (whilst he was out injured). Was a bit annoyed at him as he was jumping about mental on the dance floor smoking like a lum. He was our captain at the time as well. He was adamant he was getting my TIT tee shirt, as in “Tuesday’s in Trash”! (complete with big tits on the front) and was trying to swap his t-shirt for it.
Gough was in with them and kept saying how he should be watching and taking care of himself better. Kept referring to us as “Glasgow Rangers”.
That’s actually a tame story. Some of the sights in that place were incredible :D
do tell even if you have to open a new thread :D

In the early 70’s (I think) , Jack Gillespie and Tom Dawson were nominated for appointment to the Board but this was contested by the current Board. My Dad held what was then a significant number of shares in the Rangers. Willie Waddell came to our house and spoke to my Dad to persuade him to vote with the Board. Mr Waddell was there for a couple of hours and was happy to chat about the Rangers.

Met Walter Smith (sort of)) when he was Souness’s asst in the Gulf Garage along from Ibrox on Sheildhall Rd. I’m staring at him putting fuel in, trying to remember who he was.... he in turn looks at me and says “ who you f@cking staring at”
Will never forget the Laudrup interview he done with chick young haha

Years ago four of us were staying in the Hilton and there was a testimonial dinner on. We were down for a game and went on the piss after but our mate was too drunk to get into Victorias so we gave him the room card and left him outside.
Later we headed back to the Hilton and there is our mate and Walter Smith sitting drinking at the bar. Our mate had absolutely no interest in football and only came with us for the drink and a laugh. We were all standing open mouthed and he genuinely had no idea he was drinking with the manager of Rangers.

I’ve been fortunate to meet a good few players over the years, My favourite moment would be meeting John Brown and Graham Roberts at the Lagan Village RSC in Belfast, Not too many in the bar so I went over and got a photo and spoke away to them both about the club and the memories they had.

Ive met & shook hands with Artur Numan,Mark Hateley @ The goalie.
I was at a Q&A in grangemouth donald findlay was there and the goalie and willie henderson got autographs and was like a wee giggling boy speaking to them lol. I made sure I called them Mr Findlay, Goram and Henderson complete respect. And to cap it all I won the raffle of signed ball which I have since gave to my cousin who stayed in Frankfurt :mad: I was drunk and he was over visiting with his family at the time what a tit.

Last edited:
He really came across as a good guy, he said that Lee Erwin started it with the shove and asked me what I would do?
I told him i would do the same and he said there you go, he pointed out it was the fact that there were so many watching and he was upset about losing and that being a man he wouldn't accept that humiliation of being shoved for no reason .
He went on to tell me he felt terrible because he was supposed to be a role model etc.
Absolutely, cool story mate. For what it's worth I totally believe that about Foster also, whenever there was any bother the only ones to defend their team mates were Foster Miller and Mohsni. Foster gets a tough ride because of his political allegiances but there's no doubts where his footballing loyalties lie.

Back