Best Story of meeting a Rangers player?

Ian Ferguson carried me off the pitch when his boy done me at a tourney in Blantyre!

Must have been about 8 and had no idea who he was until my dad told me later :))

Went to a crowded house gig in secc years ago, just before the start I nip to the toilets.
Standing at the next pisser to me was Gordon Smith.
I was somewhat star struck as he was part of “my team” from 1978.
Wasn’t able to strike up a conversation but I did get a glimce of his wee cock.
ffs mate give the man his dignity it can be cold in the toilets, well that's my excuse :D

Got a few....
A random encounter with Super Ally in the car park at Braehead. I was leaving & he was waiting to get into a space, a woman juked in in front of him & he was going bush! Put the window down & told him 2 go easy on her she might be a bear, had a laugh & said she better fkn be!
Ian Ferguson used to live in Erskine & went to his door once as a youngster asking if he wanted his papers delivered, he said no thanks with a smile as I was of course full kit wanker :))
Best till last...met the gaffer in 7th Heaven lap dancing in about 2001!! No idea who he was with, seemed like an agent type rather than mates

Met Ally in EK Sports in 1986, he was brand new, I got his autograph on stamp sized piece of paper.

I was at a Q&A in grangemouth donald findlay was there and the goalie and willie henderson got autographs and was like a wee giggling boy speaking to them lol. I made sure I called them Mr Findlay, Goram and Henderson complete respect. And to cap it all I won the raffle of signed ball which I have since gave to my cousin who now stays in Frankfurt :mad: I was drunk and he was over visiting with his family at the time what a tit.
It’s funny how meeting people like that make you act.

I played a round of golf with Ronald de Boer at Eastwood golf club. I was a member up for a wee hit on a Sunday afternoon and he was in the pro shop looking to play. He lived up the Mearns at the time.
Did make me a bit nervous but he was worse than I was!
Sad what happened to Eastwood. My old man was a member up there for 50 years.

Got a few....
A random encounter with Super Ally in the car park at Braehead. I was leaving & he was waiting to get into a space, a woman juked in in front of him & he was going bush! Put the window down & told him 2 go easy on her she might be a bear, had a laugh & said she better fkn be!
Ian Ferguson used to live in Erskine & went to his door once as a youngster asking if he wanted his papers delivered, he said no thanks with a smile as I was of course full kit wanker :))
Best till last...met the gaffer in 7th Heaven lap dancing in about 2001!! No idea who he was with, seemed like an agent type rather than mates
Jesus the Dutch like their dances haha

Years ago four of us were staying in the Hilton and there was a testimonial dinner on. We were down for a game and went on the piss after but our mate was too drunk to get into Victorias so we gave him the room card and left him outside.
Later we headed back to the Hilton and there is our mate and Walter Smith sitting drinking at the bar. Our mate had absolutely no interest in football and only came with us for the drink and a laugh. We were all standing open mouthed and he genuinely had no idea he was drinking with the manager of Rangers.
lucky b ooft what I would give to be next to Sir Walter never mind speak to him

I played a round of golf with Ronald de Boer at Eastwood golf club. I was a member up for a wee hit on a Sunday afternoon and he was in the pro shop looking to play. He lived up the Mearns at the time.
Did make me a bit nervous but he was worse than I was!
Actually come to think of it - I met John Greig who was the speaker at an Eastwood prize giving back in the 80s

Golf outing in St Andrews. Competition was won by a good bluenose who also posts on here regularly. After a few drinks, the mini-bus is ready to leave St Andrews when we spot Walter Smith (who was the Scotland manager at the time) and his good lady wife entering the Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop across the road. Cue all of the bluenoses getting off the bus until Walter reappeared and we got him to “present” the trophy to our mate.

Used to go into the Albion training ground years ago during the pre season when John Greig was the manager. Big gates left wide open and us kids would stand there near the entrance and watch until the players finished. Met Davie Cooper a good few times who would always stay back and practice crosses into the box hours at a time. Absolute legend, the one player at the time who gave us hope that we would get better. Coop and JG always had time for us kids at the end of the training.

Met John Greig when he was managing us, I was just a kid.

Couldn't have been nicer to me and signed my book, took the time to talk to me.

GOAT.

Met Walter smith a couple of years back, while taking my son and his pals into one of the rangers academy holiday club things at the pitch across from the stadium. I was actually too scared to approach him to ask for photos- fortunately the boys weren’t so backwards and I’ve got a few great pictures. I was genuinely intimidated by him, but he couldnt have been more pleasant. Incident only added to my respect for the man.

Met Ally McCoist for the first time in years at a rugby game Watson’s against All Blacks donkeys years ago in Edinburgh. We were at same school and funny to meet up after all the years. Was decent guy with ex Scotland rugby players in tow. Round about the Sue Barker years (him not me obviously) Ulrika years if I’m not wrong. Mmm.

Met Ally McCoist for the first time in years at a rugby game Watson’s against All Blacks donkeys years ago in Edinburgh. We were at same school and funny to meet up after all the years. Was decent guy with ex Scotland rugby players in tow. Round about the Sue Barker years (him not me obviously) Ulrika years if I’m not wrong. Mmm.
I thought he was great on QOS but of course the Scotland job then returning home comes first

Met Richard Gough in a nightclub in Holland.

Strangest conversation of my life tbh.

Very friendly with Derek McInnes, met a few through him in his Morton days.

Kirk Broadfoot told me he was signing a new contract when i met him in club de mar! Posted the news on the old board, took some abuse

Met loads of players over the years but the most random meeting was just last Saturday when I met Kevin Drinkell in M&S food hall in Perth.

Met most of the Rangers squad in Karbon nightclub the day we won the league in 2010.

I was standing next to John Fleck and a couple of other players up at the bar and birds kept coming up to the players, because I was near them they mistakenly thought I was part of the team, some "model" gave me her buisness card without me asking, never did contact her, but made me realise how easy players can pick up women when out and about.

The next day my mate and I both had foggy memories of the end of the night because we were quite pished, there was a video on his phone of the two of us and DaMarcus Beasley singing Rangers songs on the dance floor haha.

Sitting on a sunbed in Turkey next to a guy there with his wife and teenage kids. Guy looked really familiar but was English so I just didnt click where I knew him from.

Next day chatting to a Scottish guy (Bear) and his wife in the pool , usual holiday smalltalk, convo turns to football.... Guy goes....have you said hello to Nigel Spackman yet.... Ah.

Nigel was a nice guys and his family were sound, sons are his double.

Interview for a job held in a big city centre hotel, meeting rooms on top floor. Heading back down after, lift stops part way down, Giovanni van Bronkhorst gets in with his Mrs. I was just a young lad and was starstruck but gave him a nod.

In the 1980s we were headed over to my Gran's in Cardonald. Going past Bellahouston Park, drive past guys on bikes. Next thing my Dad's pulled over, did you see who that was son, nope, pulls his newspaper and a pen out the door pocket and says come on, guys on bikes catch up with us, Super Ally and Skipper Gough, couldnt believe it, they were happy to chat and sign the paper for us!

My auld man met Nigel Spackman years ago in The Black Bull in Cambuslang. Said he was an absolute gentleman

Since someone pointed out that my Dennis Bergkamp post didn't fit the criteria, how's about this one.

Met Mervan Cellik at Inverness airport, we were up for our match there shortly after administration.

Cellik looked totally lost, on his own catching a flight from the airport after the game.

You are no really redeeming yourself here mate :D

Wife and me were in a pub called The Tartan Arms(I think it was) in Magaluf In 1996, it was pishing with rain and we were only ones in, when a crowd of about 8 boys came in, turns out to be Rangers youth team including a young Barry Ferguson, we had a wee singsong !

Asked McLeish for his autograph as a kid at Dens Park. He walked away and I got a few more players, then 5 minutes later asked McLeish again forgetting I had met him already, much to his amusement. Too excited as a youngster obviously.

Also I used to live in Gourock and went to the waterfront gym in Greenock, met wee Nacho in there one day and shook his hand, it was after he had left us, I think he didn’t have a club at the time and was training with Morton, remember he had a bird from Greenock

I have met loads of players in passing over the year. But the one time I did get to spend some decent time speaking to them was in 2003. I used to work in Scotkart (go karting) in Cambuslang back in the day and the treble winning squad were in for a bit of team bonding. With the exception of Barry Ferguson they were all brand new. Special mention to Arthur Numan and Craig Moore who were both excellent with the boys (even the mentally challengeds) and Neil McCann and Shota Arveladze are bat shit crazy. My big mate who worked there as well was trying to get Shota's autograph. Somehow they ended up out in the car park. I goes out for a smoke and there is my mate chasing Shota around some random car shouting 'come and catch me', My mate gave up after about thirty seconds as he was f**ked!! Shota ended up signing a piece of paper for him. I've got a photograph of the full squad somewhere. When I'm off nightshift I'll post it.

Waiting on Duncan Ferguson and Mark Hateley to turn up when opening a local shop. As a young boy was gutted when David Hagen turned up instead of Dunc. However, got his autograph, he asks my name and signs it "To King Billy, best wishes David Hagen". Always liked him after that :D

I was in a restaurant in south Queensferry, went to the toilet for a slash and next minute Gordon Durie steps out of the shitter immediately followed by the most horrendous stench of sewage shit I have ever smelled :oops: He did look a bit sheepish about it and thankfully he did wash his hands:):)):p

I was in a restaurant in south Queensferry, went to the toilet for a slash and next minute Gordon Durie steps out of the shitter immediately followed by the most horrendous stench of sewage shit I have ever smelled :oops: He did look a bit sheepish about it and thankfully he did wash his hands:):)):p
Maybe he had just found the rotten fish that Gazza stashed in his car!

After the Porto game in 2005 (1-1, McCormack equaliser, late, and good, save from Waterreus to keep us in it) we're back in the square after the game celebrating qualification. Working my way through the crowd to try and get to a toilet and, on route, I bump into The Goalie. "great result the night big yin" he says to me. I look at him deadpan (as if I don't recognise him) and respond "tell you the best thing about tonight's game, for the first time in as long as I can remember, we've got a decent goalkeeper". Oh how we both laughed :)

Played against Rangers S forms at the Albion when i played for Possil ym. Tommy Mclean had the Rangers team. I was kicking his winger all over the place and when the ball went out for a thow in, he told me i was a dirty wee bastard. !!

After the game he was the most polite wee guy i had ever met. Had a chat and he was absolutely brilliant.

And i didn't realise. On tv he looked small, but what a stalky, wee well built guy he was.

Compared to me anyway.

Was walking to the Passport Office with my dad years ago, must've been about 12 (born in Germany so we had to go there for whatever reason) and we stopped to chat to an older gentleman. Stood with him for a while so I assumed it was a relative of my dad's that I'd never met.

On walking away, my dad was telling me 'thats Willie Henderson, the greatest winger in Rangers history' or something along those lines.

I've met loads through my work but that was the only unusual one that I can think of.

You better believe it one of the nicest guys I've come across.
We came off a rig together & he knew my son had just been rushed to hospital & he offered to drive me from Aberdeen to Glasgow while he stayed in Edinburgh
Big Bill diamond
He is full time on the golf course now a days

Back