Best Story of meeting a Rangers player?

Sat next to Davie Cooper in a hairdressers in Hamilton a few weeks before his very sad passing.

I was a teenager at the time and remember being annoyed by the fact the women in there were all fussing about him whilst I sat with my hair half-cut.

Circa 2003/4 Stephen Thompson came across to sit with my son and I to watch the football at the David Lloyd Club in Renfrew when his wife was playing in a tennis tournament. Nothing but good things to say about him that day. He was happy to chat with everyone.
He was actually brand new back then
I went to the dancing with him,shagger and Chris Burke after a player of the year do

Early 80s , waiting for a meeting with my director, his secretary said that he had someone with him and would see me soon. Next thing he comes out of his office and told me to come in as there was someone he would like me to meet. It was the late great Ian McColl. He was an absolute gentleman and was immaculately dressed. We had a wee blether and it sure made my day.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned this before but back in the day as a teenager I was a hospital porter at a private hospital near Glasgow. I was half-asleep, pushing a fairly large steel trolley full of fresh laundry down a long corridor near the radiology department and not particularly looking where I was going. Approaching a corner, I noticed the Rangers doctor turning round said corner and head towards me when I just about ran over what turned out to be Ronald de Boer - I thought it was Frank - with the trolley! I then started texting all my mates saying we were signing Frank de Boer and it turned out to be Ronald. Hartson was also in the building getting his scans that day although we pulled the plug on that deal due to his medical.

Was just a young Bear at the time but was standing outside Tannadice in 1987 to get some autographs. We'd just beaten United 1-0 (Dave McPherson) and I had a team poster with me to get signed. It had the team picture in the middle and individual player pictures round the outside. I'd stuck a Panini sticker of Graham Roberts on it as he'd signed in December.
As the players came out I was getting them to sign their pictures and when Graham Roberts came out he signed his and asked if I'd gotten everyone I said I'd missed a few all coming out at the same time. Next thing I knew Robbo took me on the team bus and went round all the players until they'd all signed their pics.
One happy young bear cub.
Have to get this framed.

20170417-142850.jpg

20170417-142927.jpg

20170417-143040.jpg

Manchester airport heading to Cuba. Michael Mols comes out of restaurant so asked for a photo with my boy and I . MM says “ here’s Reggie(Blinker).Gets the phone out and opens it up to the Rangers crest, says to MM , no thanks as he danced with the devil. Mols laughed and said something to him. To be fair he smiled and walked out of shot.

Also met Michael Mols at mcdiarmid Park, the game where we celebrated winning the league. We were walking around outside full of hooch, when my mates dad grabbed him made us shake our hands then let him go. He was tiny, mols, I was taller at 15. What a player though

Took my stepson through to Ibrox early one morning early on as pre season began for season 97/98. Quickly came to recognise the players all were driving hondas with reggy plates a few numbers diffo (whole fleet).

Met the entire squad and also witnessed what looked like Rino Gattuso's very first day. He came out the main doors and stood at side waiting for a lift, most walked past and some even asked him who he was! I had seen the story and images so knew, went over and wished him well. Would never have believed the career that wee guy in the oversized suit would go on to have. Won it all and proud I was almost only one who knew who he was that day.

Met loads of players over the years but the most random meeting was just last Saturday when I met Kevin Drinkell in M&S food hall in Perth.
Just remembered my aunt got me Kevin drinkells autograph when she worked in a hotel in Grangemouth. Was on a purple Post it note

Met Terry Hurlock when he was in Fort William for the Travis Trek up Ben Nevis. He was staying in the same caravan park as me and the mates. At night Terry and his mates joined us in our caravan for a Sash bash.

The big man can drink, that's for sure

Met a few players over the years Davie Dods at Perth races was well on.
Mols, Goalie, Walters, Barry F, McCulloch etc
But see Marvin and Willie Johnstone regular.
Could speak to Bud all day great stories

My birthday is the 24th September, same day as Ally's. One year when I was 9 or 10 (mid 90's) we were away at Pittodrie on my birthday and my parents took me into Ibrox at night to see the players arrive back. My dad had two cards, one for me and one for Ally. We got to speak to him and when my dad told him the story he signed my card and asked me if I would sign his.

He's been my hero ever since
That's immense

Met Derek McInnes (that's not my story) outside the front door at Ibrox when I was wee and he told me to run down to the gates at the Copland end as Gazza was leaving. Went down and sure enough he was and I got to spend 5 minutes talking to him. Loved it.

Was on a plane to London last year and a whole squad of 9 in a row players got on the same flight.
Durie, Goram, Charlie Miller among them. Enjoyed listening to their chat (apparently saying Cooper was better at Motherwell than at Rangers). Millar had had a few and persuaded the hostess to get a few more rounds in even though it was just a short flight then borrowed my Daily Record.

Assuming it was for the London Lee Rigby game - somebody must have the squads to jog my memory of the other players on the flight.

Used to work in trash behind the bar. Craig Moore came in pished (whilst he was out injured). Was a bit annoyed at him as he was jumping about mental on the dance floor smoking like a lum. He was our captain at the time as well. He was adamant he was getting my TIT tee shirt, as in “Tuesday’s in Trash”! (complete with big tits on the front) and was trying to swap his t-shirt for it.
Gough was in with them and kept saying how he should be watching and taking care of himself better. Kept referring to us as “Glasgow Rangers”.
That’s actually a tame story. Some of the sights in that place were incredible :D

Did you not used to get loads of players in Trash? Met Durrant and McCoist in there with half the Killie team.

Used to dog school and go over to the Albion to watch Rangers train. Anyway, I'm about 13 or 14 and I'm watching them and Jock Wallace comes over. He asks why I'm not at school. I try to change the subject as he stayed next to us in Newton Mearns when he was manager first time around and I told him that. I stupidly expected a friendly chat. Grabbed me by the collar of my snorkel jacket and promptly marched me out the Albion. Called the school and fired me in. School called my Dad. Suspended and no ST for a month.
Lol that’s one of my favourites so far.

Was just a young Bear at the time but was standing outside Tannadice in 1987 to get some autographs. We'd just beaten United 1-0 (Dave McPherson) and I had a team poster with me to get signed. It had the team picture in the middle and individual player pictures round the outside. I'd stuck a Panini sticker of Graham Roberts on it as he'd signed in December.
As the players came out I was getting them to sign their pictures and when Graham Roberts came out he signed his and asked if I'd gotten everyone I said I'd missed a few all coming out at the same time. Next thing I knew Robbo took me on the team bus and went round all the players until they'd all signed their pics.
One happy young bear cub.
Have to get this framed.

20170417-142850.jpg

20170417-142927.jpg

20170417-143040.jpg
That is different class mate. The poster is an absolute belter. What a story :)

At a great RSEA event years ago in Glasgow I stood waiting with iPhone in hand ready to take a picture while Sasa took his time to chat up the Mrs, the picture I have is they two of them looking into each other eye for what seemed like eternity, just came up on my Facebook timeline. Not angry just jealous if honest as I loved Sasa for years and she just met him that night

My best mate’s gf FaceTimed him when she was in The Social whilst he was sleeping. He said he kinda woke up and was raging as he thought she was gonna ask him for a lift when none other than wee Alfredo pops up on the screen when he answered it and a few other players were in the background. Said it was pure awkward because the music was so loud and the wee man would find it hard enough to understand you without the music so he was just smiling the whole time. Buckles me anytime they bring it up.

My mate & I were watching the FA cup final in a pub in Gran Canaria & Barry Ferguson was in with his friends they were putting bets on with the pub bookies.then later on that night we were in The Highlander pub in Puerto Rico & in walks Barry I think he knew the owners & we sat with him all night taking pictures,chatting & buying each other pints. Great times.

Was walking round Stirling Castle with the wife and kids when we heard some German voices. Looked at the people and realised it was Stefan Klos walking about showing his folks around.
My wife speaks a bit of German so stopped and she spoke to his parents while our 3 star struck boys got Stefan's autograph.
They were very proud parents.

My claim to fame though is , Paul Gascoigne owes me £5.00

30/12/95 , infamous 7-0 game v Hibs where gazza gets booked for "showing" the ref a yellow card !

At the time we knew Alec Cleland and often got into the players lounge afterwards etc. The small private one for friends and family only , with free cans of McEwans lager at the time. As an aside , we also had a quick visit to the changing rooms one day. Seen the tactics board for free kicks and corners against etc. , and Richard Gough was getting treatment for a knock and come wandering out the shower room after a long bath ! Let's just say Mrs. Gough would have no complaints.

I also remember sitting about 4 empty seats away from the Hibs fans that day in the Broomloan front.

Anyway , after the game we wandered over to the players car park at Ibrox Primary School. Alec's dad wasn't using his car park pass and my mate Scott borrowed his old man's BMW and we pretended to be superstars. No laughing please.
Obviously it was dark being December and some wee scoundrels had sneaked in to give it the old "I watched your motor , mister". Gazza randomly had appeared also and was only too happy to reward the youngsters endeavour. And had a right good laugh at it. However , he also never had any money on him and I was happy to "lend" him a fiver. Despite seeing him a couple of times in the lounge again , I never asked for it back.

The following month when P V Vossen signed we gave him and his brother a lift back to the Crowne Plaza hotel after the game. We arranged to meet them that night for drinks etc. , but it fell through.

Happy days.

When i was 15 I worked a Saturday and Sunday in Ayr indoor Market (my Da's record stall on the sat and the video stall on Sundays) this particular quiet Sunday i was sitting watching a season highlight video when this wee old lady drags Richard Gough round to the stall. He was in softplay next door for another players sons bday, he chatted for a little bit, signed something for me and off he went.

Good work little old lady.

Me,wife and son sitting waiting to board Easyjet flight from Glasgow to Amsterdam when a women with her 2 kids sit across from us both boys decked out head to toe in Rangers gear and speaking in a foreign language. I'm giving it all 'they must be a players family'to the wife but obviously we didn't recognise them, anyway baggage collection in Schipol we just happened to be standing beside thhis family:cool: and they had massive cases i offered to help the lady with her luggage on to the trolly and read the tag ' Arveladze'. Sure enough Shota was waiting for them through departures had a wee chat with him and he was happy to have photo taken with my son. Fair to say the wife was mortified at my detective work!:D

Used to see Walter Smith in the River green Chinese restaurant in helensburgh,gent who always gave you time.
Outside Ibrox one game day,and super ally gets out of a taxi near entrance, and asked my son to hold his sport's bag while he signed autographs, made his day.

When I worked abroad (Panama) I won a trip to go to the South Africa World Cup as we were powering it and we done an internal competition.

I had to fly from Panama to Sao Paulo Brazil ( 8 hours), then have 12 hours in Brazil, then fly to Johannesburg in SA which took another 9 hours. By the time I got to SA, I was completely shattered.

Anyway, I'm waiting on my lift in the airport when all I could hear was a Scottish voice in the crowd, which was unusual of course we were not in the World Cup. I looked up and there's a guy on the phone, kinda poorly dressed. I looked again and released it was Ally McCoist!

I waited until he came off the phone and just charged up to him, I think the tiredness had made me bold and I just started yapping away to him about how I had a season ticket and why was he here. For some reason, I kept going on about my trip. :D

He was sound a a pound and I got a great picture with him, was delighted and it made my trip even more special. :)

We were staying at the Quinta De Lago hotel for a conference. Richard Gough was also staying. Met him by the pool and chatted away - told us about his love for Craig Brown and his buddy!

We were leaving the next day about 12'sh and Richard said we could get some photos before he went. About 1145 we were up by the pool and no Richard - he had gone out in the hire car. We were about to leave when Richard comes running up - he had just got back and dumped Fiona and the weans in the car park and come up to have the 'photo shoot' Some decent pics with the group and individuals.
After that he asked for my number and said that he sometimes had extra spares and he would give me a call. Yeh that's going to happen!

Actually did on a few occasions once when I was in Leeds working with my local Rep. Richard had a ticket for the game that night, could I make it? Dumped the Rep and headed up the road (was already living in Derby at this time) Game v DU which we f'n lost!!!!

Met Arthur Numan when out shopping. CHatted away for a while with wife, me and my baby son at the time - while his missus stood with his bairns.

Met Amo at a charity doo - and he was great.

Met a few others too......like Goram, John Greig, Michael Mols, Sandy and Nicky Clark, Nacho, Alan McLaren, Colin Jackson and Doddy.

Non-Rangers who stand out:

Alex Smith had a pub in Falkirk. I was in one night. Chatted away for a good while - what a really nice man!

Also, met Frank McClintock in a hotel- he was playing golf nearby the following day. Again, really nice guy. Happy to chat away.

Sat beside Willie Johnston and Colin Stein on the subway from Ibrox to St Enoch after a game.

Sat in Nachos house with him and my pal on his 26th birthday having a few beers. My pal was his missus' cousin and were quite close. He was just back from spain and i remember the pile of newspaper cuttings that was awaiting him as he insisted on reading everything that was written about him in the press. We sat and watched the David cooper cup final V Motherwell and it was quite surreal sitting there discussing the game with a hero of mine at the time.
He was a top guy even offered to take me and my mate for a round of golf the next morning but sadly couldn't make it :( Remember the next morning texting my also Gers daft maw to look out the window so she could watch me getting out Nachos Porsche haha was class

Was walking down Hamilton shopping precinct with my dad when I was a kid when I saw Davie Cooper with another guy. I was about to burst with excitement when the guy he was with came over and started talking to my dad. Turns out it was Coops brother and they worked together. I’m standing there absolutely gobsmacked as my dad stood laughing and joking with John Cooper. Very surreal and blew my ten year old mind.

So the threads hardly been going, couple of days at most and guess who I've just bumped into in a hotel over here in Abu Dhabi. None other than Shota Arvaladze and Pieter Huistra. Chances ⚽

Me,wife and son sitting waiting to board Easyjet flight from Glasgow to Amsterdam when a women with her 2 kids sit across from us both boys decked out head to toe in Rangers gear and speaking in a foreign language. I'm giving it all 'they must be a players family'to the wife but obviously we didn't recognise them, anyway baggage collection in Schipol we just happened to be standing beside thhis family:cool: and they had massive cases i offered to help the lady with her luggage on to the trolly and read the tag ' Arveladze'. Sure enough Shota was waiting for them through departures had a wee chat with him and he was happy to have photo taken with my son. Fair to say the wife was mortified at my detective work!:D
Just spent 15 minutes with Shiota this evening. Couldn't have been any nicer. Him an Pieter Huistra, pair of gentlemen.

Met the magnificent bastard himself in Harrods back in 2006 in the Ralph Lauren shop. Introduced myself and said that was the first I'd spoken to him in 20 years since I got my photo taken with him outside the albion. He was happy to stand and chat for about 15 mins. Spoke about the team under him and at the current time and other football stuff. When the conversation came to an end he said "Well I better go and find her before she cleans my credit card out again!"

Magfuckingnificent.

The day we won the Scottish cup against Dundee, me and Mrs in Sir John Moore. Taxi pulls up outside and Brian Laudrup jumps out. Before he could get into the Radisson, he'd been ambushed by a posse of us. Was brand new. Said he was doing commentary duties for Danish TV. On a lower note, squad of us coming back from Brian Robinson parade in Belfast, met Henrik Larsson at Glasgow airport. He took a ribbing well, fair play!!

As i ball boy between 1973 to. 1975 i met players and jock Wallace Willie Waddell
So lucky
Use to bump into few first team players at Zhivagos pub Ingram st
And sat next to mr I Durrant at James bond film a few years ago

Last edited:
Met quite a few. Butcher, Walters (my Mum sold him a TV) Durrant, Munro, Mo johnstone and Ally loads of times being an EK boy.
The best was back in 86ish when Glasgow airport was getting a new Facade. I was working on it and seen a a few famous people. Steven Hendry, Billy Connoly etc. Anyway, one day Souness drives up and parks his Jag outside the airport and goes in to collect his then wife Danielle.
I carry on working and see a Traffic warden go up to his Jag and looks at the time etc. I jump down off the roof and run in to tell Souness he is about to get a ticket. He says thanks for letting me know. I just stand there like a D*ck expecting him to come running out to move his car. No, The magnificent B*astard waits for his wife, comes sauntering out with minutes to spare, puts the luggage in the boot, opens the door for his wife and casually gets into the Jag and drives off. No ticket.The traffic warden must have been a Bear.

Back