Best tournament in over 20 years?

sonofbunk

Tempting fate here as a tournament is normally only as good as it’s knockout games (Brazil 2014 turned to shit after a good group stage), but this is possibly the best tournament in over 20 years.

It’s not been high scoring, but that’s more a reflection on teams being evenly matched. There have been lots of interesting games, some cracking goals and possibly because of the last 18 months, it’s been great seeing crowds again.

I was so bored by 2016 I stopped watching the games - I’m hopeful this will be different.

Edit - this post was initially after the Denmark - Russia group game. Bumped for thoughts now the tournament is over.

Last edited:
It’s been good partly because virtually everyone has something to play for going into the third group stage match. On the other hand, it’s ridiculous that it’s harder to not qualify than it is to go through, with only 8 teams out of 24 dropping out.

I also think having full(ish) houses at some of the matches after being starved of that atmosphere helps immensely.

I think it’s been pretty good although I’m not a fan of it being spread around different countries. Prefer the original format of it being in the one country.

I don't think it's that great tbh.

Too many teams imo and I'm not a fan of the third place thing.

Don't think the games have been anything special either and the lack of fans kills a lot of it too.

In fact, the fans missing is probably the biggest reason I'm neither here nor there about it.

The German World Cup remains the benchmark for tournaments this century. That semi final between Italy and Germany is the best game I think I've ever seen as a neutral and I'm not even sure why. Drew me right in.

It has been decent but I am not a fan of the 24 teams at it and 3rd place qualifying. Also it means you also have the likes of Wales finishing 2nd who then play Denmark who finish second next. It needs fixed.

Don't think the games have been anything special either and the lack of fans kills a lot of it too.

In fact, the fans missing is probably the biggest reason I'm neither here nor there about it.

The German World Cup remains the benchmark for tournaments this century. That semi final between Italy and Germany is the best game I think I've ever seen as a neutral and I'm not even sure why. Drew me right in.
Im with you on the Italy - Germany game. Best tournament game I’ve ever seen (ive been viewing since 1990). But apart from that im not sure 2006 was up to that much. Most players seemed to be knackered.

I thought Russia was a brilliant tournament tbh. World Cup 2006 was excellent as well, so many cracking goals scored.

There's been some proper dull games in this tournament.
I second the WC 2006 vote. Every goal I remember seeing in that was an absolute screamer.

It has been very good so far. Brazil ‘14 & Russia’18 were both very good though. IMO obviously.

Let’s be honest it’s been watered down teams beat twice still getting through the groups, not to mention the pishy nations league back door into it in the first place

I second the WC 2006 vote. Every goal I remember seeing in that was an absolute screamer.

The keepers were moaning about the balls Adidas had brought out for it if I remember right. Flying all over the place.

I don't actually remember too much about World Cup 2002 but for nostalgic reasons it's up there as well. Everything from the ball, the boots (Predator Mania / Nike Vapors), Ronaldo getting his redemption after what happened in 98 etc.

I thought Brazil and Russia WC were very good. Best Euros in a long time (so far). The last tournament was let down in the knockouts.

Agreed.

Not been overly impressed by this tournament so far.

Hoping it improves in the knock out rounds.

And yes, that Italy v Germany semi was absolutely f.ucking sensational. Incredible viewing.

The best Euros in a long time for sure and 2014 WC was good, maybe because I was living in a host city at the time mind you :cool:

I think the 3rd place thing adds to the excitement to be honest. I've found myself being more interested in the other group games given how it can affect our own qualification. It has also meant that teams have something to play for going into the final game.

I'm not really enjoying this one tbh. I'd normally spend every England game in front of a big screen, no planning required, just decide on the morning. Out in the sun with thousands of people. This whole booking tables in advance bollocks has ruined it. I'll have watched 2 of England's 3 group games in me flat on me own.

I thought Russia 2018, France 2016 and Brazil 2014 were brilliant tournaments, too.

Tournaments (as a whole) have really picked up since teams figured out Spain.

Back