Best tournament in over 20 years?

Definitely not the best in the last 20 years no. The group stages haven't even finished yet ffs haha.

WC 2006 was different class. So was last World Cup.

I think it has been characterised by a lack of quality in many of the teams brought about by the extension to a 24 team tournament.

Scotland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Austria, Russia, Turkey, Switzerland and Slovakia for example all have teams that don’t really belong in tournament football.

Lot of games I haven't watched, will have more of an interest in most if not all knock-out stage games though.

Extra-time and pens always the highlight for me.

I was sceptical of the idea of having games in different countries, but it seems to be a really good thing actually, I think they should continue it for all the future ones.
its been good as alone off but it’s inherently unfair.

Basically all the favourites are getting two or three home games and more to come which isn’t in the spirit in my opinion. Great for England but imagine berg Croatia or the czechs, no home games and having to go to Wembley and Hampden.

Enjoying the tournament so far though

Reactions: fmp
Tempting fate here as a tournament is normally only as good as it’s knockout games (Brazil 2014 turned to shit after a good group stage), but this is possibly the best tournament in over 20 years.

It’s not been high scoring, but that’s more a reflection on teams being evenly matched. There have been lots of interesting games, some cracking goals and possibly because of the last 18 months, it’s been great seeing crowds again.

I was so bored by 2016 I stopped watching the games - I’m hopeful this will be different.
I've enjoyed it, need a few shock results though. That team Scotland to beat a team who were in the last world Cup final would be a nice start:)

On a serious note, know what I've enjoyed the most? The officiating. It's been absolutely brilliant.

For those moaning about the third place teams diluting quality - Portugal were third in their group last time.

When they did it at the World Cup, Argentina and Italy were runners up and Belgium were semi finalists after finishing third.

I like it as it adds randomness to the draw, also reduces dead rubbers in the final group games.

Up till now it's been great! ..... The VAR has vastly improved!
With the exception of tonight with France's penalty that never was?
They need to bring the same formula back to Sky TV!

Hopefully the knockout games match the group games.

Russia 2018 set a high bar but so far so good.

Agreed.

Not been overly impressed by this tournament so far.

Hoping it improves in the knock out rounds.

And yes, that Italy v Germany semi was absolutely f.ucking sensational. Incredible viewing.
If you get the chance, have a look at the 1970 WC Semi between Italy v West Germany. A classic.

I like the extra teams as it means that for nearly every team in the tournament there is something to play for in the 3rd game

Will do mate.

Another game which absolutely grabbed my imagination, was the 1982 WC game between Italy and Brazil. The Paolo Rossi game - incredible. I was transfixed.
I remember it well, an all time classic. As well as Italy played though, I think Brazil were the slightly better team overall but just got a little bit over confident. Rossi was clinical. I'm trying to remember the Brazil CH who got caught out by Rossi - was it Careca or Careso?

The game was played at Espanyol's old stadium in Barcelona, now demolished.

It's been decent. Haven't seen much to rate it above other recent tournaments though. I'd probably rank 2006 or 2010 as the best of the past 20 years.

Third placed teams going through is good because it kept things lively until the end. And in most cases they're either decent teams or they're fairytale stories from teams playing out their skin. It's not like the teams finishing third are qualifying with 1 point or something. The setup of the 16 and 32 team tournaments of the past 20 years set the bar so high that the tournament was over for so many teams after 2 games, and there's not much point in that. The stories of the group stage have tended to be either the stuttering failure of a footballing giant, or a sense for the real minnows of "well you were just making up the numbers, time for the big boys to get the real tournament started."

Been a good tournament so far, few surprise results.

euro 96 and France 98 were my fave euros and World Cup.

I know it says past 20 years, just throwing that wee piece of useless info out there :))

I think the 5 subs have helped as well, keeping teams fresher in the latter parts of matches

Today has been a special day

It’s been great, especially after the first round of group games. Unfortunately it seems to be setting itself up for an England win.

I remember it well, an all time classic. As well as Italy played though, I think Brazil were the slightly better team overall but just got a little bit over confident. Rossi was clinical. I'm trying to remember the Brazil CH who got caught out by Rossi - was it Careca or Careso?

The game was played at Espanyol's old stadium in Barcelona, now demolished.
If only Brazil had a goal keeper and a centre forward..... but Italy were brilliant from the second round on in that tournament.

Wow, just wow.
Two games today that will live long in the memory.
The fight back by Croatia to take it to extra time. Spain, just finding a way.
The Swiss, coming out swinging at the French, who didn't seem to realise the game had started.second half of that game was immense.What do man Utd have to do to get the pogba who plays for France? His goal? Incredible.
Then the French coasting only for the Swiss to fight back.
Just brilliant stuff today

2 fantastic games today, had everything. Great tournament so far.

Best for me was the 1982 WC, my old man took us for our summer holidays.
Was surreal for a kid watching Zico, Socrates & Co dismantle a very good Scotland team. That side was on a different level / planet, don't know how they never won it, but I guess Paulo Rossi stepped up. I was gutted when Brasil went out. More upset than Scotland going out.

It’s been not bad, but I don’t think it’s been as fantastic as a lot of people are making out.
Best ever Euros for me was 1988 (yes I know that’s longer than 20 years ago)

It's been good so far, yesterday was exceptional.

And so much better with fans back, the fuller stadiums have reminded us what football should be like.

I think the referees have played their part in keeping the games flowing and VAR has been used well. EPL take note.

Its been excellent loving it.

The refereeing and VAR been excellent.

Not sure if and home crowds has changed the feel of it.
The lack of England fans throwing wooden chairs at each other in town squares whilst being hosed down by water cannons is my only gripe :oops: :))
Seriously though I think its actually been a good decision by UEFA although lots of travelling for the fans and players

Agree Spain 82 was an amazing tournament. This was when some top players were relatively unknown quantities to most viewers. The Brazil team was out of this world and Rossi ruined everything!

Euro 96's 7 knockout matches of which 5 went to extra time produced the grand total of 9 goals.

The group stages were average at best.

It was a shocker of a tournament.

The 6 knockout matches this year have saw 24 goals.

Surely there’s no one who still thinks this isn’t better than 2006?

2006 was still better. As was Euro 2000 if we stretch it slightly beyond the 20 years.

Yesterday was the greatest single day in tournament history imo though.

If you eat, drink and sleep football, you can’t help but being glued to the telly for these tournaments. Very few games in this one have been dull thankfully, and yesterday’s games were superb entertainment.

Let’s hope it continues to get better as it comes down to the crunch and that the final is befitting of a tournament that has no doubt lifted people’s spirits after an annus horribilis.

It’s been fantastic, nothing beats Spain 82 for me though.
I hear you mate. That summer holds special memories for me too.

I guess all of these tournaments have their iconic moments though don’t they. I’d imagine Euro2020 will be no different. And it’s been a decent watch so far, doubly so now that it is knockout football.

I think it has been characterised by a lack of quality in many of the teams brought about by the extension to a 24 team tournament.

Scotland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Austria, Russia, Turkey, Switzerland and Slovakia for example all have teams that don’t really belong in tournament football.
You were saying?

I hear you mate. That summer holds special memories for me too.

I guess all of these tournaments have their iconic moments though don’t they. I’d imagine Euro2020 will be no different. And it’s been a decent watch so far, doubly so now that it is knockout football.

Mexico 86 for me for different reasons . I think what has made this tournament a great watch so far is that nearly every team has gone in with a positive , can-do attitude , with the exception of Scotland . We’ve had countries similar in population and stature to Scotland like Denmark , Hungary , Switzerland , Sweden even Wales go for it and do themselves proud . We’ve also seen a more attack minded Italy , a fragile but still stubborn Germany , and Jekyll and Hyde Spain . It’s still anyone’s tournament . Superb .

Back