Best World Cup goal

Saeed Owairan for Saudi Arabia against Belgium in USA 94. Even better than Maradona’s against England. Best ever. End thread.

It’s not though, is it? It’s a bit like saying the guy down your park scored the best goal ever that time he beat everyone on the pitch, twice, before putting the ball in between the jumpers.

Maradona was the best player in the world in 1986 so all eyes were on him. The expectation on him to deliver, especially after the disappointment of four years earlier was huge, but he didn’t disappoint.

It was the quarter finals of the World Cup against another former winner, the player England simply had to stop if they were to stand any chance of progressing. And they couldn’t. He picked the ball up in his own half and ran past six of them, Shilton included.

It’s the best individual goal I’ve ever seen and given the magnitude of the occasion and who delivered it, I’m not sure it will ever be beaten.

It’s not though, is it? It’s a bit like saying the guy down your park scored the best goal ever that time he beat everyone on the pitch, twice, before putting the ball in between the jumpers.

Maradona was the best player in the world in 1986 so all eyes were on him. The expectation on him to deliver, especially after the disappointment of four years earlier was huge, but he didn’t disappoint.

It was the quarter finals of the World Cup against another former winner, the player England simply had to stop if they were to stand any chance of progressing. And they couldn’t. He picked the ball up in his own half and ran past six of them, Shilton included.

It’s the best individual goal I’ve ever seen and given the magnitude of the occasion and who delivered it, I’m not sure it will ever be beaten.
It is.

The best ones I've seen in my lifetime are Bergkamp, Maxi rodriguez, tim Cahill v Netherlands and James Rodriguez v Uruguay

Special mention to raheem sterling's ghost goal v Italy. Absolute rocket that every single one of us watching applauded and couldn't understand why he wasnt going mental

I loved Aarie Haans goals in the 78 World Cup.

first one I thought what a fluke.

second one I thought...

what a fluke

don’t remember anything about him before or since

it's not the best goal ever scored at a WC but this brilliant effort from Josimar against Northern Ireland really stuck with me.

Before the ball became a swerve-balloon, strikes like this were uncommon, especially by full-backs.

Tostao the centre forward starts the move by winning the ball back in the left back position.

You actually have to view this goal as the culmination,not only of the game, but of the way Brazil played throughout the tournament. The greatest World Cup Finals ever.

I was thirteen at the time and obsessed with Rangers and all things football. The Brazil of 1970 enchanted and mesmerised not only me, but every football fan.
Unbelievable skill and confidence in own ability, to launch yourself and use the outside of your boot...get it wrong/ground it and its probably a career-ending injury

it's not the best goal ever scored at a WC but this brilliant effort from Josimar against Northern Ireland really stuck with me.

Before the ball became a swerve-balloon, strikes like this were uncommon, especially by full-backs.

Yeah, same position as our wee Barrie (but josimar didn't have Lego to beat )

Take your pic between maradonna, Bergkamp or the one scored by Argentina ( maybe cambiasso). Controversial I know but never seen the fuss about Carlos Alberto goal. Looks like a training match where the opposition have been told not to bother trying to tackle

That’s the beauty of it. They make it look so simple

Tostao the centre forward starts the move by winning the ball back in the left back position.

You actually have to view this goal as the culmination,not only of the game, but of the way Brazil played throughout the tournament. The greatest World Cup Finals ever.

I was thirteen at the time and obsessed with Rangers and all things football. The Brazil of 1970 enchanted and mesmerised not only me, but every football fan.

12 at the time bud. The greatest World Cup ever, there is no doubt about that - and the greatest team goal ever scored (and you are correct, to have seen that whole tournament places those things in their correct context).

That’s the beauty of it. They make it look so simple
True. It was also deep into extra time, at the end of a long tournament, in a hot country, at the end of a season and in a game already won. Maybe it was just enough for the Italians.

Hagi senior vs Colombia in 1994 USA World Cup is a good shout
Hagi senior was some player. One of the greatest of his era and yet despite that, his club career was unremarkable, at the highest level.

He only played 60-odd games for Madrid and only won the Spanish Supercup, went to Brescia, was relegated and then promoted (3rd place in serie b), went to Barcelona (only played circa 35 games) and won only the Spanish Supercup again. His best spells were at Steaua and Galatasaray when his talent should have seen longer stints and greater rewards, in the big leagues.

This World Cup and that Brazilian team opened my eyes and gave me a love, nay obsession, with the game that I still have to this day.

I’d been going to watch Cardiff from two years earlier and also followed Rangers from afar but this was a different level and experience.

Seems mad these days but just before the Finals we’d bought a coloured television, the first in our street! As well as seeing live games which were not Cup Finals, to see the colour on the pitch and in the stands really brought the whole thing to life. And the atmosphere was something different again.

All our neighbours gathered around it to watch the games and Brazil mesmerised, playing with a style and panache that showed the beautiful game in all its technicolour glory.

That Carlos Alberto goal was the culmination of a superb tournament, won by the best team I’ve ever seen.

This is the correct answer.
Not an Italian within 3 yards of the ball at any time during the move (including the keeper).
Maradona in 2nd place.
Tardelli’s goal in the 82’ final (just for the celebration) in 3rd place.
Got to agree with this - the most famous celebration of all time!!

Maybe not anywhere near the best but i remember as a young lad in jumpers for goalposts football trying to recreate this with my wee pals. Happy days!

Back