Better left backs in Britain than Borna Barisic?

Okay fair enough yes you can, however, Roberston in particular was mentioned in the OP. He is generally recognised as being in the top 3-5 left backs in the world.

I think Barisic is brilliant, dont get me wrong, absolutely one of my favourite players, by far the best left back in Scotland and I hope he stays with us for many season or makes huge transfer fee if we have to sell (far more than Leeds were quoting). However, he is playing in Scotland and the Europa Group stages. The claim that he is near enough at the same level of Robertson or would be a starter for top 4 teams in the PL is currently based on nothing more than his performances against teams of significantly lower quality than top PL and Champions league teams. We take the piss out of them across the city for saying that Ajer is wanted by Real Madrid/AC Milan or that Edouard is worth £50m based on nothing more than performances against those same level of teams...
Robertson made that move having played no higher than Hull City.
Kieran Tierney got his move playing the exact same sides Borna does.

It's hardly an exaggeration to say Borna could play for a top 4 side when he is easily better than Arsenals left back.

Robertson made that move having played no higher than Hull City.
Kieran Tierney got his move playing the exact same sides Borna does.

It's hardly an exaggeration to say Borna could play for a top 4 side when he is easily better than Arsenals left back.
Whilst at Hull, Roberston had played against all the top Premiership sides, so clearly did enough to impress in his time there.

I’m not putting up an argument for Tierney, but being as good or better than Tierney does not make you top 4 quality. Arsenal haven’t been a top 4 side for 4 and a half years!

Whilst at Hull, Roberston had played against all the top Premiership sides, so clearly did enough to impress in his time there.

I’m not putting up an argument for Tierney, but being as good or better than Tierney does not make you top 4 quality. Arsenal haven’t been a top 4 side for 4 and a half years!
No mate, you are putting up an argument though that Borna wouldn't be a top 4 player, largely based on the level of his opposition.

Funnily enough, people made that exact same argument on here a few years back.
The player in question was a young left back at Queens Park by the name of Andrew Robertson!

i noticed the young lille left back is croatian and will be in the national squad going forward,so it looks like he might have some competition at international level for his place at the euros,should help us tbh if he knows he is fighting for a starting spot come the end of the season

he's probally the best outside the big clubs in england

You can though? You're talking individual players?

That's how scouting works. A manager of a Champions League winning team will still look at individual players elsewhere and decide that they are better than the Champions League winner is his position in his squad.

That said, I'd put Robertson above him purely for where he plays and what he's won. But take him out that team and how good is he?

Internationally poor and didn't do anything up here that Borna isn't doing. In fact he did less.

But obviously he has pushed on so I'd have him above Borna but nobody else.
It’s all speculative and opinion but I think Barisic would be every bit as effective in that Liverpool team as Robertson is. I don’t think there’s much difference in regards to individual talent.

No mate, you are putting up an argument though that Borna wouldn't be a top 4 player, largely based on the level of his opposition.

Funnily enough, people made that exact same argument on here a few years back.
The player in question was a young left back at Queens Park by the name of Andrew Robertson!
I hate that this comes across as me slating Borna, he is one of my favourite players atm, I have always rated him (even in his first season I saw he had quality and thought we should stick by him for a while), you will find posts from me on the Summer transfer thread saying that the fee quoted by Leeds was ridiculously low and we shouldn’t consider selling for multiple times that as we just wouldn’t be able to find anyone better, he is an exceptional player who I desperately want to keep unless we get stupid money that we cannot afford to turn down. He is the best left back in Scotland by a mile and he has shown in the Europa League that he is also a very good player at that level.

But to suggest that, because he has shown that form in Scotland at 27 puts him on a not dissimilar level to Robertson (who most football neutrals on the planet would say is in the top 3-5 players in the world in his position) in part because Robertson played at an even lower level - when he was a teenager - does not stack up for me. At a younger age than Borna Robertson had played against better opposition (not for a better team). I’m not saying Borna definitely couldn’t be a starter for a top 4 PL side, I’m just saying there is little evidence to suggest he could. For example, for Croatia, where he plays against arguably better opposition, alongside better players, his stats are nowhere near as impressive as they are for us (14 games - 1 goal, 1 assist).

Some people are overstating his ability on this thread.

I'd put Borna as a comfortable mid-table EPL left back. In the same kind of bracket as Bertrand, Cresswell, Van Aanholt.

Chilwell is better.
My cousins who support Leicester and us don’t agree with that, they were sad to see him leave for Chelsea but thought he was overpriced and they reckon Borna is streets ahead of Chilwell,
Each to their own and all that

Barisic delivery blows Tierney out the water.

Tierney has almost 5 years on him so that has an affect on value etc.

Borna can get caught out defensively as well but that’s usually because we’ve him and Tav playing so high

I wonder, though, if Arsenal had to do it over again would they fork over 25 mil for Tierney? I think probably not.

Its unbelievable the scum think Laxalt is a world class left back, I have seen him play 4 games and he hasn't put a single decent cross into the box yet and I'm not making that up.

Borna is miles and miles ahead of him.

I don’t think I’ve seen a better left back than Borna playing their football on these shores this season. I genuinely wouldn’t swap him for Man Us, Arsenals, Chelsea’s and do City even currently have one? Possibly Robertson?

He has became an absolute class act imo.
Tierney?

Some people are overstating his ability on this thread.

I'd put Borna as a comfortable mid-table EPL left back. In the same kind of bracket as Bertrand, Cresswell, Van Aanholt.
Forgot about Bertrand and Cresswell. Think he is better than Van Aanholt but probably around level with the the other two, potentially a bit better. Cresswell is a player who is criminally underrated imo

I don’t think I’ve seen a better left back than Borna playing their football on these shores this season. I genuinely wouldn’t swap him for Man Us, Arsenals, Chelsea’s and do City even currently have one? Possibly Robertson?

He has became an absolute class act imo.
I think he is the one player we have that could play for any team in Europe and i mean, any team

Its a bit mind boggling that LB is a notoriously difficult position to fill, yet we have Barisic #1 and Bassey #2 in that area. I hope we keep both for a considerable time yet, but Barisic could make us mental money.

I think Barisic is amazing for us, best left back since Numan, however, two brilliant seasons in the Europa League group stage and against Scottish opposition doesn’t mean we can suddenly place him alongside Champions League winners! If he was 21/22 you could maybe argue that but most people of that quality would not be spending their prime years in Scotland. That is potentially great news for us if he stays though!
A bit of realism.

Borna has been superb for over a year now and is an established international for a country ranked in the world’s top ten.

He’s also been doing it regularly for us in Europe and I’d argue he’s been the best player full stop in Scotland over the past year.

If he was 23 or 24 we’d probably be talking £20m+, but he’ll be 28 in a matter of days, and while that may place him in his prime, I’m not convinced clubs will pay that for someone whose value will likely have begun to diminish at the end of a 3-4 year contract.

Right now though, let’s just enjoy him while he’s here.

Great Question OP.

I’m trying not to be biased here.

I would find it hard to swap Borna for any left back playing in the EPL at this moment in time. He has really settled into our team & you can see the other players react/ make runs when he has the ball on his left peg. The goal last night was fantastic, what a whipped cross...& If Roofe hada took his chance it would have been an unbelievable night for Borna.

I notice a few posters saying Chillwell is better & I wouldn’t agree with that. I wouldn’t swap them at this current moment in time. I do understand that Borna is only playing in Scotland but he’s made the left back slot his own for Croatia so he’s rated...his assists in the Europa League over the past 2 seasons have been really really good.

Borna’s biggest weakness is stopping crosses. I believe he could get closer & stop more balls into our box. Hibs goal at Easter Rd frustrated me...but with so many assists we can’t say a bad word.

I agree with posters saying if we are to cash in it should be this summer coming but it wouldn’t bother me in slightest if we keep’d him for another 3/4 seasons & he was delivering crosses like last night.

Delighted Ge55ard keep’d hold of Borna after it took him a season to settle. I was calling for his head.

Borna’s 28 next month.

If the board have their business heads on they may want to sell after we secure 55 in the summer.
I was just coming on to post this.
The perfect combo would be getting the most out of Borna whilst phasing Bassey in to take his place next season.
Bassey should be able to rack up plenty of minutes this season and has looked capable every time we’ve seen him.
Ideally we should be doing the same with Tav and Patterson on the other side.
I know it sounds a bit champ manager, but we have cracking prospects in our two back up full backs and the business side of it suggests both Tav and Borna are at the optimum age for selling(Tav possibly a wee bit past his)
Having just checked I see it’s Tav’s birthday tomorrow, and Borna 10 days later!

My cousins who support Leicester and us don’t agree with that, they were sad to see him leave for Chelsea but thought he was overpriced and they reckon Borna is streets ahead of Chilwell,
Each to their own and all that

There's certainly not much in it - and I wouldn't argue with the opinion that Borna is better - I'm just going with Chilwell based on the level he's currently operating at.

Borna will be there soon enough though.

I was just coming on to post this.
The perfect combo would be getting the most out of Borna whilst phasing Bassey in to take his place next season.
Bassey should be able to rack up plenty of minutes this season and has looked capable every time we’ve seen him.
Ideally we should be doing the same with Tav and Patterson on the other side.
I know it sounds a bit champ manager, but we have cracking prospects in our two back up full backs and the business side of it suggests both Tav and Borna are at the optimum age for selling(Tav possibly a wee bit past his)
Having just checked I see it’s Tav’s birthday tomorrow, and Borna 10 days later!

Yes Borna about to hit 28 MR.

If they’re thinking business the board might push the sale, but if we are getting 9m offers or less they may just see a small business benefit for a big playing risk ?

We just don’t know where they’re setting these limits, but I do hope it’s in discussion with Gerrard.

He seems savvy enough to have a proper & mature discussion with them on these things.

To be honest, Bassey & Patterson both have real potential but strangely I think we could miss our captain less if we look forward 2/3 years ?

Nathan seems so suited to our current system, while Bassey doesn’t have Borna’s attacking gifts, although he has the makings of a better defender I’d suggest ?

I still fail to see the hype with him ? he’s no better than Barisic put it that way.
His manager doesn't trust him as a FB but what little I've seen of him playing further forward he can look effective. He does have pace and to give him some credit his crosses in are aimed with some consistent accuracy on the penalty spot. Should be a dream for a proper CF.
He's still a wee shellik shite hole.

I think he is the best left back in Britain. You won't see Robertson swing a ball in with such precision like last night.
Watching Robertson, he does whip in a good cross, but he's always got time created by the others around him.

Borna has to make it happen with a man on him all the time, and still delivers

Do we keep pretending Tierney is shite on this thread?
He isn't shite but is well overhyped

Tierney stands out for a mid table prem team and an embarrassingly bad Scottish national team, I fail to see how Barisic can be considered a worse player

If you’re an EPL manager outside the Top 4, you should be looking at Borna.

As mad as it sounds, Man City could do far worse!

Back