Betting sponsorship on way out ?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
La Liga to ban betting companies advertising with football clubs. 8 of 20 clubs affected.

Reading up and there is definitely growing pressure to remove this, same as cigarettes and alcohol (!) in their day.

Not only does it impact on us but away from top of EPL and other glamour clubs who else is putting money into football? What are the alternatives?

They're much more draconian in Spain.

There was a ban on all promotions, communications with customers etc throughout the length of the Spanish lockdown.

Wouldn't be a problem to us with globel fans and European involvement but smaller clubs will struggle for brand if that's the case

Glens Hutchinson Robertsons and Stepek Loyal

Team I played for as a kid was sponsored by Stepek :))

Regarding the betting sponsorship I've always thought that there was a bit of an irony that football associations will (rightly) crack down on players/ managers/ officials gambling yet have their competitions sponsored by gambling companies.

Other opportunities will open up sponsor wise for clubs with companies who’ve not wanted to get involved due to the involvement of betting companies.

Have to say I have way more issue with the betting advertisement than alcohol. Realistically alcohol brand advertising was never about encouraging you to drink more, but simply to impact the selection choice of people who were going to drink anyways.

Betting advertising is all about increasing the amount of betting of people who already bet and those who are new to betting, and I think we have all seen how slippy a slope that can be.

Very very weird turn

The “clean” licensed turf accountant didnt appear until the 60s/70s

And now living on the high street with no issue since.

Its now increasingly being classed with cancer causing fags and mind befuddling booze, in the thoughts of the nanny state / you cant be trusted mob.

All because its apparently too compatible with society wired to the internet 24 hours a day.

I dont think this thread and the posts above mine would have read like it does tonight, 5 years ago.

Very very weird turn

The “clean” licensed turf accountant didnt appear until the 60s/70s

And now living on the high street with no issue since.

Its now increasingly being classed with cancer causing fags and mind befuddling booze, in the thoughts of the nanny state / you cant be trusted mob.

All because its apparently too compatible with society wired to the internet 24 hours a day.

I dont think this thread and the posts above mine would have read like it does tonight, 5 years ago.
Do you have any experience of family or friends who are addicted to gambling?

Do you have any experience of family or friends who are addicted to gambling?

Yes. People develop addiction to many things in life. Gambling addiction is not a new thing. Its clearly a more accessible addiction to develop in a 24 hour internet world.

Should that stop companies paying Rangers for advertising ?

Yes. People develop addiction to many things in life. Gambling addiction is not a new thing. Its clearly a more accessible addiction to develop in a 24 hour internet world.

Betting is not the same as it used to be it’s not people going down to the bookies on a Saturday to place a coupon on with there local friendly bookies.

The bookies want every penny out people who are willing to give them it.

You can only drink so much you can gamble literally everything

Clearly more accessible is the difference between the odd glass of wine at dinner and drinking white spirit in the park. It’s a cancer on society, the sooner the bookies and the online bingos %^*& off the better

Bookmakers. The latest pariah in the neo-Puritan age.

Pilloried by the same people who want to legalise cannabis.

I have a history of alcoholism, drug -abuse, problem gambling and nicotine addiction.

I really don’t think McEwans on our shirt, JPS on F1 cars or ”the magic sign” in the high street made much difference.

A combination of genetics, environmental factors (i.e. learned behaviours ) and personal responsibility were the key ingredients to my near-destruction and subsequent redemption.

I have a history of alcoholism, drug -abuse, problem gambling and nicotine addiction.

I really don’t think McEwans on our shirt, JPS on F1 cars or ”the magic sign” in the high street made much difference.

A combination of genetics, environmental factors (i.e. learned behaviours ) and personal responsibility were the key ingredients to my near-destruction and subsequent redemption.

No one wants them banned mate. My mate made a point you’ve ray winston screaming at you “let’s get right on it”

He’s like a feel like saying no bother ray take my wages.

Did pall mall ever post you a bonus carton of fags because you’d spent £500 less than you normally would, but they knew you’d buy another £5000 worth if they kept you on the hook?

Did pall mall ever post you a bonus carton of fags because you’d spent £500 less than you normally would, but they knew you’d buy another £5000 worth if they kept you on the hook?

Not me, but I remember my grandparents saving cigarette coupons.

And I take responsibility for every bad (and good) decision that I ever made.

I also accept that advertising works or it wouldn’t be a multi billion industry.

We are bombarded by something like 2 million pieces of information at any one time. The human brain is conscious of about 7 (plus or minus 2) of these pieces of information.

An adult should be trusted to make their own decisions.

I like going to football, I like a beer, I like to have an acca on a Saturday. These are things I knowingly and enthusiastically do as past-times. I know that all of these things cost me money - I still enjoy them regardless.

The problem is that some people do some things to excess, then other people decide that activities I like doing must be restricted. I don't mind so much on the advertising front (maybe don't have 5 adverts every ad break) but I start to really get annoyed when it comes to the call to 'tax them out of existence'. Do I really have to pay 5 quid a pint and have a bet on a fully regulated two-way market that is betting to 8% overround, just because a government is taking a cut of my losses?

Not me, but I remember my grandparents saving cigarette coupons.

And I take responsibility for every bad (and good) decision that I ever made.

I also accept that advertising works or it wouldn’t be a multi billion industry.

We are bombarded by something like 2 million pieces of information at any one time. The human brain is conscious of about 7 (plus or minus 2) of these pieces of information.

An adult should be trusted to make their own decisions.

An adult should be trusted to make their own decisions. Come on to %^*& man.

Some aren’t and they are always innocent victims in it all.

People on here are so black and white at times.

If their is no advertising they can still make their own decisions to gamble.

An adult should be trusted to make their own decisions. Come on to %^*& man.

Some aren’t and they are always innocent victims in it all.

People on here are so black and white at times.

If their is no advertising they can still make their own decisions to gamble.

So we legislate based upon adults not being adults and some people might suffer?

Should we ban fast food advertising such as McDonalds?

So we legislate based upon adults not being adults and some people might suffer?

Should we ban fast food advertising such as McDonalds?

You legislate on people’s actions.

Same way mobiles were legal to drive while using untill the realised people crashed.

Have to say I have way more issue with the betting advertisement than alcohol. Realistically alcohol brand advertising was never about encouraging you to drink more, but simply to impact the selection choice of people who were going to drink anyways.

Betting advertising is all about increasing the amount of betting of people who already bet and those who are new to betting, and I think we have all seen how slippy a slope that can be.

It's not betting, it's gambling.

They keep trying to rebrand it.

You legislate on people’s actions.

Same way mobiles were legal to drive while using untill the realised people crashed.

Then surely we should address fast food and probably fast cars too. And certainly alcohol.

But we won't we'll target one particular industry even though it only affects a minority.

The UK really isn't a nation of gamblers, it's an obese nation of drinkers.

Cant see it happening in scotland we need all the money we can get
Ridiculous, really that our three main competitions are sponsored by Ladbrokes, WIlliam Hill and Betfred and the two biggest clubs are sponsored by 32Red and Dafabet!! Like you said, it's going nowhere anytime soon in Scotland.

Wouldn't be a problem to us with globel fans and European involvement but smaller clubs will struggle for brand if that's the case
Unfortunately I think we are also in the boat of not being able to choose our sponsor but simply taking up the highest bidder. If there was a sustainable, family friendly business wanting to put their name on the front of our shirts for the same/more money, the club wouldn’t be refusing And choosing 32Red instead. Thus, as much as I am against gambling, this will lead to less revenue for us.

Then surely we should address fast food and probably fast cars too. And certainly alcohol.

But we won't we'll target one particular industry even though it only affects a minority.

The UK really isn't a nation of gamblers, it's an obese nation of drinkers.

We’re not targeting one industry it’s one industry in football which is currently a cancer. You can’t get a drink at games so not much more can be done in terms
Of football.

Same old bookie bashing thread with the same old arguments most of which totally excuse a person for any responsibility for their own actions, yeah ban advertising and sponsorship, that will cure everything

Back