Big Borna

He had a good game today and proved he can be a match winner with his free kicks.

Best set piece taker at the Club.

Those saying he had a bad game, I’m not sure what you were watching tbh. Some people’s biases outweigh the evidence they see in front of them.

I thought today he was better and more effective than Tav.

He`s a conundrum.

He is a fantastic player technically. His Appearances for Croatia confirm that.

But he looks lost at times playing as a left back for us.

If given time i suspect he can be vital for us - thing is we cant give him time and we cant let him cost us matches ( not that he did yesterday)

I can see him eventually going somewhere random for a few million as he doesn't have what the SPL demands of a player but moving on again after that for crazy money.

I’m sure when you were typing this it sounded like an interesting, valid point
A valid point we broke up the strongest part of our team to play a loan player who looked an absolute bomb scare at the back.
On topic though Barasic struggled again yesterday bar his well taken free-kick.

A valid point we broke up the strongest part of our team to play a loan player who looked an absolute bomb scare at the back.
On topic though Barasic struggled again yesterday bar his well taken free-kick.

And what's that got to do with what I said?

I think if we all get behind him even try get a song about him made it will give him the confidence to push on. Like 1 poster said when he first joined us he was superb till he got injured. We all know there is a player in there and we can help bring that player back by supporting him. Reading his interview yesterday he sounds more confident after scoring and has been putting in some hard work this summer. It's a game like yesterday that can completely change a players season. He won us the game so hopefully he can push on and help us win 55

You seem to want to argue with me or abuse me PM we can sort this out.

Abuse you? Jesus joaney. I asked you what your reply had to do with my post (answer = not much) and your response was for me to engage my brain. Now you want to chib me in a PM.

Is this FrownyBear hacked into SmileyBear’s account?

Slightly off topic.. Can I be the one to stick my head above the parapet here and suggest a pretty obvious song for him when he does score? Not sure if this has been suggested before?

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen..

"Borna - Bar-a-siiiic" etc etc..

Who wouldnt leave to hear "the boss" playing full pelt at Ibrox after Borna rattles a free kick in the top bin vs the scum?

Abuse you? Jesus joaney. I asked you what your reply had to do with my post (answer = not much) and your response was for me to engage my brain. Now you want to chib me in a PM.

Is this FrownyBear hacked into SmileyBear’s account?
welcome to FF mate, you say something that someone doesn't agree with and he wants to meet you away from the keyboard for a fight. Think SmileyBear needs to calm down.

He has real class. As has been mentioned , people putting Halliday ahead of him Is beyond crazy, and personally would find it difficult to discuss football with people who are of that opinion.

Hopefully he will kick on after that special strike. Needs to be braver going forward and try to hit the bye line more often to whip in some good crosses. Looks a confidence thing!

Prior to the free-kick he was pretty damn awful.

After it you could see the confidence go through him but he still let the cross in for that bad miss. No doubting the guy has ability but it's a confusing one.

Really, really want him to succeed but not sure he will.

A chance they shouldn’t have had, and should have scored from.

Ignoring his failings is every bit as unhelpful as overt criticism of him.
Your giving the guy pelters for something that came to nothing its no making much sense. Tbh it just sounds like you won't give the guy a chance. If he was never ever beaten from lb then he wouldn't be playing with us. I'm not saying he's been great or even good but he's been nowhere near as bad as getting made out to be.

Your giving the guy pelters for something that came to nothing its no making much sense. Tbh it just sounds like you won't give the guy a chance. If he was never ever beaten from lb then he wouldn't be playing with us. I'm not saying he's been great or even good but he's been nowhere near as bad as getting made out to be.

I really want him to succeed. thought it was a great signing at the outset, like everyone else.
A year down the road, do I want him to play against Legiia or the Filth this week? Probably not and I expect SG will go with Flanagan for both,
We really need Borna to step up now, or we sell and buy a new, solid lb.

Hopefully that gives him some confidence to kick on.

I would however be starting Flanagan against Celtic.

Hopefully that gives him some confidence to kick on.

I would however be starting Flanagan against Celtic.
I’m the same. Want to see him get a run and a proper chance but only after Thu and Sun are out the way. That in itself probably says something about whether he’ll ever be our first choice LB or not.

Its unfortunate that we cant give him a really good run of games at the moment - i honestly think that if we could get him playing in 5/6/7 games in a row he will improve game on game.

Ideally we would have a run of games against the "lesser" teams even if we had hearts/hibs/aberdeen at home in that run it wouldn't be an issue to allow him to build some confidence.

this was his first game for a few and I think he was just trying to keep it simple and do the basics - which you could argue is what he should have been doing.

the last minutes where that Gallacher lad got the cross in towards the end I'm not going to lose to much sleep over, you could see that Barasic was struggling a little bit with cramp or a slight knock and was finding it hard to keep with the opposition player.

Didn’t he completely fluff a shot and miss the ball shortly after the goal?
Yes and he's the only guy in history to have done that too.

Meanwhile, Flano is pinging 60yd wonder-passes to our forwards and Halliday is skinning guys for fun and firing in brilliant crosses.

*EDIT they are not but Barisic is getting it tight for not doing these things even though he has done in the past.

As I've stated earlier, he's not been pulling up trees but the stick he is getting is way over the top.

I fully expect him to play on Sunday.

Prior to the free-kick he was pretty damn awful.

After it you could see the confidence go through him but he still let the cross in for that bad miss. No doubting the guy has ability but it's a confusing one.

Really, really want him to succeed but not sure he will.
He really wasn't though was he? Sure he wasnt skinning players but he was so, retained the ball and was having a good game. I swear people just have a negative perception of him that if he isn't skinning players like Tav then he's horrendous.

You wouldn't see Halliday or Flanagan skinning players either, but they don't get the same rubbish.

Good technically, but he avoids tackling/50:50s and he isn't great defensively (opposition wingers must fancy themselves against him). He's also refusing to run with the ball at the moment, but I don't know how much of that is down to confidence vs Gerrard telling him to play it safe.

I'd sell him if we were offered what we paid for him in the coming days and I'd bring in a left back that's more suited to the physical nature of Scottish football.

I am still concerned about his defending, I wouldn’t be confident at all about him being up against Forrest on Sunday for example.

He is never going to be our left sided Tav, but we need a lot more from him. He doesn’t ever seem to want the ball, which points to a confidence issue.

Frankly, I think we need a proper left back still as it’s going to cost us going forward. It’s where teams are getting joy from no matter who is playing - I think it’s a myth that Flanagan is solid.

I do like Borna but he clearly sh!ts himself in some challenges and his constant cutting back in and playing it back the way does my nut in, fair enough keep possession but sometimes he needs to bloody well drive with the ball down that wing and take a risk!

He did show the St. Mirren player outside only to then be skinned with their big chance in the last few minutes so I am not sure it is just confidence.
My pet hate...a full back who fails to block the cross. This one was easy to stop. Had they scored, the big man would be getting pelters!

Last edited:

If a player makes a howler and the striker misses a sitter, should the mistake be ignored on the grounds of the final result? In my business, if I make a mistake that leads to nothing, I don't ignore the fact that something bad could have come of it. I make sure the mistake doesn't happen again.

You've not read my other posts if you think i'm not giving him a chance. He's also been here 18 months, it's not as if he's getting criticism after a handful of games.

I think Gerrard will play barisic on Sunday.

Showing that kind of faith in him could really pay off. He'll also not be playing against a team who don't just sit back.

It could be the making or breaking of him but I'd cream myself if we got a 1-0 win with a Borna free kick.

Showing that kind of faith in him could really pay off. He'll also not be playing against a team who don't just sit back.

It could be the making or breaking of him but I'd cream myself if we got a 1-0 win with a Borna free kick.
No chance imo

Flanagan will play in both ties as our best defensive left back

If a player makes a howler and the striker misses a sitter, should the mistake be ignored on the grounds of the final result? In my business, if I make a mistake that leads to nothing, I don't ignore the fact that something bad could have come of it. I make sure the mistake doesn't happen again.

You've not read my other posts if you think i'm not giving him a chance. He's also been here 18 months, it's not as if he's getting criticism after a handful of games.
A get what your saying he's been here 18 months but how much game time has he actually had. Would it then be fair to say morelos isn't gonna make it cause I have watched the boy miss easier than he's scored? Of course not. I think he needs a steady run of games to show us what he is capable of and show some level of consistency you will never see if a player is making a start every 8 weeks. In my humble opinion.

But will he be Bornagain ?

I really think he should be given a decent chance over five or six games to show his mettle!

I'm telling you, Barisic could have one of the greatest performances ever, by any player, in a Rangers jersey and you would still have folk on here posting about how bad he was.
And he could have an absolute shiter and you’d still get the “aye but Croatia” posters defend it.

It’s a myth that he could have a great game etc and still get slaughtered. That’s because it’s yet to happen.

And he could have an absolute shiter and you’d still get the “aye but Croatia” posters defend it.

It’s a myth that he could have a great game etc and still get slaughtered. That’s because it’s yet to happen.

Or he could have a great game and people like you would still slate him, swings and roundabouts really

Seen nothing from Barišić that warrants a start against the bheggars.

Flanagan was excellent against them at Ibrox in 2-0 game. Opening thundering challenge on Rogic resulted in him hiding until he was hooked.

Back