Big Dunc talks about his disgraceful treatment by the SFA

The SFA are scum.
Imagine trying to ban him for 12 games after doing jail time.

I love how big Dunc speaks about Walter Smith.

Do we hold him in high regard? Certainly not as a player for us, although it will always be one of those 'what ifs'.

We had to sign him when we did, but the timing simply didn't work. Any signs Hateley was on the decline were blown to pieces that season and we also had Ally. I don't think Smith was capable of keeping 3 strikers like that happy, never mind fitting them into a system that worked.

He was a good big player, and comes across as a decent guy, but his reputation down south is mostly derived from hard work and being a hardman. He was never a goalscorer and he went years never able to put a run of games together without breaking down.
Ally had a broken leg at the time.

In my years as a Bear there are only three Scottish players that I was convinced we had to sign, at any price - Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson and Big Dunc.

Duncan was terribly unlucky. Our enemies spotted a weak point and were ruthless in exploiting it. His treatment was truly an injustice.

He couldn’t represent Ferguson as he was a witness that day.
What was to stop him guiding the club as to how to represent Ferguson in the background? He was McRumpole, ffs.

My opinion?

Murray told him to leave well alone and that was that.

Findlay was Murray's poodle at AGMs. There to intimidate any shareholder with the temerity to ask an awkward question at an AGM.

Then when push came to shove he was thrown to the wolves in May 1999, because Murray had tired of him.

If only the story had finished there.

Sadly, even after all these years ago, a true example of how the " Downtrodden community " actually have done very well in the Country that welcomed them.
Utterly pathetic!

I remember when he was at United (and linked with us), he played Gough off the park....on the ground.

He was fantastic on the ground.

His signing made Hateley play better. My recollection of 93/94 was awful to watch. Hateley was about the only nominee for poty.

Everton turned out a fantastic move for him - and Everton.

The podcast is really interesting - Ferguson comes across pretty well. I didn't realise that he supported Rangers as a kid. Otherwise interesting to hear him say that he has little interest in Scottish football and as to how much he liked Walter Smith and Ally McCoist. He didn't say one way or another what he thinks of Rangers now but clearly he was bent out of shape for the SFA for long enough - me too, but for different reasons....

Listened to the full thing, he comes across really well. The way he talks sounds like he should be thick as f*ck but he's clearly quite an intelligent big guy with some pretty good takes on life.

Ferguson was on probation for a previous assault, which was his 3rd assault charge.
1 of his previous 3 charges was headbutting a policeman.
He was jailed solely for that incident.
Ferguson clearly had issues.
Late to the party here (again...)
The SFA were a disgrace, but...takes deep breath....the big man was clearly a troubled man at that time.
He was a ticking time bomb.
Anyone can lose the rag, and assault someone. Anyone.
Once is unlucky, three times is not - its a man who was out of control and who needed genuine help, so lets not kid ourselves with him remembering his side of the story.

And again to be clear - the SFA hung him out to dry, and were an absolute disgrace, but, if he wasnt sent down when he was, the way he was going he would have probably belted someone else at a taxi rank / in a club / at Asda.

The referee missed the incident so the SFA pursued Duncan for retrospective punishment. To be fair, McStay at first refused to appear before the SFA but he was apparently forced to when the SFA threatened to kick Raith Rovers out the cup.
Kenny Clark didn't miss the incident. He booked Ferguson.

The SFA were a disgrace, but...takes deep breath....the big man was clearly a troubled man at that time.
Once is unlucky, three times is not - its a man who was out of control and who needed genuine help, so lets not kid ourselves with him remembering his side of the story.

And again to be clear - the SFA hung him out to dry, and were an absolute disgrace, but, if he wasnt sent down when he was, the way he was going he would have probably belted someone else at a taxi rank / in a club / at Asda.
Rangers under Murray and whiskers QC hung him out to dry.

The SFA just pounced on the negligence.

His record for assault was shocking, its what got him the tin pale.
Although you can hardly call what ferguson done to mcstay a headbutt.

I really enjoyed listening to that earlier, Ferguson comes across very well and it’s a shame that the Drunken Duncan image haunts him nearly
30yrs on.
Tea-total and engrossed in football and coaching youngsters. I hope he makes a great success of it at Forest Green Rovers.

More by what he doesn’t say when talking about the headbutt and jail sentence but I think he felt let down by Rangers FC, although clearly maintains a lot of respect for Walter Smith and Ally McCoist.

I really enjoyed listening to that earlier, Ferguson comes across very well and it’s a shame that the Drunken Duncan image haunts him nearly
30yrs on.
Tea-total and engrossed in football and coaching youngsters. I hope he makes a great success of it at Forest Green Rovers.

More by what he doesn’t say when talking about the headbutt and jail sentence but I think he felt let down by Rangers FC, although clearly maintains a lot of respect for Walter Smith and Ally McCoist.
I agree with what you have written, including your last sentence. As a caveat to what I wrote above about him saying he wasn't interested in Scottish football, he said something like "but obviously you need to keep one eye on the job market"... I can only imagine that means Rangers.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him do that job one day, it would be pretty interesting!

His record for assault was shocking, its what got him the tin pale.
Although you can hardly call what ferguson done to mcstay a headbutt.
Re the assault record, he sounds a substantially different character from when he was a teenager playing for Dundee United. His description of beating the shit out of the burglars at his house / trying to revive one of them who he thought he might have killed was an eye-opener.

This is also true - it seems the spell in jail helped him sort his life out. Quite impressive that he turned it around.

Back