Big Match Revisited

5bNSzly.gif

You wouldn’t have seen any yellow cards as they weren’t used in English domestic football until 1976
Were yellow cards not brought in in 1970 and red cards in 1976?
Could be wrong but it's one of those strange things I seem to remember

In the match programme all of the days games were given a 'letter' from a-z. The match scores from those games were put on the hourdings at half time against their respective letters
You had to buy the match programme to get the key to the letters, could be well into the 2nd half occasionally prompting potentially confusing random cheers when a 'good' result was posted.

Does anyone know what the letters along the side of the pitch was for
They told you the scores of the other games being played. The letters corresponded with the teams on the back of the program.
At half time they would put the scoring against each letter and again at full time.

Were yellow cards not brought in in 1970 and red cards in 1976?
Could be wrong but it's one of those strange things I seem to remember

Could be wrong here too but my memory tells me there was a break in the use of cards in English football for a season or two. There was some sort of a theory that the existence of cards encouraged the referee to brandish them, so if they were taken away it would lead to fewer bookings/sending offs. All that happened was that no one in the crowd knew whether someone had simply had a talking to or had been booked leading to confusion so they were reintroduced.

There were first used in 1970 World Cup but didn’t come into domestic football in England until 1976.

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/yellow-and-red-cards/
Sorry - the article quoted is fundamentally wrong - it says George Best was one of the first players booked when playing for Man Utd in 1976 - Best's last game for Utd was in Jan 74.

Also, as previously mentioned to you, the big match series we are talking about was showing games from 1975 and several bookings took place during those televised games

Sorry - the article quoted is fundamentally wrong - it says George Best was one of the first players booked when playing for Man Utd in 1976 - Best's last game for Utd was in Jan 74.

Also, as previously mentioned to you, the big match series we are talking about was showing games from 1975 and several bookings took place during those televised games
I think he was booked playing for Fulham

Here’s Tommy McLean scoring at Ibrox. Pitch doesn’t look great and ball bobbling all over the place.

That wouldn’t have bothered Calamero as his Dad trained him to run after and catch chickens in ploughed fields knowing that skill would be useful in later life

They told you the scores of the other games being played. The letters corresponded with the teams on the back of the program.
At half time they would put the scoring against each letter and again at full time.

They were using that system right up to early 1994 at huddersfield, always made me buy the programme that even though there was usually an old duffer with a tranny

Obviously players were booked before 1976 but they weren’t shown yellow cards.

Below is a link to an article from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23634720

Obviously players were booked before 1976 but they weren’t shown yellow cards.

Below is a link to an article from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23634720
I think that link appears to confirm an earlier post of mine i.e.

Could be wrong here too but my memory tells me there was a break in the use of cards in English football for a season or two. There was some sort of a theory that the existence of cards encouraged the referee to brandish them, so if they were taken away it would lead to fewer bookings/sending offs. All that happened was that no one in the crowd knew whether someone had simply had a talking to or had been booked leading to confusion so they were reintroduced.

Maybe the old memory isn’t failing as much as I thought

Here’s Tommy McLean scoring at Ibrox. Pitch doesn’t look great and ball bobbling all over the place.

Wee Tam Sir Sandy working down the right gave me hours of football pleasure and understanding of the game. Two great technicians of our wonderful game.
Recall Tam getting a hard time as he replaced Willie Henderson but Tam, for me, made DJ other his wonderful precision passes.
Happy times in the centenary stand.

Wee Tam Sir Sandy working down the right gave me hours of football pleasure and understanding of the game. Two great technicians of our wonderful game.
Recall Tam getting a hard time as he replaced Willie Henderson but Tam, for me, made DJ other his wonderful precision passes.
Happy times in the centenary stand.

Couldn’t agree more. East enclosure at the time for me as a young boy. Used to annoy me no end the abuse Tommy took from some in our support at the time.

Back