Big tall striker needed i think

Nah.

I hate the idea of us wasting time on a training pitch hoofing balls at a player in hope

Work on better and smarter passing, elements we can control.

Said the self same thing to my Son and Son in Law last night, we need another option if the games not going to plan.There must be a big strong striker out there, who could do a good job for us.
Im sure the gaffer's also thought about this also.

Last edited:
Nah.

I hate the idea of us wasting time on a training pitch hoofing balls at a player in hope

Work on better and smarter passing, elements we can control.

You have to remember mate we need to deal with bent refs too..... get it in theree nice and early let the big man attack it and the opposition make mistakes.

Most spfl defensive’s are filled with big bloggers who are decent in the air

However, most of them struggle with pace and intelligence

Not a bad option but not necessary either

We don't really play that style of football, so I doubt Gerrard will be looking for someone like that.

Our strength is our link up play around the box, not humping hopeful balls into the box mate.
This is my thoughts on it. I really can’t see Gerrard abandoning the controlled ground game to throw balls into the box, hoping for the best.

Still think we could do with a big tall striker a hateley / prso type to give us a different option if we are searching for a goal ,someone who could get on to the end of a cross in a packed defence and can rough defenders up
BIG TALL STRIKER, similar to small tall striker?

Gerrard wants to play one up front. He's done all his recruitment based on playing one up front. I do worry that there's not much of a plan B at the moment, but at least we have more attack minded midfielders than at points last season playing Jack, McCrorie and Coulibaly in the midfield, essentially three DMs.

Totally agree with the op. We get many games at Ibrox where teams will be siege defending without any real fear of balls crossed from our wings - and we tend to do that a lot. It’s incredible to me that we are going into another season with no great aerial threat up front.

We need that option to make teams think twice about just letting our fullbacks get space wide. They sacrifice numbers wide, then they just pack the box in the certainty that we will then play more crosses - therefore playing to our own weakness. They let us cross without real fear - meanwhile they cover spaces and block shooting opportunities with more bodies than they could use if our crossing worried them, or was a threat.

We need that style of player for games where these teams are playing for a draw with 20-30 mins to go.

Last edited:
big physical strikers with DECENT ability have always tended to do well in Scottish football, in recent times we have proved this to be the case, Hately, Drinkell, etc.

Its always an option I've liked to have but I don't think that's the way Gerrard is ever going to play football. You have Lafferty and Herrera as option but truth be told they are both mince and actually get smaller when they jump.

Still think we could do with a big tall striker a hateley / prso type to give us a different option if we are searching for a goal ,someone who could get on to the end of a cross in a packed defence and can rough defenders up
Well we've seen what happens when one of our strikers 'roughs defenders up' !!!!

I would take Victor Anichebe.

Released by Beijing Enterprises and got involved in some issues with them and accused them of match fixing. Safe to say things didn’t go well in China but he’s a player.

Big, strong, quick, experience of the British game and still only 31.

big physical strikers with DECENT ability have always tended to do well in Scottish football, in recent times we have proved this to be the case, Hately, Drinkell, etc.

Its always an option I've liked to have but I don't think that's the way Gerrard is ever going to play football. You have Lafferty and Herrera as option but truth be told they are both mince and actually get smaller when they jump.
Those aren't really recent examples. You're talking early 90s or earler.

If you look at who the top goalscorers are in Scottish football recently very few are target man strikers. Only really Moult or Cosgrove and I wouldn't even say Moult was one of those while Cosgrove scores a lot of penalties.

Gerrard commented on lafferty’s exit that he added to our “armoury”. A big tall physical presence up front.

Gerrard commented on lafferty’s exit that he added to our “armoury”. A big tall physical presence up front.

Lafferty was absolutely minging in the air. I'm clueless as to why his height is used as reference point for us needing something to aim at for hoofball.

If Gerrard thought Lafferty had any merit and added to our armoury, he wouldn't be paying him off

Those aren't really recent examples. You're talking early 90s or earler.

If you look at who the top goalscorers are in Scottish football recently very few are target man strikers. Only really Moult or Cosgrove and I wouldn't even say Moult was one of those while Cosgrove scores a lot of penalties.

No one believes a target man would be coming in to be top scorer, he probably wouldnt start most games anyway, theres a wee bit more to playing as a forward than just getting 15/20 goals. We have the finishers already thats not the problem.

If he scores no goals but plays a part in a few tight 1 goal wins by knocking centre backs out the way thens been well worth it.

I dont really see the point in ignoring this issue and worry slightly thats what Gerrard is doing because he believes we can just outplay and outpass this level of opposition. Or cos its no modern tactics. Dont agree at all they might lack quality in attack but can be difficult to break down when crowded in and around the penalty box, thats without even starting on refs that are going to once again be lenient and allow diddy sides to spoil games v Rangers.

Having read Gerrard's interview quotes it confirms that he's going to stick to the one rigid system and set of tactics. That "Plan B is do Plan A better" really didn't work for Warburton, so is a cause for concern.

Having read Gerrard's interview quotes it confirms that he's going to stick to the one rigid system and set of tactics. That "Plan B is do Plan A better" really didn't work for Warburton, so is a cause for concern.

You’re fishing, right? :)

He’s changed the formation on the basis it wasn’t working for us in Jan/Feb, so March saw us tighten it up.

I’d like a third striker. A proper one, bit a false 9 or, more accurately, a winger shoehorned in up top, but the rest of it, it’s not even remotely comparable.

We don't really play that style of football, so I doubt Gerrard will be looking for someone like that.

Our strength is our link up play around the box, not humping hopeful balls into the box mate.
I agree but when we need a goal and nothings happening for us this type of striker could come in handy if we go route 1 for the last 10 15 mins of a game. It would give us a different option when we play against teams who play 10 men in the box

Lafferty was absolutely minging in the air. I'm clueless as to why his height is used as reference point for us needing something to aim at for hoofball.

If Gerrard thought Lafferty had any merit and added to our armoury, he wouldn't be paying him off
He did though, that was gerrards exact words.

Christ a big man up front is the last thing we need and thankfully SG seems to agree, punt it and hope went out in the stone age. We better players and more quality not a giant to aim 7 foot crosses at

It's the same at the vast majority of football teams though.

Warburton wasn't totally wrong in saying that he just executed his own words in a shite way.

Liverpool pretty much do Plan B better as their Plan A as an example, Barca, Madric etc - very few teams utterly change what they are doing during a game.

It's the same at the vast majority of football teams though.

Warburton wasn't totally wrong in saying that he just executed his own words in a shite way.

Liverpool pretty much do Plan B better as their Plan A as an example, Barca, Madric etc - very few teams utterly change what they are doing during a game.
The only change I would like to see us making is moving from a 4 to a 3 at the back, changing teh shape and personnel but keeping the same style and ethos - and only very occasionally when things are just not working.

He did though, that was gerrards exact words.

Hes referring to it as being the case at the time of signing. He's obviously realised he was wrong.

Doesnt even mention his height either. Simply says "the type of player we could add to our armoury" and it could refer to someone who could score 10-15 goals a season in the SPL which he also failed to do.

Don’t really think it’s part of the modern game really. Our style is based On pressing so we need small quick frontmen.

Back