Big tall striker needed i think

I just mean someone we could have on the bench who gives us that option ,yes we try play football and try cut open defences but there are games were we try and try and we just cant get through .there was games last season were we could have played all day and not scored due to a packed defense and with barasic and tav putting balls into the box a big striker gives us a different option late in a game we can bring on to try grab us a goal

I think a third striker with the attributes you mention would be a great option. We get some great deliveries into the box at times but the ratio to goals is pretty low. We’ll see SPFL teams sitting deep and we’ll revert to crossing early balls into the box. It will happen at times, especially late on in games as you say.

Whilst I get the argument-good ones don't grow on trees and don't come cheap-I'm of the opinion when you play in Scotland for a team that needs to win every game-having a bit of physicality and height in terms of a striker is a must.

If we are playing good football and winning fine but what if we are chasing a goal the last 15 mins and it isn't working?

I don't doubt Lafferty will be replaced.

Still think we could do with a big tall striker a hateley / prso type to give us a different option if we are searching for a goal ,someone who could get on to the end of a cross in a packed defence and can rough defenders up
Not sure Hateley and Prso didn't have more to their games than just being big target men.

As other posters have said, straight from the Steve Mclaren team approach...

Not sure the OP is saying that either, but he’s right to point out those particular traits as something we’re possibly missing.
The equivalent Hately/Prso is outwith our budget just now I fear. These guys are once in a generation plyers. We've tried but ended up with imposters. It's not enough to be big and strong, they have to be able to play a bit too.
If SG was inclined to go for such a player, I'd be surprised.

It’s a great alternative, another option. The OP’s detractors sound like warburtons “plan B is do plan A better”. I’m also sure the OP doesn’t just mean sign the biggest guy we can find, but a player of a suitable standard and with a great physical presence. The problem is I can’t think of any that would be affordable and willing to play back up.

I just mean someone we could have on the bench who gives us that option ,yes we try play football and try cut open defences but there are games were we try and try and we just cant get through .there was games last season were we could have played all day and not scored due to a packed defense and with barasic and tav putting balls into the box a big striker gives us a different option late in a game we can bring on to try grab us a goal
I agree with you mate,I am not saying we change our style and lump the ball in to the box at every opportunity,but there are occasions when we could mix it up and a striker who could win the ball in the air would be great for Alfie or Defoe to feed off the chances this would create.

After hearing of us scouting the Zagreb game last week I had a look at there side and they’ve got a 6’4 striker who seems decent technically. Bruno Petkovic, only signed for them in January though after joining on loan last summer, had scored a few goals including a cracking overhead kick below.

Even if you are right, OP.

Where do we find a match-winning striker who can make an impact from the bench and is within our budget and wage structure?

It's not the worst idea for games where it's not going to plan, I just think it's a narrow and difficult criteria to recruit successfully.

We have to assume that our tactics will work MOST of the time.

its a tough one.............cant think of anyone myself thats brave, powerful good in the air, wouldnt cost much plays for a team thats skint, knows the league would love to sign even if he didnt start most weeks and is also on outstanding form at international level.

index.jpg

We don't really play that style of football, so I doubt Gerrard will be looking for someone like that.

Our strength is our link up play around the box, not humping hopeful balls into the box mate.

I understand what you are saying but, a taller ST wouldn't be such a bad thing especially given that we have Tav, Barisic and now Jones, all of whom can, it seems, put in crosses into the mix. Neither Alfredo nor Jermaine are very tall so having a ST who can 'do those things in addition' surely gives yet another option - today was an example of crosses coming in but with no-one able to reach those balls.

I know we can't have everything !

The OP isn't far wrong, in that, I still feel we need a bastard of a back up forward. Someone who can contribute to the game outwith the box, but still fit our style, whilst offering a presence when called upon.

And get them for free.

Unless anyone's got a free time machine lying around and I'll go kidnap 1991 Hateley

What I wouldn't give for a Dado Prso - if we got someone along those lines we'd walk the league - the only question would be by how many points.

Kyle Lafferty is a big tall striker

Yeah, hasn't struck much though, waste of space here ! ( or indeed possibly anywhere else )

If looking at striker options it would surely be worth taking into account height but only after taking into account the basics for a striker !

Morelos gets plenty goals from crosses, dunno wot height has got to do with it

The issue isn’t scoring from crosses on the counter attack, but when the opposition are difficult to break down and sitting deep. In the past we’ve reverted to swinging balls into the box with nobody capable of getting on the end of it at near/back post.

Don't know about a big striker , think we defo need another out and out striker for cover for Alfie (if stays) and Defoe . Go back to the semi against the sheep this could happen again I know people saying Stewart , Kent (if back) could fill in if needed but would rather have a proper striker to back up. And no I don't have any suggestions

I see where u are coming from mate and I pretty much agree with u but I don’t know who would be that striker prepared to sit on the bench

Call me old school but I would always like a big unit of a striker on the bench for games when you are a goal down or level in the last few mins
Old school, nah I wouldn't call it that! So tell us more about the bung scandal that got you humped from the England job Sam ??:D

Yeah, hasn't struck much though, waste of space here ! ( or indeed possibly anywhere else )

If looking at striker options it would surely be worth taking into account height but only after taking into account the basics for a striker !

Exactly my point mate

Morelos has scored in his last 2 European games with headers.

Defoe scored a header today & scored one against Marseille.

If the service & ball is good, a good striker will bury the header, regardless of size. It's all about their movement.

Let's hump the ball up the park and straight into the box?? Why don't we have a midfield fire sale also, bypass the play makers and quality build up play we have adopted under SG and just go with the route 1 style Aberdeen demonstrate.

FF at times honestly makes me wonder wtf goes through some people's heads.

People need to chill the %^*& out, it's pre season, we are playing well and as the weeks pass the opponents quality increase but players cant perform at 100% non stop.

Another test this week but we will be fine

Morelos has scored in his last 2 European games with headers.

Defoe scored a header today & scored one against Marseille.

If the service & ball is good, a good striker will bury the header, regardless of size. It's all about their movement.

Well maybe but Rangers are going to come up against sides that will totally crowd out the penalty area(sometimes on a terrible park/bad weather) so really theres so little space to move into it can become very difficult even for 2 quality strikers.

unless ofcourse you fire it first time right in there, no 16 passes going round in circles back to where you started, let the big lad bash the opposition out the way. Its not just about scoring goals its about winning the physical battle and bullying them which then gives the more talented finishers like defoe that wee bit of space he needs.

Let's hump the ball up the park and straight into the box?? Why don't we have a midfield fire sale also, bypass the play makers and quality build up play we have adopted under SG and just go with the route 1 style Aberdeen demonstrate.

FF at times honestly makes me wonder wtf goes through some people's heads.

People need to chill the %^*& out, it's pre season, we are playing well and as the weeks pass the opponents quality increase but players cant perform at 100% non stop.

Another test this week but we will be fine

Or lets do what we need to do to win football games.

You just said players cant perform at their best every week, which is true so having a different option cant be a bad thing. Bring the big lad off the bench and launch it in there.

Still think we could do with a big tall striker a hateley / prso type to give us a different option if we are searching for a goal ,someone who could get on to the end of a cross in a packed defence and can rough defenders up

Said the self same thing to my Son and Son in Law last night, we need another option if the games not going to plan.There must be a big strong striker out there, who could do a good job for us.
Im sure the gaffer's also thought about this also.

We'd do better with another striker that can play with their back to goal and bring the likes or Aribo, Davis, Arfiels and Ojo into play

Back