Biggest European Team We Haven’t Played Competitively ?

We played Milan in the 50s in the European cup. 1-0 up with not long to go, but ended up losing 1-4

Liverpool top you’d say.

Chelsea have 6 European trophies so if you were measuring based on European success they’d be up there.

Do Schalke have one of the biggest fan bases in Europe? Second or third in Germany?

Liverpool top you’d say.

Chelsea have 6 European trophies so if you were measuring based on European success they’d be up there.

Do Schalke have one of the biggest fan bases in Europe? Second or third in Germany?
Toss up between them and Dortmund really for second. If they were in CL regular they would probably just edge it, bit away from them now in members count but still impressive.

Think I’m wrong there actually if this is right - I’d be surprised if they had more come Jan 2022 though, sure I read Schalkes had dropped since relegation.

Has a paywall. Says in June 21 Schalke had 160k, BVB 154k.

This is from 3 years ago but you can see how close it is:

Last edited:
Liverpool top you’d say.

Consistently third behind the obvious two I think.

It’s a decent place for a game too, ridiculous amount of Turkish immigrant in Gelsenkirchen so the kebabs are unrivalled :))

Because they’re the biggest. Lie to yourself and pretend chelsea are though
Genuinely asking what you’re basing it on?

Historically Arsenal’s attendance is barely higher than Chelsea’s and while they’ve admittedly been successful with leagues and cups in the past, that’s exactly where their success is, in the past.

Chelsea are comfortably London’s premier club these days.

Genuinely asking what you’re basing it on?

Historically Arsenal’s attendance is barely higher than Chelsea’s and while they’ve admittedly been successful with leagues and cups in the past, that’s exactly where their success is, in the past.

Chelsea are comfortably London’s premier club these days.
To be fair to him, his initial mocking was due to the ridicule of Man City as a big club. Using the Chelsea criteria, City absolutely are a big club.
In terms of the OP, excluding UK clubs, can’t think of many obvious big names we’ve never played. Be good to play Real or Milan in a modern setting though!

I’ll assume we’re talking about sides that are generally a big side and not just sides that have enjoyed a season or two, like Notts Forrest. Just going by memory here and from what I remember from books from before my time:
Arsenal? I don’t remember a competitive fixture
Liverpool
Chelsea
Atletico Madrid

We’ve played all the big French teams (PSG, Marseille, Monaco, Lyon), the big 3 Italian sides (not sure about the likes of Roma, Lazio, etc), Bayern and Dortmund, and I’m sure we have played big teams from smaller nations: PSV, Ajax, (Feynoord?), Porto (Have we played Sporting Lisbon?), I’m not sure there are any others.
Feyenoord and Sporting? Haha

There’s also the small matter of the run to the ECWC win in 1972.

The famous tie Rangers won on away goals - but only after the incompetent ref played penalties, which Rangers lost!
Well before my time but I remember reading about the penalty /away goal incident but I had no idea who it was against.

Man City have won a European trophy though.
Same one as us. I really do not get the anti City stuff they won the football lottery after suffering for decades since their hay day. Had the Queens portrait in the dressing room at their old ground.
Not my team but had a mate who passed away young who had a season ticket at Ibrox but also followed City.

Quite a list starting with current European champs Chelsea. Also from England, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal. Spanish giants Atletico Madrid might be the biggest mainland Euro side we have yet to play although Roma and Lazio might beg to differ.

Had we ever played Benfica competitively before last season? I can’t remember it happening

Because they’re the biggest. Lie to yourself and pretend chelsea are though
tenor.gif

Are PSG really a big club? Weren’t they formed in 1970 and one successful down to money are they any bigger than Man City?

Are PSG really a big club? Weren’t they formed in 1970 and one successful down to money are they any bigger than Man City?
To be fair the reason they were formed makes them a pretty big Club to start with I would say.

I’ll assume we’re talking about sides that are generally a big side and not just sides that have enjoyed a season or two, like Notts Forrest. Just going by memory here and from what I remember from books from before my time:
Arsenal? I don’t remember a competitive fixture
Liverpool
Chelsea
Atletico Madrid

We’ve played all the big French teams (PSG, Marseille, Monaco, Lyon), the big 3 Italian sides (not sure about the likes of Roma, Lazio, etc), Bayern and Dortmund, and I’m sure we have played big teams from smaller nations: PSV, Ajax, (Feynoord?), Porto (Have we played Sporting Lisbon?), I’m not sure there are any others.
Have we played sporting Lisbon? We're almost their bogey team...hahahhaa.

Back