Biggest flops on the journey to 55?

True Blue Avenger

Inspired by the.excellent "Players worth a special mention" thread yesterday, I thought I'd reverse that and ask who we think the biggest flops have been on the path back to the top? Players who looked like they could make a difference on paper but contributed the sum total of hee-haw? I generally don't like slagging off players too much but its just a bit of fun and you can't really escape the fact we've had some absolute numpties pulling on our famous jersey over the past decade.

I don't think it's fair to count some of the players at div 3 / early recovery stages level cos they were genuinely limited footballers who we had no choice but to give them a game. So no Faure, Agyriou etc for me... but you might think different.

Here's a few to start off:

Pena & Herrera - The obvious 2. Genius level thinking here - let's sign 2 random Mexicans for a combined 5 mil who've never played in Europe. One a big immobile striker who'd scored about 10 goals his entire career and the other with some talent but a raging alky. Couldn't make it up...

Joey Barton - Mouthed off a bit before arrival, underestimated the league, turned up unfit and lasted about 3 months before he fell out with a manager who was never going to be able to handle him anyways. Some of us suspected it might end bad...and it did.

Eros Grezda - The one significant blot on Gerrsards otherwise impeccable recruitment record. Stinking attitude and limited ability do not a Rangers player make.

Kris Boyd - tin hat on here cos obviously love Boydy the pundit these days and can't fault his first spell with us...but he was a shadow of the player he was (and went on to be again at Killie after us, bizarrely) during that season in the championship. Fair to say he wasn't in good shape, scored 3 league goals all season when a finisher of his natural ability should have been ripping it up in that league.

Any more for any more?

Joe Garner?

overall I think his ratio ended up being 1 in every 3 or thereabouts and yes he went for absolutely every ball and was a nutter but as a striker he was piss poor for us.

Lee Hodson to an extent but that’s more because of warburton being the sleekit smug prick that he is “yes we’ve been over speaking to a player but he was at the euros. Yes the euros. That big international competition on the telly? Yes our next signing was there did I mention that?”

he struggles to get a game for relegation fodder in this league never mind us

I don't think players from the lower league should immediately be discounted as some meant we spent another year in the Championship.

Ian Black was hopeless.

David Templeton cost a significant transfer fee and was poor.

Last edited:
Templeton, MOH, Black, Barton

Everyone else either contributed or we knew they were so bad coming in that there was no surprise.

Every single one played a part in this story. A butterfly effect.

Commented on a Tim's FB the other day who shared the video of SG slipping against Chelsea. All part of the story. If that hadn't happened Celtic may have got 10IAR. If the 5-0/1's didn't happen we might have gone in a different direction. If Pedro wasn't in a bush... etc etc. In the end we're the ones with the big silver thing when it mattered most.

Not going back as far as the division 3 & 2 days as i dont have that much time.
MOH, Grezda, Pena, Herrera, Barton all the obvious ones mentioned.
Senderos.. just wow. Matt Crooks, Jon Toral.

On the other hand, someone that we could almost always count on throughout our “journey” was the great Kenny Miller and imo doesn’t get near enough credit from our fans.

Yeah, this is what 55 is all about.

A job with The Sun/Record other assorted shite Scottish media awaits the OP.

Ooft...harsh. I'm as excited as the next bear about the imminent arrival of 55 and commented positively on tons of other threads. This was just light-heartedly looking back on those who didn't quite make the grade ... but you don't seem to be alone in not liking it and I seem to be taking pelters so maybe it wasn't my brightest idea ever...we live and learn.

Joe Garner?

overall I think his ratio ended up being 1 in every 3 or thereabouts and yes he went for absolutely every ball and was a nutter but as a striker he was piss poor for us.

Lee Hodson to an extent but that’s more because of warburton being the sleekit smug prick that he is “yes we’ve been over speaking to a player but he was at the euros. Yes the euros. That big international competition on the telly? Yes our next signing was there did I mention that?”

he struggles to get a game for relegation fodder in this league never mind us
Garner was an odd signing because he didn't suit Warburton's style of play at all. We hardly crossed a ball.

Think he would probably have scored a few this season with Tav and Barisic whipping in the balls they do.

I don't think Ejaria had the stomach for our team.

Lafferty and Jones were their own undoing.

The guys we signed in the 2nd Div and 1st year in the championship, who came from SPL clubs and seemed to think they could walk on the park and stroll around and the blue Jersey would work wonders. Guys like Law and Black.

The guys we signed in the 2nd Div and 1st year in the championship, who came from SPL clubs and seemed to think they could walk on the park and stroll around and the blue Jersey would work wonders. Guys like Law and Black.
I think you're being a bit harsh on Law, he wasn't very good but he was still our only player with any quality at times throughout his first 2 seasons.

Would have been a lot rougher to watch without him

The truth is, without the flops we wouldn't have taken the turns in the road that we took and without those turns, we wouldn't have arrived at Steven Gerrard.

We could have landed lucky with a trophy on the journey that might have seen us take a different route, but it would probably have been one with an uncertain stop-start destination.

Instead, we landed a manager who has built solidly from the bottom up and imposed a philosophy and a regime that bodes well for the health of the football club going forward into the future.

Real valuable success usually comes with a lot of wrinkles.

Inspired by the.excellent "Players worth a special mention" thread yesterday, I thought I'd reverse that and ask who we think the biggest flops have been on the path back to the top? Players who looked like they could make a difference on paper but contributed the sum total of hee-haw? I generally don't like slagging off players too much but its just a bit of fun and you can't really escape the fact we've had some absolute numpties pulling on our famous jersey over the past decade.

I don't think it's fair to count some of the players at div 3 / early recovery stages level cos they were genuinely limited footballers who we had no choice but to give them a game. So no Faure, Agyriou etc for me... but you might think different.

Pena & Herrera - The obvious 2. Genius level thinking here - let's sign 2 random Mexicans for a combined 5 mil who've never played in Europe. One a big immobile striker who'd scored about 10 goals his entire career and the other with some talent but a raging alky. Couldn't make it up...

Joey Barton - Mouthed off a bit before arrival, underestimated the league, turned up unfit and lasted about 3 months before he fell out with a manager who was never going to be able to handle him anyways. Some of us suspected it might end bad...and it did.

Eros Grezda - The one significant blot on Gerrsards otherwise impeccable recruitment record. Stinking attitude and limited ability do not a Rangers player make.

Kris Boyd - tin hat on here cos obviously love Boydy the pundit these days and can't fault his first spell with us...but he was a shadow of the player he was (and went on to be again at Killie after us, bizarrely) during that season in the championship. Fair to say he wasn't in good shape, scored 3 league goals all season when a finisher of his natural ability should have been ripping it up in that league.

Any more for any more?
aMCgcY0.gif

I know we never paid anything for him but I remember watching Ross Perry floundering around in some 3rd division shithole and being absolutely aghast a player of this calibre was wearing the jersey, appalling player.

Simonsen
Bell

cribari
Argyriou
Perry
Martin
Faure
Foster
Moshni
Streete
Bigigirama
Mbabu
Senderos
Keirnan
Cardoso

Black
Barton
Ferguson
Dalcio
Forrester
Pena

Sandaza
Kyle
O halloran
Sadiq
Herrera

Probably missed several as well, quite a sobering though when you see where we are now. Little wonder we were shipping goals and not scoring many when you see the standard of player we had.

if you think that the players I haven’t listed who did a job for us, wouldn’t get near the squad now, it’s fair to say any of the above wouldn’t even get near the training ground.

FFS. Really???

As Bilko alludes to, lots of sliding doors moments contributed to getting us to where we are. Seems a pointless and negative exercise to be pointing out flops along the way tbh.

To play along a little bit, ultimately the defining moment for me was McInnes shitting the bed.

Splashing 500k on MOH was criminal from
Warburton.

MOH was signed on the strength of that one game against us in the League Cup tie at Ibrox where we allowed St J to use his pace to hit us on the break. Looking back on it, it was a waste of money.

Every single one played a part in this story. A butterfly effect.

Commented on a Tim's FB the other day who shared the video of SG slipping against Chelsea. All part of the story. If that hadn't happened Celtic may have got 10IAR. If the 5-0/1's didn't happen we might have gone in a different direction. If Pedro wasn't in a bush... etc etc. In the end we're the ones with the big silver thing when it mattered most.
I'd like this multiple times if I could, great take on it.

Simonsen
Bell

cribari
Argyriou
Perry
Martin
Faure
Foster
Moshni
Streete
Bigigirama
Mbabu
Senderos
Keirnan
Cardoso

Black
Barton
Ferguson
Dalcio
Forrester
Pena

Sandaza
Kyle
O halloran
Sadiq
Herrera

Probably missed several as well, quite a sobering though when you see where we are now. Little wonder we were shipping goals and not scoring many when you see the standard of player we had.

if you think that the players I haven’t listed who did a job for us, wouldn’t get near the squad now, it’s fair to say any of the above wouldn’t even get near the training ground.
Kiernan and Forrester are good shouts, I'd almost managed to erase them from my memory, so thanks.

Bit unfair on Cardoso, I thought he was decent, maybe just not suited to Scottish football/UFC.

Any more for any more?
You must be a joy to sit next to at games if you actually go.

Dalcio was a shocker.

Surely must have been decent enough to reach the level he did but in his brief time with us he looked like he'd never seen a ball in his life

After reading this thread it feels like I have awoke from a dreadful nightmare, that has lasted all those years, and then I remember the time and day we are in and the piece and calm is restored to my fevered brow, I along with the rest of our support went to Ibrox more in hope than anything else, but we are now top of the tree, we can breath a lot more easy.

I know we never paid anything for him but I remember watching Ross Perry floundering around in some 3rd division shithole and being absolutely aghast a player of this calibre was wearing the jersey, appalling player.
Is that you Jim? Thought you’d be happy having competition for worst in Rangers jersey.

The truth is, without the flops we wouldn't have taken the turns in the road that we took and without those turns, we wouldn't have arrived at Steven Gerrard.

We could have landed lucky with a trophy on the journey that might have seen us take a different route, but it would probably have been one with an uncertain stop-start destination.

Instead, we landed a manager who has built solidly from the bottom up and imposed a philosophy and a regime that bodes well for the health of the football club going forward into the future.

Real valuable success usually comes with a lot of wrinkles.
is the correct answer, I shudder to think where we would be if McInnes said Yes ....... the foundations SG has built at our club will stand for years

Garner was an odd signing because he didn't suit Warburton's style of play at all. We hardly crossed a ball.

Think he would probably have scored a few this season with Tav and Barisic whipping in the balls they do.
Maybe mate. Didn’t hate the guy just feel Hel go down as a flop.

Back