Biggest heel turn by an ex-player

Off the top of my head, for me, the only one who has actively went out their way to be antagonistic (it seems) has been Terry Butcher.

The whole Mark Hateley thing, if it happened the way it was made out (confronting McCoist/going behind his back to the players) is underhand but maybe with the right intentions? Who knows!

Weir..

Broadfoot wins this though... fucken stole a career even being at Rangers in the first place, he should wake up each day and thank his plug ugly reflection in the microwave he ever got near the place..

A pish average player utterly carried through a career at Rangers by players more talented, whenever he was given a decent level of responsibility in a formation that wasn't laid out to hide his failings he was exposed as the baws average player he is.

I wasn't a fan when he was here but forgave him as he at minimum gave his all - I wish I hadn't even afforded him that.

Rangers very own Nikki Bella, twat.

harsh on Nikki to be honest, at least you can look at her positively, Broadfoot is an ugly mutant

Some people expect ex-players to turn in to outspoken Loyalists or talk about Rangers constantly then they are a judas. Ironically the worst things said about our players, club, etc are on this very board.

Not defending the halfwits but are you attempting to draw parallels between a 'private' fans forum and a public platform?

BF rankles most with me (well a close run race with Conn)

Considering his geographical background, family ties & overall 'debt' to us for creating his career - how he can explain some of his ridiculous comments since leaving us is beyond me

I just hope his intelectual status is more at fault than a genuine negativity towards us - but it's hardly a good choice of options either way imo

Not defending the halfwits but are you attempting to draw parallels between a 'private' fans forum and a public platform?

I don't think we can complain about someone criticizing a player on Sportscene or in the paper (if its at least reasonable) when on here the players get some disgusting abuse.

Off the top of my head, for me, the only one who has actively went out their way to be antagonistic (it seems) has been Terry Butcher.

The whole Mark Hateley thing, if it happened the way it was made out (confronting McCoist/going behind his back to the players) is underhand but maybe with the right intentions? Who knows!

Butcher actively mocking us in the media with that jelly and ice cream pish, as well as doing interviews for tv programmes to tell everyone what bigoted sectarian cùnts we are.

He’s a back stabbing piece of excrement and i find it staggering that he’s still welcomed back at Ibrox.

I don't think we can complain about someone criticizing a player on Sportscene or in the paper (if its at least reasonable) when on here the players get some disgusting abuse.
I think we can complain and I think your comparison isn't valid. It's the old bad behaviour doesn't excuse bad behaviour thing. Both parties are arseholes.

I think we can complain and I think your comparison isn't valid. It's the old bad behaviour doesn't excuse bad behaviour thing. Both parties are arseholes.

I think it's perfectly valid. If people are expecting Thompson and others to support our players in public, why shouldn't we be doing the same on the forum or in the stands? It's not even just this forum, the abuse and comments on Rangers pages on Facebook are disgusting.

I think it's perfectly valid. If people are expecting Thompson and others to support our players in public, why shouldn't we be doing the same on the forum or in the stands? It's not even just this forum, the abuse and comments on Rangers pages on Facebook are disgusting.

'Thompson and others' simply have to respect the club responsible for setting them up and giving them the best time of their professional lives and not use it to line their pockets.
If you persist with the view that halfwits on a private forum can be compared to pundits who have played for the club on national TV we'll leave it there.

Butcher and Hateley are cut from the same cloth - Englishmen who don’t have west of Scotland football DNA - so there’s no longer lasting commitment to the club after their careers came to an end.

We probably should expect greater loyalty, but both have gone down the Yahoo governed rabbit hole of punditry where speaking ill of your former employers (so long as it’s Rangers) is very much part of the gig.

I’m more offended by guys like Billy Dodds who appear to have a genuine enmity towards us despite the fact we were the obvious highlight in an otherwise unremarkable career.

Thats very harsh on Hateley.

Listen to his H&H interview

Kris Boyd.

That fat roasters articles are an absolute disgrace.

It's also good to see Novo and McCann being given a sustained push for their positivity towards the fans.

Last edited:
Who would be our Cena/Reigns though? A baby face who the crowd aren’t really behind, despite him staying with us through thick and thin? Especially after our ‘attitude era’ peak of 3 in a row.

Lee Mculloch? Stayed with us after 2012 and assumed the role of face/captain of Rangers, despite not being liked by a portion of fans.

Mccoist? Also stayed after 2012, and was our poster boy through tough times. Also not appreciated by a portion of fans due to his managerial skills and penny share antics.

Whittaker had a pretty decent career with us then ended up pulling that stunt with Naismith and then took his prick of a son to the piggery in the full bheggars kit. Wanker.

Whittaker took his son or Naismith?

dont buy in to the criticism some of our ex players get for having an opinion and think some of the anger towards them is misdirected but there’s one guy that I just loook at in the same light anymore and would genuinely be angry if he was re-employed by the club and that’s Butcher.

His comments during the old firm game about him being a neutral made my mind up for me.

I'd say Butcher too. You would never believe he played for us never mind bring such a great captain.

I'm too young to have seen Alfie Conn turn heel but I can imagine the heat that got him.

Last edited:
These are all heroes to zeroes. What about Marco Negri - he looked like he didn’t want to be here at the time, now he’s all over the ex players events.

Exactly. People fall over themselves for people who couldn't be further away from legend status, yet proper legends are hounded for having an opinion or disagreeing with something going on at the club.

Who would you say had the biggest heel turn of all our ex-players? I’m not talking about jobbers like Broadfoot, I mean a genuine impactful one.

For me it’s got to be Terry Butcher. He was the ultimate face which is why it was such a kick in the baws. Club captain, a national hero and idiolised by millions around the world and the bastard threw it all away by selling his soul to become a corporate champion.
Negative pish..
leave this to the poets

He has been in and around the club since I'm sure. Perhaps just not entirely sure of the situation at the time and regrets it now looking back. I don't hold him in the same regard as Judas Butcher.

Regarding Ally, I love him but only when he's not talking about Rangers. Remember on BT they were asked when we were level on points with the scum if there was a chance we could do it and he stalled and stalled before Sutton said "of course they can". It was almost as if Ally was scared to say we were going well. Bad day when Sutton is willing to talk up the performance of the team/club before you.
Maybe McCoist just didn't think we could put enough wins together to challenge, he would have been 100 % correct of course.
We have some weirdly bitter fans that want to hate every ex player.
Callum McGregor seems a brand new wee guy tho.

Butcher and Hateley are cut from the same cloth - Englishmen who don’t have west of Scotland football DNA - so there’s no longer lasting commitment to the club after their careers came to an end.

We probably should expect greater loyalty, but both have gone down the Yahoo governed rabbit hole of punditry where speaking ill of your former employers (so long as it’s Rangers) is very much part of the gig.

I’m more offended by guys like Billy Dodds who appear to have a genuine enmity towards us despite the fact we were the obvious highlight in an otherwise unremarkable career.
Gordon Dalziel.
I’m offended that he wore our jersey.

This is all true, but it's never enough for a load of folk, sadly.
You can only call it the way you see it.
Some don’t have the experience you, or the other poster, have of the individual.
There’s plenty more like that.
Kris Boyd is a top example.

Butcher actively mocking us in the media with that jelly and ice cream pish, as well as doing interviews for tv programmes to tell everyone what bigoted sectarian cùnts we are.

He’s a back stabbing piece of excrement and i find it staggering that he’s still welcomed back at Ibrox.
This totally.
The man is a moron but that does not go close to justifying his behaviour towards us.

BF rankles most with me (well a close run race with Conn)

Considering his geographical background, family ties & overall 'debt' to us for creating his career - how he can explain some of his ridiculous comments since leaving us is beyond me

I just hope his intelectual status is more at fault than a genuine negativity towards us - but it's hardly a good choice of options either way imo
BF?
Barry Ferguson?
The worst?
I know its all about opinions but, this is truly ridiculous.

Maybe McCoist just didn't think we could put enough wins together to challenge, he would have been 100 % correct of course.
We have some weirdly bitter fans that want to hate every ex player.
Callum McGregor seems a brand new wee guy tho.

It was the way it came across. Like he needed permission to say anything positive about us. Just looked terrified.

BF?
Barry Ferguson?
The worst?
I know its all about opinions but, this is truly ridiculous.

The worst ? Did I say that ?

I know there are a lot worse out there - but he - for whatever reason - annoys me more - probably because he has less genuine reason to unfairly critiscise

For the most part his 'ridiculous' opinions are so random, unfounded & generally reflect his lack of understanding, respect or class - he really should know better

Just my opinion of course & like I say it's because he annoys me more- not simply due to his comments or turncoat activities alone

Back