Biggest Rangers Myths

Tbf to the young Bears singing about DJ scoring 2 in 72, it very much could be in this day and age there is no father, grandfather figure around to pass down first hand knowledge. We should make sure every young fan is welcomed and embraced, and told to check out YouTube for these historic games, they won't be long in learning!
Anyway...if not already mentioned I hate to be being referred to as Glasgow Rangers outside of Scotland as if it's our name

Last edited:
If McCoist had played our youths more often in the lower leagues, they would have developed into good players.

To be fair McCoist could have snapped up the best young players in the division and the likes of Barrie Mckay and Lewis Macleod if he had any nous (just using him as an example) and complimented the youth with experience.

Unfortunately he stuck doggedly by players like Ian Black and Kevin Kyle and the chance was lost.

God McCoist, great player but never a manager in a million years.

I remember in the second division he was more concerned about going the season unbeaten against part timers than blooding the youths

Myth:flo was a bad player
Truth: flo was a good striker with a good scoring record but his price ment he was always going to be labelled a flop.
This is one that I always disputed with bears. His strike rate was more than decent.
Often quoted as the worst signing in Scottish football history, it’s always overlooked that we got nearly £7m back for him.

Rafael Toley on the other hand...

You are 100% correct regarding this.

I've been having this arguement for as long as I care to remember - still waiting for photographic evidence which has always been promised but has never materialised. McIIroy is someone who should know better than continue to perpetuate the myth but he refuses to back down - but yet fails to provide proof :rolleyes:

An old acquaintance of mine once got into a discussion with Campbell Ogilvie over this. Ogilvie who also thought it said 'Aye Ready' then carried out his own fact-finding mission into it - he later admitted that he hadn't found one shred of evidence pertaining to it ever saying 'Aye Ready'.

This article appeared on the old FF by @Farley1968

http://www.rangers-mad.co.uk/sngl/ed23/Ibrox-stadium-section/

Unfortunately the linked pictures are no longer available but the pic accompanying the above quote was this:

IMG-20190628-000310.jpg

Tried enlarging it but no joy but any similar pic and it's clearly just 'Ready'.

Still waiting...

Thanks mate.

I've researched this quite extensively at the Mitchell Library. I've also discussed it with Club Historian, David Mason, who was happy to confirm that these three plaques have only ever said " READY "

But the " Aye Ready " fanboys simply refuse to accept the truth. Lol!

This is one that I always disputed with bears. His strike rate was more than decent.
Often quoted as the worst signing in Scottish football history, it’s always overlooked that we got nearly £7m back for him.

Rafael Toley on the other hand...
He was meant to take us to the next level in Europe, that part isn't a myth and an unfortunate burden to remember his time because as you say his goals to game ratio was excellent

Not read the entire 4 pages but walter announcing his departure cost us 10IAR.

If anything, walter saw the nick of the squad and thought this lot need a rocket up there arse and if I announce my departure it will get them over the line.

He was meant to take us to the next level in Europe, that part isn't a myth and an unfortunate burden to remember his time because as you say his goals to game ratio was excellent

He was by no means a great signing, but nowhere near our worst.

If (and I can't remember) he was touted as taking us to the next level in Europe then that is down to the foolishness of the folk who predicted it and the efforts of an entire team.

As you say, an unfair burden to pin on anyone.

Cant be many strikers in our history who have scored more than 38 goals in there first 72 games.... Would be a handful at most I would imagine?

Kris Boyd did. He cost £500k from Killie rather than £12.5m from Chelsea. Billy Dodds also had a similar record.

Flo was a ridiculous signing, reckless even. God only knows how much we dropped on wages.

Cant be many strikers in our history who have scored more than 38 goals in there first 72 games.... Would be a handful at most I would imagine?
Kris Boyd did. He cost £500k from Killie rather than £12.5m from Chelsea. Billy Dodds also had a similar record.

Flo was a ridiculous signing. God only knows how much we dropped on wages.

Think Jim Forrest scored something like 145 goals in 153 games for us, including 57 in his first season as a 20 year old.

Not a penalty amongst them.

Makes the fact he got chased from the club after the Berwick game, as a 22 year old, even more ridiculous.

Flo was a ridiculous signing, reckless even. God only knows how much we dropped on wages.
I'm not saying there isn't ant mate. Negri, maybe even Jelavic.

Flo was top notch. His transfer fee burdened him but that was the start of the transfer merry go round. We have had worse signings than Flo that's my point bud

I'm not saying there isn't ant mate. Negri, maybe even Jelavic.

Flo was top notch. His transfer fee burdened him but that was the start of the transfer merry go round. We have had worse signings than Flo that's my point bud

He was a good player and the fee wasn’t his fault. His signing was just a Murray ego trip which was never going to work.

we sing a song with the words "i want to kill a 19th Century Terrorist before i die"
well, according to some stupid cow who phoned up clyde a few years ago, and went unchallenged.

Reactions: VGM

So we're now creating myths?
40 in 72 for Flo
21 in 65 for Dodds.
Not really similar.

My first game I attended was a month before the Cup Winners Cup final. I've honestly never heard anyone say DJ scored twice, instead of WJ.

That our crowds were shite when we were erm, shite.

Everyone elses crowds were low at the time and we were the best supported club in some of those years.

As for the Aye Ready thing, what has been seen cannot be unseen. It did say it and was even repainted when we eventually won the league in 87. I thought because of the font the second date was 1987 but it was actually 1981, the year of the rebuild completion.

Candeias covers Tav well....DC gives us 100% every game-he is defensively and positionally a mini-disaster.

Back