Biggest Rangers Myths

That Tore Andre Flo was a disaster of a signing all round.

38 goals in 61 appearances, scored v them on his debut, scored in the league cup final.

Sold for £7m, which wasn't a terrible return givin how much we overpaid on him. Compare with say, Michael Ball who we paid over £6m for and made about the same appearances over twice the seasons.

I’ve been away for over twenty years, can someone explained just what is the Baku?
Baku is where the final of the Europa Cup was held, the season we were doing well in the competition. We had a song “we’re on our way to Baku”.

I know this is 3 years old, but surely to %^*& nobody has ever thought it was DJ that scored in Barca? That’s just insane.

I was able to recite the team and scorers by the age of 8 through reading what felt like 100 books on our club :))

Asked one my mates to name the 11 one day and he could get about 4 of them, genuinely found it bizarre.

That’s nothing, I used to stand up during story time in nursery and give them a full rendition of Englishman’s Betrayal

I’ve been away for over twenty years, can someone explained just what is the Baku?
Ffs you're replying to a post from June 2019 here mate!

Baku is a city in Azerbaijan. The Europa League final was held there in 2019 and Rangers fans had a song in season 18/19 that stated we were 'on our way to The Baku', mainly sung on Euro nights / away trips etc.

The myth perpetrated by the east end hovel dwellers that Struth threw Wilton off the boat in Gourock in order to become the new Rangers manager. Seriously sad and stupid people
First I've heard that one.

What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

Must say, I never knew Jim Denny was on the bench! Did the full squad get a medal, or only the 11 and the manager?
Jim Denny lived in the high flats in Glenburn in the 70s and we practically stalked him to get him to sign our cudgers.
The high flats were proper posh in those days as us scheme kids weren't allowed to play on their swingpark

The idea perpetrated mostly by yahoos that we were played off the park in an uber-defensive display v Zenit in our UEFA Cup final while they dominated Porto in theirs and only lost because they were "pure cheated n at".

We had the same number of shots on target (3) in 90 mins as they did in 120.
We both had 44% possession (although, again, with them playing 120 mins to our 90).
They committed 24 fouls to our 12.

Granted it doesn't matter as we both ultimately lost but try telling that to supporters of 2003's UEFA Cup vice-winners.

Last edited:
Rangers sat back in defence and let Celtic do all the attacking in old firm games and would catch them with a sicker punch.

Lost count of the amount of times I'd hear this when they referred to Smith's first stint in charge. Occasionally it did happen. Other times though we played them off the park.

Rangers sat back in defence and let Celtic do all the attacking in old firm games and would catch them with a sicker punch.

Lost count of the amount of times I'd hear this when they referred to Smith's first stint in charge. Occasionally it did happen. Other times though we played them off the park.
It seemed more of a tactic as we got towards the 9IAR.
It also just seemed to happen that even in games that were fairly even, we would score against them on the counter.
Just off the top of my head in the 8 and 9 seasons, 2 x Gascoigne, 2 x Laudrup (Scottish semi as well) Erik Bo Andersen 3rd in the 3-1. There may have been more.

Scary the amount of bears i met who think Mcdonalds second goal won us helicopter sunday, iirc, we were going to win the league if the filth drew
Correct but when he scored the second that was when I knew we had won it. mentally challengeds could have nicked it otherwise and that is unimaginable now

Baku is a city in Azerbaijan. The Europa League final was held there in 2019 and Rangers fans had a song in season 18/19 that stated we were 'on our way to The Baku', mainly sung on Euro nights / away trips etc.
I know, I only realised after I asked the question lol

Thanks for the reply anyhow mate

That’s nothing, I used to stand up during story time in nursery and give them a full rendition of Englishman’s Betrayal
Ma old man used to teach my Rangers/Loyalist songs instead of nursery rhymes or bedtime stories.

Knew the words ro Dolly's Brae by the age of 10!

Rangers did retire it in 2012. It was well publicised.

Clearly we then had players have the number but it's hardly a myth. Do you know what a myth is?

Also I just realised that I replied to a post from 3 years ago, perhaps none of us have the same intensity of feeling around this now. :D
I’m perfectly aware what a myth is mate and it’s a myth the sp!vs retired the No.12 jersey.

And the reason it’s a myth is because it was retired when we were in administration BEFORE Green,Ahmad and their band of Spivs took control.;)

Why is it wrong?
Rangers fans are found all over the world. That's a fact.
Posters seem to think there are millions upon millions and it is not true.

I can name a few instances of very small attendances at matches in the US.

There was around 5,000 for the LA Galaxy for example.

TV sells and as we are not part of the EPL, we are virtually unheard of in this market.

If it had been Real or MU playing the Galaxy, they would have had to move it to the Rose Bowl and sold 75,000 tickets easily.

Could have been mate, he was supposedly the next big thing from Brazil, will need to Google and find out what went wrong with his career after failing to join the famous

I don’t think anything went wrong with his career. I’m sure he went on to be quite successful with Porto.

Back