Biggest soaking you've had at the football?

In the those dim and distant days when I followed Scotland, Scotland v France at Hampden in 1989. The north stand had been demolished by then and we were in the uncovered terracing where it had been, totally exposed to the torrential rain for the whole game and ended up completely soaked through to the skin. Swore that I’d only ever go back to Hampden in summer months.

Ally McCoist and Mo Johnston were combining brilliantly up front for Scotland and I remember saying to my mate that I would love see them playing together for Rangers but it will never happen. Shows you what I know.

Scotland won 2 nil.

88-89 season. 1-1 against St.Boo at the old Love St on the open terrace. Andy Gray scored an equaliser if memory serves.
Love Street late 80s or early 90s. Was very young so don't really remember it. Just mind me and my dad sitting in thr car before it hoping it got called off.

Anyone know what game this would have been?

That's the one

Open terrace, people quoting games they watched under a roof ffs ;)

In the those dim and distant days when I followed Scotland, Scotland v France at Hampden in 1989. The north stand had been demolished by then and we were in the uncovered terracing where it had been, totally exposed to the torrential rain for the whole game and ended up completely soaked through to the skin. Swore that I’d only ever go back to Hampden in summer months.

Ally McCoist and Mo Johnston were combining brilliantly up front for Scotland and I remember saying to my mate that I would love see them playing together for Rangers but it will never happen. Shows you what I know.

Scotland won 2 nil.
I was about to post similar, couldn't remember if it was this one or the Norway one. It was that bad the dye of my jacket had soaked through my jacket through my clothes and on to my shoulders, thought it was hypothermia at first when I saw I had blue skin:))

The Scottish Cup quarter final in 1970 v the mentally challengeds. It rained hard all day and the piggery pitch was the worst I've ever seen even for that era. There are a few pictures of the game on the photo thread.

Definitely the cup replay against the sheep last season. Not only was it pishing down but it was blowing a gale aswell and soaking everyone in the stands. At least yesterday it was fairly calm and I only got soaked walking back to the bus.

Dundee United away, abandoned at half time / rearranged fixture shambles. Sitting in the lower section of the main stand.

Utterly soaked!!

Block p at the sheep pen, think prso and Ferguson scored in a 3-1 win? Went to toilet at half time and took my jacket off, didn’t bother putting it back on as I wasn’t getting any wetter without it

Rugby Park, a few years back, Nicky Clark scored a last minute winner in the cup. Sitting in row A behind the goal. Absolutely drowned

Was there. Our bus got stranded in the flood water. Got up the road because one of my mates took his car as he was working and missed the bus .Scarey journey back up the old A77 aquaplaning everywhere.

As you say, the A77 was wild coming back up the road. When we got home to Kirky all sorts of roads were closed as well. Police messages went out to say you shouldnt drive in that weather. Think it was the same day as a couple of lads from nearby where I stayed died as a bridge gave way.

2nd to this was Killie not that long ago, soaked to the skin - my mate had to get a new phone as well as it was damaged with the water.

Mine was at Fir Park around 25 years ago what made it worse was I had persuaded my now wife to go to her first ever game, it absolutely pissed down, we were soaked to the skin and when she tried to put up her umbrella we got into an argument with fellow bears, she gave it back and I had to stand up for her even if I did agree with them, so stood there soaked, listening to her moaning and thinking I'd get a lathering after the game. On the bright side we won. And she's never came to another game with me since.

Boxing Day 1998 at home against St Johnstone the wind got worse as the game went on advertising boards all over the pitch then home to a massive storm and power cuts .

Was that the one McCoist slid into Theo Shnelders and smacked the keepers jaw.
Aberdeen 0 Rangers 0 played on a swimming pool during torrential rain and I wasn't under cover.

I got soaked walking to and from the game yesterday but it was nothing in comparison to the game above. I can't remember the year but I am sure there will be someone out there that can enlighten me.

mentally challengeds - league cup semi at hampden - Super Ally scored the winner 1992 was a rainy night

Got drenched at The old Tynecastle several times in the 90’s and their arsehole stewards telling is to sit down in the plastic bowl seats full water ,
1992 Scottish cup semi final and Livorno away

Misread the title and expected to hear tales of European Tour Hookers, the Reeperbahn and Amsterdams red light district!

A game at Kilmarnock years ago, I was behind the goals no cover and it pissed down all game.

I was like a drowned rat and when we got back to the bus it was submerged in about 3 foot of water.

Against them at Ibrox. May 2009.

Parked the car at Mosspark Boulevard and walked in the pissing rain. Got to the ground just as teams were coming out and absolutely soaking. Must have missed the first 5-10 minutes attempting to dry myself off in the club deck toilets.

Steven Davis slid home to score the winner. Totally worth it.

Walter's first game back after PLG, January 2007 v Dundee Utd.

I was in my old seat in the Govan Front and the heavens just opened. Was wearing a wee flimsy jacket with a t-shirt and jumper under it, and all 3 layers were fucking soaking.

Was the back row of the club deck that day and I’ve never been so relieved. Sure Charlie Adam scores from near the half way line.

Livorno, I’ve never saw such a quick change over of selling Oakleys to umbrellas.

I was in the front row of the Copland the day we drew 4-4 with them (1986). It was torrential anyway but there was a constant stream being blown from the Govan roof right onto my mate and I for the full 90 minutes.

Yesterday was wild pre and post match, although I'm lucky enough I now sit in the club deck so avoided it on the most part during the game. Worst of it was some dick going through a massive puddle at the motorway junctions next to Pollock park at speed on purpose.

I remember El hadji dioufs first game (where he got done by Ian Black) midweek 2011 season and it was a complete wash out. Was sitting in the enclosure and the stewards were allowing anyone who was daft enough to still be there after 70mins to stand against the back wall to shelter!

The walk down PRW after Hearts in May 2017 was fucking horrendous.

Aberdeen 0 Rangers 0 played on a swimming pool during torrential rain and I wasn't under cover.

I got soaked walking to and from the game yesterday but it was nothing in comparison to the game above. I can't remember the year but I am sure there will be someone out there that can enlighten me.
This is the game that sticks with me, 4 of us in a car driving back from Aberdeen with nothing but our soaking boxers on, wasn’t fun either putting our soaking gear back either when we were dropped off

Midweek game at the old tynecastle absolutely pissed it down no cover on terraces my bovril turned into water in about 20 secs, the marseille 2.2 CL game or the 4.4 rangers v celtic at Ibrox i was drenched
I was at that game at Tynecastle if was indeed early 90s?
Whole bus went home sitting in their boxers:p

That's the one

Open terrace, people quoting games they watched under a roof ffs ;)
When your front row with a wind blowing the rain in then the roof matters not a jot!

I got utterly drenched against Dundee Utd in Walters 2nd stint in the Govan front. I remember thinking I didn’t think I could possibly get any wetter!

The Aberdeen game that got postponed 5 minutes before kickoff ,,I had left the district bar, 240 with the game definitely on,only to get to the turnstiles as the game got cancelled,,pissed off and soaked at the same time

Was about 10,000 in the ground already including near 1,000 Sheep which we had a good laugh about. I was so wet a woman across from me on the train back to Edinburgh asked what happened to me - I think she thought I'd been fished out of the Clyde.

Same game for me. That Was the game Super Ally Aqua Planed for about 20 yards and skidded right into Sneldors, and broke the keepers cheek.

I was at the game with my teenage son, and we were meeting my wife and daughter to go for a meal before driving back to Glasgow. We were so drenched, we went to Debenhams and bought new outfits, never been so wet before, during and after a game.

Aberdeen in the cup last year - the replay at Ibrox. Maybe felt worse given the result

Mid 70,s at Ibrox, friendly against West Brom( ?) In the away end uncovered terracing and the heavens opened. Announced that gate was opened for free admission to Centenary stand for shelter. Myself and mates decided to stay on terrace. We were by ourselves and the rest of ground gave us fabulous rendition of "spot the loonies" Alcohol doesn't keep you dry!

Back