Biggest soaking you've had at the football?

Often in the fifties / sixties when other than the main stand there was no
cover at the grounds. We had the shed
right enough but you couldn’t get ‘70000 ‘ into it.

1976 cup final v Hearts was a wet one as was a Glasgow cup final v the scum at Hampden mid 70s.

Last edited:
Same, river burst it’s banks was in the uncovered end and was that bad that UW ent out at half time and got another ticket somehow and went in the covered end

Forgot about that.

Last ever game on the Terraces there before became all seater.

The League Cup Final v Hearts in 1996 at the Chamber of Secrets. The one where Gazza has a ‘wee snifter’ at half time.
I was sitting a couple of rows from the front and ended up like a drookit dug. It didn’t stop my celebrations in the ground after the match or in the boozer that night. Good times.

There's loads of candidates. These are all just in a 5 year period.

Hearts at Tynecastle in a game Hateley scored a late winner in 1991.
Killie at Rugby Park in 1994.
Paisley in the early 90s, I think Scott Nisbet might have scored.
Dens Park in 1989 or 90 in a 2-2 draw. Davie Dodds played for us.
The 92 Cup semi at Hampden when we beat the vermin with 10 men.

The 4-4 draw with the mentally challengeds at Ibrox, absolutely drookit in the front of the East Enclosure.

Ones that come to mind for me

Hearts away 93? midweek drew 2-2
Celtic semi-final 92
Aberdeen away in 2005 after the game going back to get the bus the heavens opened

Probably a few others but can't them

This is the one that sprang to mind for me. Absolutely drenched.

Me too.

I was seated on an old school gym bench at the side of the pitch. Hearts gave you a clear polythene sheet with a neck-hole in it. That ripped when you unwrapped it.

Has anyone mentioned the 0-0 CL group stage game v galatasaray? Round about 99/00?

Bloody torrential that night i got drenched!

Ones that come to mind for me

Hearts away 93? midweek drew 2-2
Celtic semi-final 92
Aberdeen away in 2005 after the game going back to get the bus the heavens opened

Probably a few others but can't them

Hearts game stands our for me, if I remember correctly we were 2 nil up at half time and thought we might be soaked but at least we’re winning, didn’t end well though!

Hibernian v Rangers, 27th December 1982. Pissed down, it was freezing too, and it was the kind of game you knew was going to end 0-0 after about 10 minutes. Should have stayed home eating Christmas dinner leftovers and watching Bond in the warm. Most of the bus stayed in the pub.

Hearts game stands our for me, if I remember correctly we were 2 nil up at half time and thought we might be soaked but at least we’re winning, didn’t end well though!

I think so, remember leaving after 70 mins and by the time we got back to Haymarket it was 2-2

For me it’s easily the “Davie Robertson” game at Hampden, it was horrendous that night. No one cared though because we put those scumbags to the sword.
I also remember a home game against Hearts (I think) when the floodlights failed for a portion of the game. It was absolutely freezing and pissing down, it was grim. Think I was actually praying for the game to be called off.

The Scottish Cup Semi Final win in the North Enclosure when Davie Robertson was sent off by Andrew Waddell and Ally scored the winner was a bit “damp”. I remember the draw at Pittodrie when it was touch and go whether the game would start. A game at Tannadice (a draw? with Maurice Johnston scoring for us) when standing on the terracing at the allotments end was also somewhat grim.

A midweek Scotland v Denmark friendly years ago at Hampden Stadium. Was a friggin nightmare as we ended up walking most of the way home as the trains were / are utter shite.

Hampden against the Scum 92 we won 1-0 Davie Roberstson sent off was in the uncovered terracing that night.

North Stand drenched loyal, worth every drop of rain. McCoist just before half time. Great result.

mind the piggery 1982 lost 3-2 pritz and cooper scored, was droont when i got in, and thats just going home, we were under cover.

St johnstone in Scottish Cup 2000, me & my son were soaked running up to ground from car and all through the match, what a great 10th birthday present for him

Hearts away in the 90's on a Saturday afternoon. Rain, snow, sleet and only a Tesco carrier bag as a hat for protection.

4-4 v Celtic was a wet one as well.

Kilmarnock 1994 and it'll never be matched.

The river burst close to Rugby Park burst it banks iiirc.
A rainy saturday at Tynecastle in the early 90’s runs a close second, Super Ally got the winner that day

I was at that game.

We left at half time to go to the pub as you could barely see the the goal at our end nevermind the rest of the park.

Came out the pub and there was about 8 inches of water in the streets.

Hampden against the Scum 92 we won 1-0 Davie Roberstson sent off was in the uncovered terracing that night.

I was in the Main Stand, but sat where the roof ended. Soaked through, but a great night. Me and old man jumped about in joy when Ally scored, and kept looking at our watches as it was a long way still to go to full time.

Tynecastle around mid 1980’s. Incessant heavy sleet all day long, standing freezing and soaked on that open terracing and drenched all the way back to the Glasgow train at Haymarket.

Somerset park few seasons ago in Scottish cup I think it was. On the terrace and the snow/sleet was non stop just before half-time until into 2nd half. We were all absolutely soaked to the arse and freezing.

Ross Co away in 2001ish

Amo got sent off in the last min and Klos saved the penalty for us to win 2-1.

Both times at Easter Road. In the 70s On the big terracing facing the stand. No cover and pushing down like yesterday we won 2-1 the first time. 2nd time was a boxing day same location only it was rain hail sleet n snow and it was freezing. Nil nil draw and one of the few games I've left early

Aberdeen 0 Rangers 0 played on a swimming pool during torrential rain and I wasn't under cover.

I got soaked walking to and from the game yesterday but it was nothing in comparison to the game above. I can't remember the year but I am sure there will be someone out there that can enlighten me.
Did McCoist injure snelders that day when sliding in?
1990 maybe

Rous Cup, Scotland v England, 1-0 (Richard Gough )

It started raining as I left the house, bucketed the rest of the day and I could only get a ticket for the uncovered end.
I had to walk into town to get a bus home . Remember my squelching socks had the dye off my trainers.

As in travelling it would be Osasuna at Ibrox 1-0 Craig Paterson. Even the subway got shut due to flooding. Actually during the game it’ll be having a North Enclosure ticket for Ally’s semi-final v the Humphers when we survived Andrew Waddell as ref and biblical style rain !! :)):))
That semi final... agreed

Osasuna in 1985 at Ibrox in the UEFA Cup was the biggest soaking. If it had been a league game there's no way it would have gone ahead:

The worst I've ever felt though was a game v Dundee Utd in 1989. The rain turned to sleet and it was blowing a gale. On the bus back home I couldn't stop shaking and no matter how high the heating was I couldn't warm up. Ended up with a heavy cold and a few days off work lol.

I was at that United game , biggest soaking I ever got :(

Back