Biggest soaking you've had at the football?

Osasuna in 1985 at Ibrox in the UEFA Cup was the biggest soaking. If it had been a league game there's no way it would have gone ahead:

The worst I've ever felt though was a game v Dundee Utd in 1989. The rain turned to sleet and it was blowing a gale. On the bus back home I couldn't stop shaking and no matter how high the heating was I couldn't warm up. Ended up with a heavy cold and a few days off work lol.

this for me.
My young bro and me went on Clarkston Loyal.
Folk sat in their boxers trying to dry their jeans on way home. It pissed down at the game with absolutely no cover for whole match. You just stood behind the goal and got drenched. Seriously drenched. And cold. Really cold.
The Kiliie game mentioned at least offered some cover during game.
The softies of today just would not stand for what we oldies suffered to see the Teddies back then.

p.s. saw a Stuart Munro goal though so not all bad. I am sure he also was treated for hypothermia after game.

Reactions: ao2
Hard to imagine anything worse than Osasuna at Ibrox in the UEFA Cup. The River Clyde was flowing off the roof of the stands on the way in, and straight down my neck...and it didn’t get better. Then again if you were at the Scotland v Peru game in 1979 (I think), you know better, especially if you were stupid enough to stand in the Tim end like me. Monsoon as you walked to the game, during the game, and after the game too. Soaked through, all the way through. Unbelievable, and all for a 1-1 draw!

Scottish Cup semi final, March 1992, Davie Robertson sent off after six minutes for breaking Joe Miller's ribs, Ally scores just before half time and a backs to the wall display gives us the win, what a night!

My jacket finally dried out last year!
That's the one for me. Absolutely soaked.....but delighted at the end.

Away to Elgin a few days before Christmas a few years ago now.
Was that the one it snowed as well

Yes that's the one, probably the second coldest I've been at a game after Elgin away a couple of days before Christmas a few year ago.

Love St. Saturday afternoon around 84, Aberdeen at Ibrox when ally flew into snelders and injured him, and Walters first game back v Dundee utd,

Been a few over the years
QOTS away cup game mid 70's - went to extra time as well
Ossosuna in 85
Sheep up here in early 90's
Walters last game midweek v DAB's

I sit in first row in the Govan and was expecting to be soaked on sun, but stayed totally dry.

The worst was Dundee Utd away

Osasuna,,,then had to walk home to Thornliebank,,,,,,,
I also remember a match at tannidice,,,Mark Walters scored a screamer,,,,,behind the goal no shelter,,,,,,year escapes me,,,,but pretty sure there was a strike that season so no games on television that season,,,,Haven't seen it since,,,,,maybe 1990,,,,

Alot of bears plumping for this. Me and my mate went straight from work. Unfortunately my car broke down on Barrhead Rd and my mate and a passing policeman had to push my car to get it started. To say both were soaked would be an understatement as the rain that night was of biblical proportions.

Fair to say the only reason the game started was because it was a European game.

This
Kilmarnock was flooded, had to wade back to the bus and it was thigh high

Ha! I remember that now. Was about to say Dundee Utd one December in the late 80's/early 90's rain, sleet, the whole shebang, then we couldn't find the bus and had to make our own way home.

Edit: Just noticed a few saying the same and that somebody has posted the match highlights. I remember another one at Tynecastle around the same time. The pissers on the terracing were a couple of steps down into some brick built thing but it was flooded to the top step. People were just standing on the top step taking a piss.

Last edited:
Frank De Boer’s debut at Firhill was ridiculous with the rain. Probably worse than Sunday.

Ha! I remember that now. Was about to say Dundee Utd one December in the late 80's/early 90's rain, sleet, the whole shebang, then we couldn't find the bus and had to make our own way home.

Edit: Just noticed a few saying the same and that somebody has posted the match highlights. I remember another one at Tynecastle around the same time. The pissers on the terracing were a couple of steps down into some brick built thing but it was flooded to the top step. People were just standing on the top step taking a piss.

Pittodrie in the mid 90's, the game where Ally slid in and clattered Snelders.
I was wearing an offshore slicker suit, people kept mistaking me for a steward!

Its a nightmare when its lashing down and you have miles to walk to the ground, from where your Supporters Bus parks. Not good for Young Bones, having then to watch the match soaked to the skin, never mind the Older Bonesl like mines and many.

3 Matches spring to mind here:

Scotland 1 v England 0
Rous Cup
Hampden, 1985.
I was in the old North Stand terracing (uncovered) with my best pal. I was wearing a tshirt and the heavens opened up. It was funny for a bit but ended up leaving at half time. Missed Gough's goal and the NF trouble. Funny thing I did see was an arsehole trying to set fire to a Union Flag with a lighter in the pishing rain. He looked like a glue sniffing Tim.

Rangers 3 v Feyenoord 3
KLM Cup friendly
Ibrox, 1984.
I can still remember looking at the horizontal rain against the old Mainstand floodlights. This was the match Ruud Gullit got an introduction to our own Super Cooper. He was interviewed later and said "Why have never heard of this guy before?"

I might be mistaken (was only 13 and a good while ago) about this one but convinced this was a washout too...

Rangers 10 v Valetta 0
ECWC 1st Round
Ibrox, 1983

Accrington vs Sunderland last season (game got abandoned in the 75th minute) or Lithuania vs England in 2017

Hearts away in the second leg of a league cup semi final , pissed down from start to finish the guys car we drove over in was like a stinky sauna on the way back to Hurlford.

Tying two threads together, Bertie Auld's biggest soaking was at a supporters function. Luckily it was only his trousers.

When Ibrox was being re-developed and the Copland was a building site. We were playing in Europe against Juventus and we won 2-1. I was in the Broomloan with many bears and I remembers the rain was constant and was soaked to the skin, but I was one happy young Bear, as we were through to next round.

Back