Biggest teams marooned in lower leagues

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Sunderland
Kaiserslautern (now Bundesliga 3 incredibly)
1860 Munich
CSA Steaua București- the original one, now marooned in Romanian League 3
F.C. Pro Vercelli 1892 - 7 times Italian champions now in Serie C

Any others?

Nottingham Forest
Hearts or Dundee United (relatively big in a wee country!)
Hamburg
Sheffield Wednesday
Leeds, but that might change very soon

FC Nurnberg

The second most successful club in German football and just avoided dropping to the 3rd tier via a 3-3 away goals win in the play-off.

Last edited:
Birmingham City - in complete free fall since the season restarted and with a proper relegation battle on yet again even though they should have been perfectly safe. No manager again and a criminal board, could easily go down to league one.

Reactions: jtc
Leeds, Blackburn and Sunderland are 3 big ones in England. Quite a few in their lower leagues who not too long ago we're doing well in the premiership. Portsmouth and Bolton for example although a wouldn't say they're big big clubs.

Quite an interesting article on Kaiserslautern here...

Had a Kaiserslautern top when I was about 15. Think everyone had that same top tho lol got it from the wee guy in Clydebank shopping mall. Always seemed like everyone ma age shopped in there.

Had a Kaiserslautern top when I was about 15. Think everyone had that same top tho lol got it from the wee guy in Clydebank shopping mall. Always seemed like everyone ma age shopped in there.
I got it from there as well, my mate had the red one and I had the black lol

Dynamo Dresden are a big club but haven't really done it in a unified Germany. I was in the away end when they beat RB Leipzig in the cup, was pwopah nawtee.
Dynamo Berlin were the Stasi club and won upteen in a row, they are in the amateur leagues now, as are Lokomotive Leipzig, who lost the Liga 3 playoff this year.
1FC Magdeburg won the ECWC and are also in Liga 3.

In England - Leeds, Forest and Wednesday. Derby and Ipswich potentially too.

In Spain Real Zaragoza, Deportivo, Malaga, In France Auxerre. In Germany Hamburg and 1860 (in the 3rd division!!).

Leeds, Blackburn and Sunderland are 3 big ones in England. Quite a few in their lower leagues who not too long ago we're doing well in the premiership. Portsmouth and Bolton for example although a wouldn't say they're big big clubs.
Wouldnt say Blackburn are a big club as such. I get what you mean though, they have won the premier league after all, but really before and after that they havent been a big club

Wouldnt say Blackburn are a big club as such. I get what you mean though, they have won the premier league after all, but really before and after that they havent been a big club
Yeah that's what a was thinking about

The Artmedia Bratislava story is fascinating. I’ll always hold them in high regard after pumping Celtic 5-0.

“The club has since returned to the second tier of Slovakian football, but the road is long.
17 name changes, multiple stadiums, different leagues, promotions, championships, relegations and lord knows what else, the only thing that has stayed the same is the black and white stripes. Their historical stadium was flattened to make room for a Hilton Hotel, and the club now plies its trade at a ‘stadium’ that holds 1,500 people and has fewer facilities than Welshpool Town“

Can probably add Aston Villa to that list next season as well.

I had this one as well. A stunning top.
One of my all time favourites outside of Rangers
s-l400.jpg

The Artmedia Bratislava story is fascinating. I’ll always hold them in high regard after pumping Celtic 5-0.

“The club has since returned to the second tier of Slovakian football, but the road is long.
17 name changes, multiple stadiums, different leagues, promotions, championships, relegations and lord knows what else, the only thing that has stayed the same is the black and white stripes. Their historical stadium was flattened to make room for a Hilton Hotel, and the club now plies its trade at a ‘stadium’ that holds 1,500 people and has fewer facilities than Welshpool Town“

they were alwys the third club in Bratislava (after Slovan and Inter), which is not a particulalry football mad city.

FC Magdeburg won the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup in the 73/74 season - the only East German team to win a European trophy.

Currently in 3.Liga.

Kaiserslautern are on my list of teams to see as it's a short train journey from Mannheim.

Drove right past their stadium on the way to Horwich today, which is still very impressive and surely deserves hosting better games than against the likes of Morecambe and Grimsby. Funny to think this is once where Ivan Campo, Jay Jay Okocha, Nicolas Anelka and Stelios once plied their trade.

Fernando Hierro as well

Back