Bill McMurdo on Mojo signing

My memory ain’t what it used to be but I’m sure I remember us singing “ we’ve got Ally f’uck your Mo to there “ super Mo” chants
at Hampden.

It was a signing that no one saw coming

I remember it very well. I had supported Rangers fo 22 years. I F*cking despised him. Ally was a far better striker. When he signed I vowed never to go back. As did many. When he scored against them all was forgiven. I was a stupid lad. Glad to say now I do not care what you are. What colour you are. What sexuality you are and what religion you are. As long as you are not a Pape.

Told this story on here before but the only person I know that stopped going due to this was my next door neighbour and even at that he still renewed his ST, he just chose not to go whilst Mo was with us. Went back immediately after he left and still goes to this day.

I know some folk will think that's quite sad but, what he's always said to me is that it had bugger all to do with his religion rather him being a Celtic fan and ex-Scum player, who quite openly hated us. Also cites the Stuart Munro incident. When you consider we've had rakes of catholic players, including a club captain it's quite obvious thats the reason Mo's signing upset quite a few rather than what particular brand of sky fairy someone believes in.

In any case, there is a reason Mo cant walk the streets of Glasgow and it's got %^*& all to do with Rangers fans. Funny that's never reported eh.

You must have your dates mixed up it was 2
Months after
The mists of time must have been playing funny buggers with my memory. I could've sworn it was closer to 2 weeks, not 2 months! Anyway, the point remains, I left Scotland believing that Johnstone was/had signed for the beggars to be told different once in Spain.

Sorry mate, he was paraded in the week leading up to the Scottish Cup Final in May, he signed for us in JULY.
The mists of time must have been playing funny buggers with my memory. I could've sworn it was closer to 2 weeks, not 2 months! Anyway, the point remains, I left Scotland believing that Johnstone was/had signed for the beggars to be told different once in Spain.

We signed him for £1.5m when he was in the prime of his career, done a great job for us and we sold him for what we paid for him to Everton. I feel that he never gets the credit he deserves for having the balls to do what he had done in signing for us.

After the move to the peados paradise fell through he could have just opted to stay on the continent or go to England.

When the last minute winner went in against the mentally challengeds is still 1 of my favourite moments ever the seethe oh my amazing

Got well paid for signing. Most Rangers fans were against it at the time. Wasn’t so much about the Catholic bit. More to do with the hatred to him ,like me remember him spitting on Stuart Munro in the final when he got sent off .
I wasn’t happy but my team comes first and to be fair he gave 100% for us.
Still don’t like him as a person he’s have met him in Australia.
He still looks for there result first his words. After the treatment he got from that lot hard to believe.

I was 8 when he signed, everyone was talking about it. Main story on the news (UK, not just local news) and folk who had no interest in football discussing it.

My dad’s reaction wasn’t why have we signed a catholic, it was why have we signed THAT catholic. He hated Johnston, who had made it clear he hated Rangers. I was too young to remember him playing for Celtic and liked him as a Rangers player.

The number of season tickets sold went up that year. Average attendance dropped by around 150 but that was caused by big drops in attendance in matches against Celtic and Hibs. One of the matches against the latter was down by 9000 from its equivalent the previous year. I have no idea why it was so severe. Weather? Hibs' league position?

Was in Nantes railway station when he signed and noticed a local newspaper billboard!!!
Bought a paper and couldn't believe what I read!!!
Thought it must be my crap French translation and went into the station bar and got an old French guy to translate the story.
I was so astounded (and chuffed) that I bought 2 large drinks!! Whisky for me and brandy for the old guy.!!
Will never forget that day!!!!!

A very large amount of Rangers fans were against him signing. He wrote in his book he hated us, spat on a Rangers player and blessed himself to the Bears when sent off, a horrible wee man, we paid him a Kings ransom and gave him 24/7 security. Still supports they Bastards after the abuse they gave him, hes an idiot and I think he forgets its his pals in hoops who would do him in if he ever returned to Scotland. He was a good player not sensational as some people would have you believe and was a fighter, played his part for a couple of seasons then off he went a very very rich young man. His only saving grace was that his signing upset the vhermin more than most of us. Im a traditionalist and miss the old days. Oh Ho Ho Its Magic You Know Rangers and Catholics dont go. Aye they were different times but they were good times to be a Teddy Bear.

How much money did it cost us. The pools began to fall when the money stop from across the sea.Never forget that was how Ibrox was built

The number of season tickets sold went up that year. Average attendance dropped by around 150 but that was caused by big drops in attendance in matches against Celtic and Hibs. One of the matches against the latter was down by 9000 from its equivalent the previous year. I have no idea why it was so severe. Weather? Hibs' league position?

Pretty sure interest rates went through the roof and a lot of people were skint.

The first Catholic to sign for Rangers.

No, wait.
The first high profile Catholic to sign for Rangers.

No, wait.
The first high profile Catholic to sign for Rangers in the post-war era.

What's fūckin next?
The first high profile Catholic with blonde hair to sign for Rangers in the post-war era?

Their revisionism gets more embarrassing by the day.

That one always makes me laugh.

What actually is a ‘high profile catholic’?

Is it a bishop? A cardinal? Mel Gibson? Bono?

Reactions: VGM
If Mo told McCoist 4 weeks before he signed, why did Mo go ahead and parade himself at Parhead first?

Also Souness widely on record saying he asked McMurdo a week or more after Mo had been paraded at piggery, and that is how negotiations started.
Not 3 or 4 weeks earlier, so someone is stretching the truth, and I'm more inclined to believe Souness

He told McCoist on international duty that he was signing for Rangers. As Scotland were playing England at the end of May 1989, two weeks after Johnston had been 'unveiled' at Celtic and McMurdo and Souness had first spoken about him going to Rangers, then it's perfectly possible both versions are true.

A very large amount of Rangers fans were against him signing. He wrote in his book he hated us, spat on a Rangers player and blessed himself to the Bears when sent off, a horrible wee man, we paid him a Kings ransom and gave him 24/7 security. Still supports they Bastards after the abuse they gave him, hes an idiot and I think he forgets its his pals in hoops who would do him in if he ever returned to Scotland. He was a good player not sensational as some people would have you believe and was a fighter, played his part for a couple of seasons then off he went a very very rich young man. His only saving grace was that his signing upset the vhermin more than most of us. Im a traditionalist and miss the old days. Oh Ho Ho Its Magic You Know Rangers and Catholics dont go. Aye they were different times but they were good times to be a Teddy Bear.

Im sure i Read him say he doesn’t support either of us now.

At the time,i was working in the PO mail centre on Paisley Road,where the Quay is now. One of my mates skipped away from work,and headed for Ibrox.
Apparently,the Daily Express were offering punters £50 to be photographed burning scarves.
I stayed next to the stadium and this story is true.

McMurdo the Ashley lover, the timing of the article and as many posters have mentioned we have had numerous religions without any issue.

Wonder why in the maelstrom of BLM that they haven’t brought up the stories of the 2 racist Celtc players? Surely that deserves a mention?

McMurdo the Ashley lover, the timing of the article and as many posters have mentioned we have had numerous religions without any issue.

Wonder why in the maelstrom of BLM that they haven’t brought up the stories of the 2 racist Celtc players? Surely that deserves a mention?
It's his son who is the Ashley lover and blog writer not the senior.

Back