Bill McMurdo on Mojo signing

Bill must be going senile. Everyone knows that when Mo's name is brought up there are list of 'truths' that must be repeated ad nauseum about Rangers and their supporters. I'm sorry but 2 season ticket cancellations and 1 scarf murder just doesn't tell 'the story'. Rangers Juan Guy and a minority???? Abuse from both sides?? He's lost it.

Are the Daily Record being paid by the word to use "crock" on the same page?

I was only 2 at the time of this signing. But by watching old Rangers DVDs and various interviews it was clear what Souness wanted and that was a great striker and one of the best Scottish ones at that point. It must have been monumental in 1989, so fair play to the manager and the chairman who went ahead and done the business.

I haven't spoken to one Rangers supporter since that had a problem with his signing based no his religion, simply was because he had played for Celtic. And lets be honest he was welcomed into the fold quickly.

At the time,i was working in the PO mail centre on Paisley Road,where the Quay is now. One of my mates skipped away from work,and headed for Ibrox.
Apparently,the Daily Express were offering punters £50 to be photographed burning scarves.
I know it was a few years ago but I wouldn't be burning my Rangers scarf for the bastards especially as it was to give the club a dose of bad PR.

At the time,i was working in the PO mail centre on Paisley Road,where the Quay is now. One of my mates skipped away from work,and headed for Ibrox.
Apparently,the Daily Express were offering punters £50 to be photographed burning scarves.
I lost a good couple of Burberry scarves that day but made a killing.

Folk have short memories. The only folk that were raging were that mhob. We signed a top drawer striker, shut off the no Catholic signing policy and weakened the unwashed with one swift movement.

I lost a good couple of Burberry scarves that day but made a killing.

Folk have short memories. The only folk that were raging were that mhob. We signed a top drawer striker, shut off the no Catholic signing policy and weakened the unwashed with one swift movement.

don’t forget the massive boot in the balls to them....who paraded him at Parkhead the week (or 2 weeks before). This would be the equivalent of McCoist (if he had left in his prime) coming back like the PRODigal son and then rocking up at Celtic.

Me and one of my work mates photocopied a Rangers letterhead and made up a "dear supporter" letter regretting your decision to cancel your season ticket. We said there must be loads of tickets handed back because of the way it started. Some of the Tims fell for it.
It was the biggest girfuy signing that could have been done to get that monkey of our back.

The only people who have issues with the religion of a Rangers player are the tramps and their ilk in the media.

We've had catholics, jews and muslims and possibly others in our ranks for years now and we've had catholic captains and a catholic manager.

Basically no fcuks given by 99% of Bears. Funny that there is never a hoo ha when we sign a protestant. I find that discriminatory.

In all honesty I couldn't tell you the religion of any of our players and furthermore, I don't care. Anybody that can bang them in for us is near enough a proddy for me. :)

So rare to hear Bill McMurdo talking about the Mo Johnston transfer. Wonder why he’s spilling the beans now.

July means it's time for the annual "Mo Jo/Burning Season Tickets/Nobody wanted him/The Scottish players all hated him" borefest from the Scottish press

Tune in next March when they tell us for 4000th time in 31 years about when Souness had an argument with an old woman and threatened to punch the St Johnstone chairman's lights out.

whats funny about this story in print in the DR is the nonsense about timing ! Go listen to Andy gorams interview he states that ally mccoist knew long before as Mo told him on Scotland duty months before ! Mccoist thought he was joking but mo was serious ! So mojo actually was the one sticking the middle finger up the manks ! And they where only ones raging. Yes a few of our fans where filmed by press saying we won’t go back etc. But we sold out home games , sold out away games ! So Mo only had good effect on our club. He was bloody superb and gave his all for our club.

July means it's time for the annual "Mo Jo/Burning Season Tickets/Nobody wanted him/The Scottish players all hated him" borefest from the Scottish press

Tune in next March when they tell us for 4000th time in 31 years about when Souness had an argument with an old woman and threatened to punch the St Johnstone chairman's lights out.

It‘s the equivalent of Kevin Eldon’s impression of George Martin being kidnapped - “then they said “well, we don’t like your tie“ and that broke the ice.“

File alongside Gazza hiding fish in Gordon Druid’s car - coming to you every two months on TalkSPORT.

whats funny about this story in print in the DR is the nonsense about timing ! Go listen to Andy gorams interview he states that ally mccoist knew long before as Mo told him on Scotland duty months before ! Mccoist thought he was joking but mo was serious ! So mojo actually was the one sticking the middle finger up the manks ! And they where only ones raging. Yes a few of our fans where filmed by press saying we won’t go back etc. But we sold out home games , sold out away games ! So Mo only had good effect on our club. He was bloody superb and gave his all for our club.
I was working with his dad ,Jimmy, and he chucked his job a week or two before he signed. Met him a few years later and he told is that Mojo had told him 3/4 weeks before that he was signing.

I was working with his dad ,Jimmy, and he chucked his job a week or two before he signed. Met him a few years later and he told is that Mojo had told him 3/4 weeks before that he was signing.

as I say mate. I listen to the goalie and he said ally told him Years later and he was like How did you keep it a secret ! Mccoist said I don’t know how I managed too. But I did. For me Mo Johnston was great signing for us and gave us a forward line that was lethal. The roar when he scored his first goal for us at Ibrox and his first goal against them. Look at his face in front of the Copland ! All the media bolloxs and lies. Christ he still refers to rangers as Us now.

My 1st Belfast for the 12th, we were staying with a mate in East Belfast and he told us we had signed him when we got to his. We couldn't believe it.

don’t forget the massive boot in the balls to them....who paraded him at Parkhead the week (or 2 weeks before). This would be the equivalent of McCoist (if he had left in his prime) coming back like the PRODigal son and then rocking up at Celtic.
One of the oft repeated myths, for one or two weeks, try two months.

as I say mate. I listen to the goalie and he said ally told him Years later and he was like How did you keep it a secret ! Mccoist said I don’t know how I managed too. But I did. For me Mo Johnston was great signing for us and gave us a forward line that was lethal. The roar when he scored his first goal for us at Ibrox and his first goal against them. Look at his face in front of the Copland ! All the media bolloxs and lies. Christ he still refers to Rangers as Us now.

I'm surprised at that, I'm sure in a recent interview that he said that the mhank score was the first he looks for.

It was certainly a Jaw dropping moment when I read the Sun that morning and thought it must be a load of pish.

His religion didn't bother me at all but it was a strange feeling having an ex Celtic player signing for us and especially him!!

I asked the man a few years ago when a few of us met him our lodge was parading in Edinburgh as he was watching on the sidelines about the hassles it brought him all it did was bring out a wee wry smile .

How long before the day late retard show that famous pic from his living room it no doubt pissed a load of the rebels off having King Billy proudly displayed .

as I say mate. I listen to the goalie and he said ally told him Years later and he was like How did you keep it a secret ! Mccoist said I don’t know how I managed too. But I did. For me Mo Johnston was great signing for us and gave us a forward line that was lethal. The roar when he scored his first goal for us at Ibrox and his first goal against them. Look at his face in front of the Copland ! All the media bolloxs and lies. Christ he still refers to Rangers as Us now.
I’m sure Super Ally says that on one of his videos, that Mojo told him on Scotland duty.

I left to go holiday to Lloret the day he was paraded at the 'dome. Fast forward ?a week? & 1 of the barman in Rabbie Burns says to me "what do you think of the new signing?" I wouldn't believe him. It wasn't 'til I seen the paper the next day - as it was back then. To say my flaber was well & truly gasted doesn't do it justice!

Bill must be going senile. Everyone knows that when Mo's name is brought up there are list of 'truths' that must be repeated ad nauseum about Rangers and their supporters. I'm sorry but 2 season ticket cancellations and 1 scarf murder just doesn't tell 'the story'. Rangers Juan Guy and a minority???? Abuse from both sides?? He's lost it.
I was outside the stadium that day when Mo signed and I can assure you about 3 people were upset, coerced by the media for a negative story
I'm sure Mo jumped ship and signed for was because he owed a few quid in tax.cant remember if here or in France and Celtc refused to.pay it for him and we did and that's one of the reasons he signed,?

I was outside the stadium that day when Mo signed and I can assure you about 3 people were upset, coerced by the media for a negative story0
Indeed. Hope you and others picked up the rather heavy dose of sarcasm in my original post. Otherwise I might be in for a fair bit of abuse in the coming hours :eek:

I left to go holiday to Lloret the day he was paraded at the 'dome. Fast forward ?a week? & 1 of the barman in Rabbie Burns says to me "what do you think of the new signing?" I wouldn't believe him. It wasn't 'til I seen the paper the next day - as it was back then. To say my flaber was well & truly gasted doesn't do it justice!
Sorry mate, he was paraded in the week leading up to the Scottish Cup Final in May, he signed for us in JULY.

They never got over it.

Even the Rangers fans were shocked that Souness had the brass neck to do it.

Many rangers fans didnt t agree, but there love for rangers was more to them than mojo signing. And still went. his goal ratio was great tbh

I'm surprised at that, I'm sure in a recent interview that he said that the mhank score was the first he looks for.

It was certainly a Jaw dropping moment when I read the Sun that morning and thought it must be a load of pish.

His religion didn't bother me at all but it was a strange feeling having an ex Celtic player signing for us and especially him!!

I am sure that he was in studio for sky at hampden when we beat them
In semi final and referred to Rangers as US ! But said Celtic whilst discussing them. Apologies if I am wrong. That was my understanding of it.

Positives the it’s in gorams interview with James English that he reveals the MOJO story with mccoist

McCoist talks about it in his first video and in his autobiography in the early 90's

Johnston tells them when they were rooming together on international duty and swore him to secrecy.

I’m too young to remember this but my dad tells me that he was over the moon he signed, as were most Rangers fans?
Typical of the Record not to let the truth get in the way of a good story though.
He was a really good player who had improved massively while playing in france,the shock of signing an ex celtic player and one who was disliked to say the least while he played for them was massive.
But the GIRUY to them not long after he was on show at the piggery did more than even it out for the vast majority(who might also have called him all sorts after he missed the two great chances away to them!)
He more than made up for that including scoring the winner in my first old firm game,he will always be remembered well by me.

Sat beside his mum& dad at Tannadice ( think it was Butcher,s last game) & his old man said at last I can see my boy playing for my team.
Footnote he had one of the old scarfs from the sixties on & his ma was dressed like Bet Lynch

Random fact I sat next to Bill McMurdo at the 6-2 game at the Piggery. Arguably the worst result/match I've sat through. He never said a word the whole game. Neither did I to be fair.

Some in the media were wanking themselves into a frenzy hoping he would have been hounded out of Ibrox. Half empty stadium and burnt flags etc.

It never happened. When he signed it was a big GIRUY aimed at Scum FC.

When we the fans proved we didn't care that he was Catholic it was a similar GIRUY aimed right at the media.

My pals day worked for Daily Record sports desk and too Mo story to editor and was laughed out the place.

Day-late Record phrase was born. And they were pretty much to run with any rumours from then on so as not to miss out on such a story again.

If Mo told McCoist 4 weeks before he signed, why did Mo go ahead and parade himself at Parhead first?

Also Souness widely on record saying he asked McMurdo a week or more after Mo had been paraded at piggery, and that is how negotiations started.
Not 3 or 4 weeks earlier, so someone is stretching the truth, and I'm more inclined to believe Souness

I'm sure I've read quotes from Jim Hannah who was head of ticket office at the time, about how the whole cancelling season tickets thing didn't happen. In fact, season ticket sales went up after the signing was announced.

And, Mo Johnston was an outstanding player for us. He must have scored in four or five 1-0 wins for us in his first season.

That signing was the epitome of Magnificent Bastard ,it was a statement ,that’s the type of signings we used to make .

You must have your dates mixed up it was 2
Months after

The first Catholic to sign for Rangers.

No, wait.
The first high profile Catholic to sign for Rangers.

No, wait.
The first high profile Catholic to sign for Rangers in the post-war era.

What's fūckin next?
The first high profile Catholic with blonde hair to sign for Rangers in the post-war era?

Their revisionism gets more embarrassing by the day.

He did say that not long ago. The result he still looks out fir is the Celtic one, he didnt say anything bad about us, but made it clear he was still very much one of them.

Back