Bill Shankly's Rangers connection.

wakerickman

Was in the area today and decided to drop in to Glenbuck. A ghost town now, but famously the birthplace of Bill Shankly. I was aware that Shankly's nephew, Roger Hynd played for Rangers. Can any Rangers historians out there tell me anything else about his Rangers connections, if there are any?

Don't know any Rangers connection, but read that the village was famous for it's success at "quoiting".
Had to look that up, and it's a game of throwing rings onto a stake that was popular with the ironworkers and miners of Ayrshire.
You're never too auld to learn something.

I read that Shankly wanted to play for the Gers during the war but he was assigned to Partick Thistle instead.

Is he not meant to have said after hearing the Berwick result. I refuse to belive that, even if its true. Or words to that affect? Sure I've read that somewhere.

Think he played for Denny Hibernian with my great uncle Alex. Alex then went on to play for Preston and Marseille.

No help I know :)

Edit I'm talking shite. It was Matt Busby who played with my uncle at Denny Hibernian.
Denny Hibernian?
Any more info on them mate?

Is he not meant to have said after hearing the Berwick result. I refuse to belive that, even if its true. Or words to that affect? Sure I've read that somewhere.
Seem to remember something to the effect,that Rangers were the only club he would leave Liverpool for. Can anyone confirm?

Liverpool had a poor result the same day we lost to Berwick. All the players were in the dressing room at time up, waiting on Shankly giving them a bollocking. He came in and just said
Berwick Rangers 1 The Rangers 0 and went back out.
It shows what a huge club we are/we're when it's still the biggest shock ever in Scottish football, domestically.

I read his autobiography & it was mentioned he used to save money to make a trip to Ibrox, it was well publicised at the time that Roger Hynd was his nephew.
I believe Glenbuck is no more just a plinth & a liverpool group called " the spirit of Shankly " make a pilgrimage every now and again

Back in his day it must have been a tough trip from Glenbuck to Ibrox.
There's a John Peel program on YouTube called Sound of the Suburbs. In the one about Lanarkshire (Uddingston, Bellshill and EK) he goes to see the Shankly memorial on his way back south. Watched by the camera crew and an old guy puting his bins out.

Glenbuck's fitba team was called the Glenbuck Cherrypickers.

Ayrshire Loyal - now exiled in Uddingston

Nothing to do with the question but continuing the Ayrshire theme, a few years back the wife and I were on the Glasgow Central tour.

The tour guide, clearly an SNP and green and grey Supporter, was waxing lyrical in the bowels of the station -
“ The Station was built using steel made by Irish immigrants in the Parkhead forge” he told us.

“ Is that right”, says I , “ See those big girders up there stamped “Glengarnock steel works…..”

He didn’t look my way for the rest of the tour.

Shankly allegedly wanted to play for Rangers during the war but ended up playing for Partick Thistle. His relative (brother I think) managed Stirling Albion who play at Annfield.

And
Don't know any Rangers connection, but read that the village was famous for it's success at "quoiting".
Had to look that up, and it's a game of throwing rings onto a stake that was popular with the ironworkers and miners of Ayrshire.
And the quoits a heavy and then the distance they have to be thrown is roughly 18 feet and the square mitre of clay that's where the pin is buried and closest to it gets a point

Shankly's brother in law was a big bluenose.
When Dalglish went down to Liverpool as a youngster he said that he and Shankly spent ages talking about Rangers.
He's supposed to have said to Jimmy Millar after a Scotland game (maybe Uruguay) that he was playing for the greatest club in the world.

Sometimes just sometimes this place is great for wee nuggets of information and education.
For some reason I always had it in my head that Shankley had leanings towards that mob.
I’m not even sure why.

Very popular in the Renton and Vale of Leven in the 50s and 60s.

I remember as a youngster opposing teams bringing hundreds of supporters and nearly everyone in the town would cram into the club,it was quite a spectacle.

Played it as a youth but never any good at it :)

Nothing to do with the question but continuing the Ayrshire theme, a few years back the wife and I were on the Glasgow Central tour.

The tour guide, clearly an SNP and green and grey Supporter, was waxing lyrical in the bowels of the station -
“ The Station was built using steel made by Irish immigrants in the Parkhead forge” he told us.

“ Is that right”, says I , “ See those big girders up there stamped “Glengarnock steel works…..”

He is one massive tim and SNP fanny.

Surprised to learn he favoured us. Always thought otherwise. Anyway, doesn't matter, who cares? Easily my favorite non-Rangers football personality.

possibly the illusion of him favouring that other shower ,comes from him being first into their dressing room in lisbon and greeting stein with the words "John you"re immortal"
Makes sense when in reality it was just one Scottish football man congratulating another.
Not like that lot to take a small thing and claim it as one of their own

Was in the area today and decided to drop in to Glenbuck. A ghost town now, but famously the birthplace of Bill Shankly. I was aware that Shankly's nephew, Roger Hynd played for Rangers. Can any Rangers historians out there tell me anything else about his Rangers connections, if there are any?
His uncle Robert Blyth played for rangers from 1891 to 94

Sometimes just sometimes this place is great for wee nuggets of information and education.
For some reason I always had it in my head that Shankley had leanings towards that mob.
I’m not even sure why.
Perhaps because of his "John, you're immortal" comment to the one who knew after they beat the Italian reserve side
But you just need to look at the honesty and integrity of the man to know he could never be one of them

I played against him he was right back for Rangers 3rd team was a big strong lad if I remember played CF in a E C game

Liverpool had a poor result the same day we lost to Berwick. All the players were in the dressing room at time up, waiting on Shankly giving them a bollocking. He came in and just said
Berwick Rangers 1 The Rangers 0 and went back out.
It shows what a huge club we are/we're when it's still the biggest shock ever in Scottish football, domestically.
Watford knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup in 1969/70 and this defeat was the final straw for Shankly and led to the break up of his great side of the 1960's. Shankly told many of his players that they had played their last game for Liverpool. Dave Bowler in his authorised biography of Shankly states that Bill's mood was hardly improved when a member of staff told him that Berwick had beaten Rangers his favourite team in the Scottish Cup and Shankly said in typical fashion "I wouldn't believe that even if it was true." I think Bowler has his story a bit mixed up here as the Watford game was on the 21st Feb 1970 and Rangers had also lost to Celtic on that date which would have made Bill even more angry. As another poster has said i think Bill Shankly would have made a great manager for Rangers.

Thx for the link, reminds me of all the mining villages around when I was a wee laddie.

... good mining stock ;)

They don’t like it when the truth stands in the way of a good story.

I’m not even sure why.
I discovered today that AONB on a map means Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It had tormented me for ages.

You’re welcome fellow Bear.

Back