Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland (Rangers related)

cooperno.7

I always enjoyed watching Billy Connolly and always thought that he was pretty fair when it came to religion and football.

However, I've been reading his book 'Made in Scotland', which is linked to the TV show, and some of the guff about anti Catholicism and big bad bigoted Rangers, is appalling. Here's some quotes from the book.

"It was only as I got older, and could start to think for myself, that I realised the depth of the discrimination that was all around me". (talking about the shipyards)

"There was this phrase that I would hear all the time, that people would tell us to our faces: 'This is a protestant country'. It angered me. It was the same rejection that my parents' generation had felt".

"On the first night of my first Australian tour, in Brisbane in 1976, a bunch of Scottish religious nuts in the audience yelled anti-catholic abuse at me and sang Rangers songs. It was so bad that I had to stop the show".

"I have known people all through my life who went to Rangers matches and yelled abuse at the opposition all through the game; 'You fucking Catholic bastards! You 19th Century Terrorist Wankers".

"The sectarian prejudice always seemed stronger with Rangers than Celtic to me. Celtic has never been an anti-protestant club. Rangers, however, always were a 100% protestant club. They started as a Presbyterian rowing club and when they became a football club, the Presbyterian thing stuck right up until the 70's"

"Everything has changed nowadays and Rangers have Italian and Spanish player playing for them, who are obviously catholic. Even so, the club still discourages them from making the sign of the cross and blessing themselves".

"Only last season, Neil Lennon, who used to be the celtic manager and is now the manager of Hibs, ran on the pitch and celebrated when his team scored a fifth goal, making it Hibs 5, Rangers 5. He got punished by the Scottish FA for going over the top, but he explained why he had done it: 'The Rangers supporters were calling me a 19th Century Terrorist bastard all match long!'"

All this is in one chapter. No mention whatsoever of the bile and hatred emanating from his 'wonderful celtic".

He did say "celtic kindly gave me a seat for life a while ago (along with Rod Stewart)". This obviously came with the condition of peddling anti Rangers narrative.

As I said at the start, I used to like Billy and thought he was fairly balanced. After reading this bollocks, I've changed my mind.

In the same book he says that after finishing his apprenticeship in the shipyards ( I thought they were supposedly barred from there because they were Catholic ) he went for a job elsewhere and there was only one other applicant in the waiting room, a drunk guy who happened to be Protestant. Billy filled in the drunk guy's job application form and they still gave the job to the Protestant. :rolleyes: I like Billy Connolly, but his book is just nonsense.

I worked with a guy who was in the yard with Billy Connolly. He categorically said that the Big Yin had absolutely no interest whatsoever in football.
In Billy's day matches licked off at 3pm on Saturdays, where was Billy? According to Billy he was learning to play the banjo. He has also mentioned in his youth getting a row off his family for sneaking into the protestant church events, so bigotry began at home Billy

In the same book he says that after finishing his apprenticeship in the shipyards ( I thought they were supposedly barred from there because they were Catholic ) he went for a job elsewhere and there was only one other applicant in the waiting room, a drunk guy who happened to be Protestant. Billy filled in the drunk guy's job application form and they still gave the job to the Protestant. :rolleyes: I like Billy Connolly, but his book is just nonsense.

Unfortunately loads of people will read this nonsense and take it as gospel.

He had an extremely violent and abusive childhood, an experience little doubt shared by quite a number of his contemporaries. He did very well to escape all of that and find a place in the world where he brought laughter to millions. I wouldn't say a bad word against him, sad to see he's not a well man these days and I suppose some allowances maybe need to be made on his behalf. I wouldnt grudge him that.

He makes a joke; 'Is it okay if I'm a Protestant?' in the crucifixion.

I personally think he is/was a comic genius, whose observations on life and the absurd, very well may never be matched.

But he's deluded when it comes to sectarianism in this country and what constitutes right and wrong. Of course I never had the education he had.

Did Billy not wear a Partick thistle scarf in his early days when doing live concerts /TV?

Was it not him who coined the phrase " I always thought my team was called Partick Thistle Nil due to hearing it that many times on Grandstand ?:"

Billy getting more RC in his old age just incase it is a RC God when his time comes?

Disappointing to read that

Wonder how much input he actually has given his condition

Presbyterian rowing club ffs they’ll make up any kind of garbage

Did Billy not wear a Partick thistle scarf in his early days when doing live concerts /TV?

Was it not him who coined the phrase " I always thought my team was called Partick Thistle Nil due to hearing it that many times on Grandstand ?:"

Billy getting more RC in his old age just incase it is a RC God when his time comes?
The guilt complex kicks in worrying about his place..
Church of the Guilty Mind.

Let's be honest, it will have been a ghost writer picked from the cesspit of Scottish journalists/writers. Would have been lucky if he proof read the thing.

This could be near the truth.

He has hardly uttered a word on sectarianism for 40 years or so, and suddenly he decides to give us loads of examples of discrimination? He has spoken of football and of religion but has done this with no animosity to one side or the other.

He has never, ever came across as your typical west of Scotalnd yahoo with a chip on his shoulder. His life was music and comedy and it is obvious that he has never had any great affinity with football in general.

I must admit i am struggling to believe he said all this, I have met the guy before and he was brilliant, a real gent. Listening to him in the past he has never been bitter.
I am thinking this is a ghost writer ramping up stuff to get people talking , and it has worked.

He’s a lot like me to be honest. An evil Scotsman and his name is jock. Got one hand in my pocket and I’m playin with my 10 inch cock! :oops:

This nonsense has only come out in the last couple of years and hard to believe.
Definitely stinks of a third party with an axe to grind.

I met him on Sauchiehall street along with a pal of his from Drumchapel, I won't name him. The only interest he had at that time was the folk scene, no mention of football, but he was very funny telling jokes. You must remember, he has been brain washed as a RC, therefore he is one of those who have not gone near a church for many years, however he is getting much older and he will have the last rites. That is the power of brain washing by the RC church, another form of abuse. I had a relative who was the same, no church for over 40 years but Priest on her death bed.

I’m sure he said he was a partick fan years ago and the joke was he thought they were called ‘partick thistle nil’
I always liked his stand up and I’m sure he could give as much banter back as he received. Unfortunately it isn’t banter nowadays and one side is always the victim of this non banter.

Back