Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland (Rangers related)

What goes on in their heads.
Do they not read the newspapers?
That was one of the main reasons for the Reformation 4 centuries ago and it is still going on today with still no outright condemnation from them or their church!.
It's just deflection, deflection deflection. For them it appears to make the unacceptable acceptable. Unbelievable.
Hell must be overrun with them.
Time to give their kids a chance, say no to faith schools. At least then the kids will know staff they can trust who will have no problem turning the abuser, no matter who he is, over to the police.

Ian Gittins is the one who scribbled.

Not a name I have heard of. Perhaps others have?

But there is no way Connolly would have known the crap Lennon said after the 5-5 game for example..

Was it not Connolly who said he remembered all the priests in the stand.

I blame his illness
I as a youngster lived of Janefield St. and used to go into the piggery, and pick up all the empty screwtaps in a big burlap bag and take them back to Taits/Flyns on Springfield Rd/London Rd, and give the money to my Mammy, I used to wonder who all they men in black were, soon got told by the old man who they were, and not to go near them.

Last edited:
There's no finer comedian in my opinion, but he's certainly performed some major mental gymnastics over his take on various situations pertaining to Scottish society over the years.
Highly critical of the catholic church in earlier days he's fairly trying to redeem himself by plying the vicTIMhood agenda in more recent times.

Ian Gittins is the one who scribbled.

Not a name I have heard of. Perhaps others have?

But there is no way Connolly would have known the crap Lennon said after the 5-5 game for example..

He's a music journalist who would be far less likely to be au fait with Scottish football.

I don't know why it's difficult to accept that Scottish Catholics have a blind spot when it comes to their responsibility for sectarianism. Victimhood is drummed into them.

Everyone who has written or mouthed off about sectarianism in Scotland is a Catholic or (as in the case of Jack McConnell and Graham Spiers) acting on their behalf.

I always enjoyed watching Billy Connolly and always thought that he was pretty fair when it came to religion and football.

However, I've been reading his book 'Made in Scotland', which is linked to the TV show, and some of the guff about anti Catholicism and big bad bigoted Rangers, is appalling. Here's some quotes from the book.

"It was only as I got older, and could start to think for myself, that I realised the depth of the discrimination that was all around me". (talking about the shipyards)

"There was this phrase that I would hear all the time, that people would tell us to our faces: 'This is a protestant country'. It angered me. It was the same rejection that my parents' generation had felt".

"On the first night of my first Australian tour, in Brisbane in 1976, a bunch of Scottish religious nuts in the audience yelled anti-catholic abuse at me and sang Rangers songs. It was so bad that I had to stop the show".

"I have known people all through my life who went to Rangers matches and yelled abuse at the opposition all through the game; 'You fucking Catholic bastards! You 19th Century Terrorist Wankers".

"The sectarian prejudice always seemed stronger with Rangers than Celtic to me. Celtic has never been an anti-protestant club. Rangers, however, always were a 100% protestant club. They started as a Presbyterian rowing club and when they became a football club, the Presbyterian thing stuck right up until the 70's"

"Everything has changed nowadays and Rangers have Italian and Spanish player playing for them, who are obviously catholic. Even so, the club still discourages them from making the sign of the cross and blessing themselves".

"Only last season, Neil Lennon, who used to be the celtic manager and is now the manager of Hibs, ran on the pitch and celebrated when his team scored a fifth goal, making it Hibs 5, Rangers 5. He got punished by the Scottish FA for going over the top, but he explained why he had done it: 'The Rangers supporters were calling me a 19th Century Terrorist bastard all match long!'"

All this is in one chapter. No mention whatsoever of the bile and hatred emanating from his 'wonderful celtic".

He did say "celtic kindly gave me a seat for life a while ago (along with Rod Stewart)". This obviously came with the condition of peddling anti Rangers narrative.

As I said at the start, I used to like Billy and thought he was fairly balanced. After reading this bollocks, I've changed my mind.
never got him one guy that's never made me laugh ma pals a bear aswel says his older stuffs superb I've watched some back and still don't find him funny

So Billy claims he stopped a show in 1976 because the anti catholic verbals and Rangers songs were so bad ? Hmmmmm .....

giphy.gif

It shows the damage being abused as a child does
And we are a Protestant country built on Protestant values with a welcoming and inclusive nature to ALL, that doesn't work for every faith that is freely allowed to flourish in our Country

He also at one point mentioned that BBC Scotland was ruled by RC’s, and this was back in the 80’s I am sure.

The quote was “ you can’t hear the noise of the typewriters for the rattling of the rosary’s in there”

This one sticks out to me:

"I have known people all through my life who went to Rangers matches and yelled abuse at the opposition all through the game; 'You fucking Catholic bastards! You 19th Century Terrorist Wankers".

How is he supposed to know this about all of these people if he wasn't at the games? Sounds like he's relating some word-of-mouth stories as his own factual experiences.

Additionally, if we're discouraging people from crossing themselves we haven't been doing a very good job of it for a long time.

"The sectarian prejudice always seemed stronger with Rangers than Celtic to me. Celtic has never been an anti-protestant club. Rangers, however, always were a 100% protestant club. They started as a Presbyterian rowing club and when they became a football club, the Presbyterian thing stuck right up until the 70's"

I've been around for a while now, but that`s the first time I heard of this, despite owning quite a few books on our club. Anyone heard this before?

He should consider himself fortunate that's all he's had to swallow from them. :cool:

With each post made that uses the systematic abuse of children at Celtic as a platform for a quick dig we lose credibility as a fanbase to demand justice for the victims.

I’m sure he said he was a partick fan years ago and the joke was he thought they were called ‘partick thistle nil’
I always liked his stand up and I’m sure he could give as much banter back as he received. Unfortunately it isn’t banter nowadays and one side is always the victim of this non banter.
Thought it was third lanark he supported.

Was in a play written by Peter McDougall who was pals with Connolly in the play a bank safety boxes got blewn up and flute band deafened the noise asked peter if Connolly was coming that day as seemingly never m missed a day reply was he was not coming to watch those orange bastards.
I was there these people don't care who they are or what they are all the same two faced cnts
WATP

Connolly is without doubt the best comedian this country has ever produced and was probably in the top five stand up performers in the world.

However his sudden criticism of Rangers and Protestants will be driven by him getting near to the big comedy club in the sky.

I posted this in another thread. He thinks that by criticising the heathens, the sky fairy, who he really doesn’t believe in anyway, will welcome him through the pearly gates with open arms.

Was in a play written by Peter McDougall who was pals with Connolly in the play a bank safety boxes got blewn up and flute band deafened the noise asked peter if Connolly was coming that day as seemingly never m missed a day reply was he was not coming to watch those orange bastards.
I was there these people don't care who they are or what they are all the same two faced cnts
WATP

He played the lead role on TV, down with big boys and he blew up the bank in Shawlands as the band went down Skirving Street.

Reactions: SSR
Just another rat it's all big bad rangers supporter's end of the day another dim it's all about the rangers

He is only working his way out of the range of the big bad fire. Just in case. No one has come back to tell him the truth.

Billy has one foot in the grave, he's frightened and trying to redeem himself back into the faith. For a man who ridiculed the Catholic Church I'll bet he has a priest ready for the last rights. Until I'm in his position facing death I don't want to be a hypocrite, I might crap myself to.

''Even so, the club still discourages them from making the sign of the cross and blessing themselves".
This is simply not true..Young Mepude Blessed himself when he came on at Rugby Park on Sunday..I have saw other players from the team do this as well

Have to say billy Connolly has never bothered me .

I’ll still watch billy Connollys stand up and laugh .

Back