Billy Gilmour loan.

Conflicted on this. It would likely prevent Lowry getting in the side
Look, the Gilmour loan deal wont happen. However, even if it did and it denied Lowry some game time, his time will come. This would be about what benefits us the most next season domestically and in europe. Lowry is a fantastic prospect but he isnt at Gilmour's level yet. Or even close.

He was overall pretty poor based on what I've read from a lot of Norwich fans who I'm sure watched an awful lot more of him than anyone here.
I've said on my post that I can't say for sure how he played, but when you're being told he couldn't get a game in spite of the readily available evidence, it's hard to trust that source.

The one place I can actually find player ratings https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich
puts Gilmours season right around players like Pukki, McLean, Krul and Max Aarons.

Overall, Norwich were terrible. Gilmour doesn't appear to have been much better or worse than the rest of them.

All the more reason he should have stood out.
That doesn’t happen mate , listened to plenty of podcasts etc of players , that were great Merson , Sheringham , last one and play down the levels, it’s a team game doesn’t matter who you are . Just be dragged down .
I've said on my post that I can't say for sure how he played, but when you're being told he couldn't get a game in spite of the readily available evidence, it's hard to trust that source.

The one place I can actually find player ratings https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/168/Show/England-Norwich
puts Gilmours season right around players like Pukki, McLean, Krul and Max Aarons.

Overall, Norwich were terrible. Gilmour doesn't appear to have been much better or worse than the rest of them.
I watched a good number of games he played in , midfield bypassed generally to get to Pukki asap , a horrid choice of club for boy .

That doesn’t happen mate , listened to plenty of podcasts etc of players , that were great Merson , Sheringham , last one and play down the levels, it’s a team game doesn’t matter who you are . Just be dragged down .

I watched a good number of games he played in , midfield bypassed generally to get to Pukki asap , a horrid choice of club for boy .

Literally what I came in to post. His Norwich form should be ignored, they bypassed midfield to feed puki all season. He was never going to look good in that system.

For Gilmour to improve he has to move to a team which dominates the ball. EPL is no use to him if it's a team like Norwich. It appears unlikely that he will come here on loan but if it did happen it would not be at the expense of game time for Lowry - they have totally different styles/roles

People writing off a 20 year old. I've never seen Gilmour, after he left Rangers I have had no interest in him, but writing him off at his age is probably stretching it. I do, however, remember seeing Harry Kane playing for Norwich, and he was round about the same age; no one would have predicted his career from that time.

I get the, no loans argument, I can even understand the childish, he's made his bed responses.

But anyone who thinks he wouldn't be good enough and "can't see it" should seriously consider a different sport.

I think he is a cracking player but I also think our limited resources are required elsewhere because of the type of player he is.

We don't overly need one who performs the role he is best at.

Agreed. Will have a negative impact on Lowry's game time/development so only makes sense if we actually have a chance of keeping Gilmour permanently
You're as well saying loaning Gilmour would have a negative impact on Jon McLaughlin. Gilmore and Lowry play in totally different roles / positions.
I don't see how ( if he arrived) that he'd curtail young Lowry's progress.

It was said on here at the time that he'd be absolutely wasted in the Norwich midfield.
I don't think anyone should be surprised that it appears to have worked out exactly as predicted

One could argue that by taking his role as a Gers blogger seriously he wouldn’t confirm anything until official from the club so as not to affect the transfer.

Would love to see Gilmour in the team but only if an option to buy
Maybe - but I would have thought it more likely he’d say nothing in such a circumstance, rather than come out and rubbish it.

Agreed about loan to buy.

Go onto any Norwich forum and they’ll tell you how Gilmour played last season. In a poor team or not.

Sheffield United fans told people Lundstram was gash
Aberdeen fans were ready to tell anyone who would listen Jack was sh*te by the time he was coming to us.

Norwich fans have shown themselves to be the 8 finger inbreeds most think them to be if they thought a player like Gilmour was dragging a side with Hanley, McLean and Ben Gibson to a decent season.

People writing off a 20 year old. I've never seen Gilmour, after he left Rangers I have had no interest in him, but writing him off at his age is probably stretching it. I do, however, remember seeing Harry Kane playing for Norwich, and he was round about the same age; no one would have predicted his career from that time.
Don't ever question the footballing sages of FF, remember John Lundstram was absolutely shit not so long ago, now he's the best on earth.

Who wants to guess how many "I heard" threads outwith the transfer thread are started over the next month. I will send the winner a Rod Stewart CD:D

Anyone claiming a source, who cannot prove to the site admin that they are the player or an official from either club, should be hanged, drawn, quartered and have a picture of their severed testicles shown to the Queen. Who will laugh at them. For being tiny and the wrong shape.

Aberdeen fans were ready to tell anyone who would listen Jack was sh*te by the time he was coming to us.

Norwich fans have shown themselves to be the 8 finger inbreeds most think them to be if they thought a player like Gilmour was dragging a side with Hanley, McLean and Ben Gibson to a decent season.
And we all see his performances with Scotland also .

I think he is a cracking player but I also think our limited resources are required elsewhere because of the type of player he is.

We don't overly need one who performs the role he is best at.
I don't disagree but as it stands we have 3 first choice sitting mids.

I have a feeling Kamara will be sold. Based on nothing but a feeling. :oops:

Jacks fitness is still questionable.
What if Gio wants to change things either at the start or during a game and move Lundstram into the back 3.

We could be left with Arfield sitting with maybe McCann.

A return to Rangers on loan is quite possibly the best move for him this summer.

He’s unlikely to feature at Chelsea and will probably move on at the end of his contract, but another bottom half EPL loan may only bring similar results to the way his stint at Norwich panned out.

At Rangers he’ll see a lot more of the ball for starters as well as playing in a side challenging for silverware that’s guaranteed European football all of which will only enhance his Scotland prospects.

Money aside, it’s a good move for both parties, but one that’s unlikely to actually happen.

Reading on Norwich forums they are very unhappy with his performances this season.

The counterargument is he was playing alongside low quality players.

Look, the Gilmour loan deal wont happen. However, even if it did and it denied Lowry some game time, his time will come. This would be about what benefits us the most next season domestically and in europe. Lowry is a fantastic prospect but he isnt at Gilmour's level yet. Or even close.
Gilmour and Lowry are two entirely different players. If, and it's a big if,we do sign Gilmour it would have no direct effect on Lowry making the starting line-up.
I suspect though that Chelsea will be looking to sell Gilmour this summer and that there will be clubs with greater resources than Rangers prepared to meet the asking price.
The ideal scenario would be a season long loan and then signing the boy next year but that won't be allowed to happen.

Gilmour and Lowry are to entirely different players. If, and it's a big if,we do sign Gilmour it would have no direct effect on Lowry making the starting line-up.
I suspect though that Chelsea will be looking to sell Gilmour this summer and that there will be clubs with greater resources than Rangers prepared to meet the asking price.
The ideal scenario would be a season long loan and then signing the boy next year but that won't be allowed to happen.
Agree. The only way he comes to us on loan would be in Chelsea gave him a new deal first. Its a non starter.

Gilmour and Lowry are two entirely different players. If, and it's a big if,we do sign Gilmour it would have no direct effect on Lowry making the starting line-up.
Interesting to see what value they put on him. Personally I would love to see him in our Midfield. His levels for Scotland suggest to me he is ready and of the quality required.

Agree. The only way he comes to us on loan would be in Chelsea gave him a new deal first. Its a non starter.
He’s only 20 and will want to sign another deal , and so will Chelsea imo . had another crack at a loan and they have him a longer term deal if then he’s sold or kept . But atm he goes nowhere until it’s sorted .

Agree about the Sheffield Utd fans but, not Jack. They were beeling he left, especially for us. Think you are confusing that one with a lot of Rangers fans tbh mate. He was massively written off, particularly on here.

That in itself helps prove your point though. I'm surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) people are turning their nose up at Gilmour based on a season at Norwich.

I am not "in the know" by any stretch, but i was told by a mate who knows someone within the club that we have inquired about a loan move. .

Whether that comes to fruition or not is a different matter, but by the looks of things Rangers are interested.

For me it's a no brainer if it can be a goer, ignore Norwich, they are dung, messi wouldnt have saved them this season.

we are most likely losing Davis, and maybe a Kamara if a bit comes in, He has the quality to fill those spaces without question.

I can imagine us having Gilmour and Aribo/ Lowry in a team together, no-one would get the ball of us if that isn't exciting for you then your past help.

Aye. Norwich's problem was they signed him with the aspiration that they'd get safe by playing nice football. Then they quickly realised that, Gilmour apart, their defence and keeper couldn't build possession up under the higher press in the Premier League. So they had to abandon that strategy and play more direct, which made Gilmour largely redundant.

Regardless if he is or isn’t coming to Rangers anyone that uses his assist tally at Norwich as some form of barometer of his talent clearly has painted on eyes.

The boy is and will prove to be an extremely talented footballer.

On what I've seen he's great at recycling the ball and keeping possession.
Does he have the ability to make a defence-splitting pass, or is that not his thing?
90 per cent of the time we will be trying to unlock a team who park the bus.

If Kamara stays, I don’t see the need for Gilmour given the squad composition in that area. Priorities have to be replacements for Goldson and McGregor, a goal scoring midfielder and striker with other additions dependant on departures.

On what I've seen he's great at recycling the ball and keeping possession.
Does he have the ability to make a defence-splitting pass, or is that not his thing?
90 per cent of the time we will be trying to unlock a team who park the bus.
Watched him for Scotland and I would say yes he absolutely does have that ability. A bit like Lowry in that he always looks for the positive pass.

IF he were to come to us it would be a very exciting signing IMO

Would be a great signing for us. If he’s in the last year of his contract, a loan makes zero sense for Chelsea though.

Him & Lowry in the same midfield for a few years under Gio with an old head to guide them on the park would be fantastic.

I get the, no loans argument, I can even understand the childish, he's made his bed responses.

But anyone who thinks he wouldn't be good enough and "can't see it" should seriously consider a different sport.

He’s made his bed types were probably saying the same about McGregor coming back. And Davis. Then rapturously applauding them on Saturday

I’d suggest their initial departures were far more acrimonious than Gilmour’s

Back