Billy Gilmour may go out on loan

The Bin Man

Scotland midfielder Billy Gilmour is in talks with Chelsea about going out on loan next season.

Gilmour, 20, shone in Scotland's Euro 2020 draw with England and would have played in the 3-1 defeat by Croatia had he not tested positive for coronavirus.

The former Rangers youth player made 11 appearances last season for the Blues, but started only three league games.

Gilmour feels his career will progress more quickly if he plays regularly, but knows that will mean leaving Chelsea.

The playmaker was an unused substitute in both the FA Cup and Champions League finals. Thomas Tuchel's side lost the domestic showpiece to Leicester City but beat Manchester City in Portugal to lift European football's biggest club prize.

Gilmour's preference is to stay in the English Premier League, although, should Rangers make it through two rounds of qualifying to reach the Champions League group stage, that could be a bargaining chip for a return to Scotland.

Newly-promoted Norwich City are also interested in Gilmour, who signed a four-year contract extension with Chelsea in 2019.

Won't be to Rangers before anyone starts.

tumblr_orad45B2hG1t2zwivo1_r1_400.gif

If we make CL group stages why not? He could potentially play 10+ European games and be involved in a title race. Much better environment to play in that in a relegation dog fight.

I wouldn’t rule us out.
If he goes on loan it will be to another EPL club or someone in Spain, Italy or Germany.

I mean why would Chelsea even consider letting him learn from one of the world's best midfielders of the last twenty years (and a great from the decade before), experience the pressure of expectation and a title race and hopefully be tested in the Champions League.

It seems ridiculous that we'd even be considered.

come back to the famous.
Don't get me wrong mate, i'd take him in an instant.

But I think he will want to play either in the EPL week in week out or in Germany, Spain, Italy.

It'll be about the standard of league - that rules us out.

Would love to be proved wrong, but i just can't see it.

If we make CL group stages why not? He could potentially play 10+ European games and be involved in a title race. Much better environment to play in that in a relegation dog fight.

I wouldn’t rule us out.

The Euro games would be attractive but the grind of the domestic game won't. He won't develop as much as he could playing in the Scottish League, unfortunately.

Just read that, not much substance to the article, I think he should stay where he is, chances will come and I'm not sure a season with Norwich would help his development.

Norwich might be the perfect fit
he'd start every game practically, be in an environment where he could play good football & there would be no pressure
give him the freedom to grow

I could see him go to Dortmund on loan as part of the Haaland deal
Dortmund wouldn’t see that as incentive to lower the price, Gilmour will develop to be better than Can or Dahoud but he doesn’t immediately displace either of them from their lineup right now.

'Gilmour's preference is to stay in the English Premier League, although, should Rangers make it through two rounds of qualifying to reach the Champions League group stage, that could be a bargaining chip for a return to Scotland.'

Let the fun begin...

I think Chelsea would prefer it if he stayed in the Premier League. I had read there was a move lined up to Southampton in January but it didn't happen.

Things we have in our favour
- Potential Champions League
- Learning from Steven Gerrard and a top coaching team
- He's from Scotland

Still think it is unlikely, especially if they are looking for a large fee.

I think Chelsea would prefer it if he stayed in the Premier League. I had read there was a move lined up to Southampton in January but it didn't happen.

Things we have in our favour
- Potential Champions League
- Learning from Steven Gerrard and a top coaching team
- He's from Scotland

Still think it is unlikely, especially if they are looking for a large fee.
You list the positives for the player, what about for Rangers?

At the end of the season we’d have to deal with the double whammy of him leaving and Davis probably retiring.

I get the romanticism behind it but ultimately we are too big for development loans now and the guy had his chance to play for us already and didn’t want to take it.

If you have too much money and want to “give some away” then please do the following
1. Go to the bookies
2. Put £x,000 on Gilmour joining us (where x represents the number of thousands you wish to lose)
3. Sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen and say goodbye to £x,000

Chelsea will not under any circumstances want him to come to Scotland.
Try seeing things from their view.
They see our league as a total joke.
In addition he doesn’t want to come here either.

Taking a guy on loan for a year in a position that we need stability in long term isn’t a good idea, doesn’t really matter who the player is.
I get the sentiment behind that, but ideally, the system we will be running will involve high turnover as we will be developing players over 1/2 years and selling for decent fees. Therefore there wouldn't be long term stability as you describe it (but there would be financially).

Anyway - another BG thread is always fun.

I could see him go to Dortmund on loan as part of the Haaland deal

Gilmour and Bellingham at CM, very nice.

There will be plenty of clubs more than willing to take him on with a significant loan fee attached I suspect, won’t be coming to us but best of luck to him.

Yeah, I don’t understand it at all.

We should be investing the time and resources on a player that’s actually going to benefit us long term.

I also don’t think Gilmour could displace Davis if he maintains last seasons form.

If Gilmour came, ripped it up, and helped us qualify automatically for next season’s Champions League, the loan would have benefited Rangers long-term.

If Gilmour came, ripped it up, and helped us qualify automatically for next season’s Champions League, the loan would have benefited Rangers long-term.
Accept the point but just to use an example of someone we’re linked with in the same position, Rangers are in a much healthier position if we sign Gustavo Hamer and he does the same thing.

I wouldn’t want the club turning it’s nose up at loan deals that make the team undeniably stronger but Gilmour currently isn’t better than Davis, we either need to upgrade on him or bring someone in that’s going to become an upgrade next season.

If BG were to come & play CL football with us - then Chelsea suffer injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc. with their - existing squad & decided to bring him back in January - for example
Would BG then be 'cup-tied' in the CL ?
Or doesn't it work like that ?
If it does - I can't see Chelsea being keen on that arrangement ?

Anyway you'd think Tucel's connections would give him better options than us or Norwich by the way - German clubs being the obvious contenders

Frank Lampard knew the worth of Billy, if Tuchel doesn’t have the foresight to know how good he is ?or bottle to play Him, he’ll go the way of Frank , who in my opinion was on the way to greatness with Chelsea.
Im sure Thomas Tuchel knows he has a special player available to him - for absolutely no money.

I wouldn’t rule us out.
Because he's a Chelsea first team player now so sending him up here isn't going to do much for him. EPL loan move more than likely and I suspect the loan fee they would want rules us out anyway. It's a total non-starter.

Probably out of reach for us because of finance and the SPFL. But I'd have him in a heartbeat. It's a major regret that we couldn't hold on to him.

Come to rangers and potentially play in the champions league, play in a team that’s looking for trophies and success and be coached by arguably England’s best ever midfielder and one of the most well thought of coaches in the business in Michael Beale.

or go to Norwich

As much as i would love to see the boy play for the bears he has the world literally at his feet.....why come up to this backwater cesspit of a league.

If he had stayed with us he would be a better player imo. He would have had a fair amount of games by now. He would have learned so much from Gerrard.

I would prefer it not to happen great talent but we dont need a loan player playing 35 games who made the decision to leave anyway. We are in the position now where loans should be less frequent

Back