Billy Gilmour on Football Daft

vincemcmahon

Good interview with Billy Gilmour on this weeks Football Daft Podcast.

Talks about the youth set up at Ibrox, how Kenny Miller helped him out, why he decided to move to Chelsea and how me almost made his first team debut under Murty
SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2IeLUs8

Last edited:
His dad is one of them. He only chose Rangers due to logistics. That being said listen to the pod. Good luck the the boy he has a lot of people who see a very big future for him.
He didn’t chose rangers due to logistics

Do you know that boy went to school in Kilmarnock and rangers sent a bus down for him to take him to Glasgow each day after school and return him home at 2230 each night? And he done that for years. The boy and his family were committed 100% to rangers

The chance to move to Chelsea and let’s be honest here, train with far superior players and coaches made the decision an easy one.
Look at the state of the club and first team when billy turned 16. It was a mess and we were being led by Murty!

He didn’t chose rangers due to logistics

Do you know that boy went to school in Kilmarnock and rangers sent a bus down for him to take him to Glasgow each day after school and return him home at 2230 each night? And he done that for years. The boy and his family were committed 100% to rangers

The chance to move to Chelsea and let’s be honest here, train with far superior players and coaches made the decision an easy one.
Look at the state of the club and first team when billy turned 16. It was a mess and we were being led by Murty!
Well his dad is lying on the podcast then because that's what he said.

Potentially one of our biggest ever 'What Ifs'.

Who knows if someone like Gerrard was in charge and we were in a good place as a club we could've got a few seasons out of him before selling him on.

Still wish the boy nothing but the best. Clearly one of the brightest talents Scotland's produced in a very long time.

What was the 'setup for life' contract offered to young Gilmour?

The lowest earning 1st team player at Chelsea (according to a quick Google search) is on £8Kpw in 2019. There sure can't be youth players on anything like that? Good luck to the boy, but if it was a choice between youth obscurity / loans and playing in the Rangers 1st 11 / european competition - I know what I'd have advised him to do.

My mate 40 year ago was playing with Brechin and was told Celtic were interested in him.
He told them not to waste there time as he would never sign for them.
He ended up in sales and to this day doesn’t regret not moving.
A real Rangers man.

The lowest earning 1st team player at Chelsea (according to a quick Google search) is on £8Kpw in 2019. There sure can't be youth players on anything like that? Good luck to the boy, but if it was a choice between youth obscurity / loans and playing in the Rangers 1st 11 / european competition - I know what I'd have advised him to do.
I think Gilmours remuneration package looks beyond a weekly wage.

Accomodation, food, equipment provided.

Family benefits and house possibly taken care of.

As well as a weekly wage.

In this interview does he not admit he wasn't a Rangers fan?

Apparently not, although a few people took it that as his father was one of them then he must be too.

The strange bit was that the official pod twitter account responded to a few questioning this allegiances and said something along the lines of "Grew up a Celtic fan - reveals all in the pod".

Can only assume they were referring to Billy's dad.

I don’t really care much about Billy Gilmour.

However, those who are a bit “scorned” are going to have to get used to the fact that top, top prospects will unfortunately probably never see a first team jersey at Ibrox.

The scouting networks, reach and money of the top clubs mean they will now always get to cherry pick the top talents.

I get why he left and it’s his choice, spare me the whole ‘everyone in his position would have done the same’ that’s complete bollocks.

If reports are to be believed as well, the finances on offer from Chelsea weren’t staggering or life changing.

My mate 40 year ago was playing with Brechin and was told Celtic were interested in him.
He told them not to waste there time as he would never sign for them.
He ended up in sales and to this day doesn’t regret not moving.
A real Rangers man.
So because your pal didn't leave brechin for celtic he's a real Rangers man?

What's that got to do with Gilmour leaving Rangers for Chelsea (and proving he made the right choice?)

Some of the comments made at the time- and now, about a young boy, are disgraceful. Anybody that takes the time to listen will understand why the lad made the decision he did. I was disappointed when he left, he was a local boy and I would have loved him to have come through the ranks and pull on the blue jersey. I fully understand why he made his decision though, and wish him every success. Hopefully we’ll see him back at Ibrox one day as a Rangers player.

Had no idea his dad was a Celtic fan and that he played there for a bit

Gilmour doesn't seem to have any allegiance to either side

The boy is doing what he thinks is the best for his career.

Very easy for fans to say they would stay when 99% of them would never be in his position. I hope he ends up a massive success.

I read elsewhere that Gilmour was on a high SPL wage at Chelsea- high outwith the old firm. A bit below 5k-ish. How true this is I dont know.

For those that can’t see past the Billy Gilmour thing. The podcast is one of the most refreshing things in Scottish football right now, no bitterness or anti Rangers hatred. In fact, if anything it leans towards Rangers. And here we have folk lining up to have a pot shot at a young lad while completely ignoring the show itself. I’d be willing to bet the vast majority haven’t even listened to it:D

Its no different from us taking up and coming prospects from other teams. Nobody in their right mind would pass up the opportunity to see their family and themselves potentially set up for life.

I was pleased for him, albeit sad to see him leave. But if he doesnt make it at Chelsea he'll get another move down south and still make great money.

The staunchness of some people clearly clouds their judgment on things like this, but we should be pleased for him and hope he goes on to do well, fair enough its not with us but it shows our academy is working. You really can't criticise him.

I'm going to wish BG every success & will be happy to see him as hopefully a top player in the near future
I won't question his motives for leaving us because that's entirely down to him

The only down side is - it makes me wonder what the point of our youth develpment ìs ?

If we are going to develop anyone above average - it's inevitable there are countless other clubs out there with buckets of dosh more than us that can pinch our best talent

Seems pretty depressing & almost pointless to me - that's all

He got a once and a lifetime opportunity to go down south and he took it. Fair play to him and I wish Billy all the best in his career.

I'm going to wish BG every success & will be happy to see him as hopefully a top player in the near future
I won't question his motives for leaving us because that's entirely down to him

The only down side is - it makes me wonder what the point of our youth develpment ìs ?

If we are going to develop anyone above average - it's inevitable there are countless other clubs out there with buckets of dosh more than us that can pinch our best talent

Seems pretty depressing & almost pointless to me - that's all
When Billy left the club was still nowhere near what it is right now. I hope we can keep the likes of McPake and Young-Coombes so they actually play regularly for the first team in the future before a team comes in.

Honestly what Rangers fan gives a %^*& about some kid that happened to play for Rangers under 16 and decided to leave for Chelsea.

He had the chance to play 1st team football with Rangers, he chose to play under 18 football with a much smaller club , his choice.

Fed up seeing threads about him, he looks a smashing young player and good luck to him, but he had the opportunity we would all give almost anything for and chose to go elsewhere. Fair enough, but he is no longer relevant to us. I would rather hear about youngsters who want to be Rangers heroes.
Well said mate

Its amazing the support and good wishes some on here a given a boy who never played in our first team.

Look at the boys that have played with Ajax this season, all going to top teams around the world at 19, 20 years of age. Do you think these boys didnt have opportunities to move when they were younger?

Has any player that never even played 1 st team for us got as many threads as this boy has?Personally I don’t care if the boy becomes a superstar or ends up doing nothing.He’s never done anything of note for Rangers (know we got a fee) so don’t understand the obsession with him. What I will say the system is all wrong when it allows clubs like Chelsea to come in and do what they done to get this boy and I know we’ve done similar.Still doesn’t make it right.

Its amazing the support and good wishes some on here a given a boy who never played in our first team.

Look at the boys that have played with Ajax this season, all going to top teams around the world at 19, 20 years of age. Do you think these boys didnt have opportunities to move when they were younger?

Its almost as if Ajax are World renowned for their youth development and these kids know it compared to us having a zip chewing *redacted* in charge of our team and we were a shambles when Gilmour was making his decision

Back