Billy Gilmour on loan?

he should have stayed with us another player whom took the money instead of developing his career

He could have stayed with us, done his cruciate and never came back the same player again. Going to Chelsea sets him up for life financially if he doesn't blow his money. He'll still only be a pup when his contract down there runs out with his full career ahead of him and he'll be a wealthy kid.

Chelsea youngster Billy Gilmour admits he is keen to leave on loan for first-team opportunities. The 17-year-old Scottish U21 midfielder joined Chelsea from Rangers last summer.

He told the Daily Record: "You see all the boys going out on loan at Chelsea and how much it’s benefiting them. Jake Clarke-Salter and Fikayo Tomori are out just now at Vitesse Arnhem in Holland and at Derby County.

"Tammy Abraham is at Aston Villa and Mason Mount is another at Derby and he has just been called into the full England squad. I played Under-18s last year to settle in. Now I’ve moved up to Under-23 and will try to kick on. I’ll take it bit by bit."

The rumours are nonsense, the lad himself said he is not ready yet, if he was he would Frank would have had him on loan at Derby.

I honestly think Billy has a chance of making it at Chelsea.As for coming to us next season,I don't think so.He's not physically mature enough for first team football in Scotland or England.

He may think he is ready to go out on loan but I just hope some one at Chelsea knows better and reigns him in a bit.

what would messi think of some of the comments in this post??

too wee jesus christ

Other than the super elite. Tell me some 17 year olds playing at top clubs week in week out in centre midfield?

Also it's Scotland. Grown men get bullied. Not a slight on Billy gilmour at all but it's just not something we need at all.

he should have stayed with us another player whom took the money instead of developing his career

Is he not developing his career? He's featuring (and standing out) at one of the best youth academies in the World.

One of our star players (Kent) is currently doing what Gilmour is looking to do in developing his career.

Some people's attitude on here, to what was a 15 year old boy's decision at the time, is frankly bizarre.

what would messi think of some of the comments in this post??

too wee jesus christ

Exactly, this is why scottish fitbaw it rotten.

We would rather a tall built guy with average ability over a small guy who has tremendous ability.

Some of the best players in the world are wee.

2vwxont.jpg

You saying he hasn't developed down there? You kidding me? He has come on leaps and bounds and is a better player for it.

Here's the thing...if he had stayed with us, he would probably be breaking into our first team next year, on maybe 5k a week
Then after, maybe 2 seasons, if he was successful with us, he would probably be on 20k a week, which is what he still may be on at Chelsea in 2 or 3 years, because he won't get into their first team by that age.
Then, he could have moved from us to an EPL team for big money, with a big signing on fee, making the club some decent money and having a far greater number of first team appearances under his belt.

Would have been better staying with us until he knew who our new manager was going to be. For me, he made the wrong choice of career move.

The money Rangers offered was nowhere near 5k a week, not even half of it.

I wanted him to stay but he has in no way made the wrong move. He has excelled massively down there and anyone who says different is just jumping on a bandwagon because he left us.

I think he will be at Derby on loan come January/next summer. Lampard is a massive fan of him and I can see that happening.

Is he not developing his career? He's featuring (and standing out) at one of the best youth academies in the World.

One of our star players (Kent) is currently doing what Gilmour is looking to do in developing his career.

Some people's attitude on here, to what was a 15 year old boy's decision at the time, is frankly bizarre.

Well said mate, not only that, he is now excelling at under 23 level and getting game time for Scotland under 21s. As I said above, I wanted him to stay but he has done wonders down there so far and people saying they would take him in 2 years.. he will be above us in two years time.

Can we name all the young 'talent' who have started in Chelsea youth team and went on to feature regularly for the first team ?

It doesn't exist, even if they send 30 or 40 youngsters out on loan every year.

It's a business for them its all about developing them and selling them on for profits

And from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to send Gilmour up here, where he's more likely to get a broken leg than anything else

Here's the thing...if he had stayed with us, he would probably be breaking into our first team next year, on maybe 5k a week
Then after, maybe 2 seasons, if he was successful with us, he would probably be on 20k a week, which is what he still may be on at Chelsea in 2 or 3 years, because he won't get into their first team by that age.
Then, he could have moved from us to an EPL team for big money, with a big signing on fee, making the club some decent money and having a far greater number of first team appearances under his belt.

Would have been better staying with us until he knew who our new manager was going to be. For me, he made the wrong choice of career move.

He could’ve stayed with us, tore his ligaments and may never have been the same player again.

Would you turn down guaranteed millions at 16 knowing fine well that your career could end the next time you went in for a tackle?

I’d have loved to have seen Gilmour stay but you can’t criticise the lad for taking the money.

I honestly think Billy has a chance of making it at Chelsea.As for coming to us next season,I don't think so.He's not physically mature enough for first team football in Scotland or England.

He may think he is ready to go out on loan but I just hope some one at Chelsea knows better and reigns him in a bit.

Salah, de Bruyne and Lukaku couldn't make it at Chelsea what chance does Billy Gilmour have ?

I know its not the same but, honestly in any case I cant think of any player who has come up through the youth ranks at Chelsea to be a first team regular.

I suspect his first loan will be to a more technical country that gives players some time on the ball - maybe Switzerland/ Austria/ lower German league.

By the end of next season he might be in a position to be looking for a loan in the UK once he is more able to cope with the physical side.

For everyone saying he can't do it up here by the way (I do agree it wouldn't be the right move for him though), what about Harry cochrane at Hearts? He played CM numerous times last season (very well btw) at 16, and is probably even slimmer than Billy :):):):)

In regards to him not being physically ready, Derek Ferguson played for the first team when he was 15, he played regularly for us the following season I believe.

I’m just using Ferguson as an example, he wasn’t tall, he was skinny too but had bags of ability, he was a creative midfielder and was played at a time when the game was much more physical than it is now.

Needs to go to Holland or similar to begin with as he will get time on the ball.

If we went to England’s lower leagues or back up here, he’d get broken in half.

I have a genuine fear that his size and build could really hold him back.

Needs to go to Holland or similar to begin with as he will get time on the ball.

If we went to England’s lower leagues or back up here, he’d get broken in half.

I have a genuine fear that his size and build could really hold him back.

Didn't hold Harry Cochrane of Hearts back last season playing CM? Who is probably slimmer than Gilmour and also scored against Celtic :)

Hardly a good example when he’s currently out injured after a bad tackle....

So have numerous other players from every team in the league? Dorrans and Jack for us. Now they aren't slouches, are they.

To say he wouldn't have been injured if he was slightly stronger is ridiculous.

So have numerous other players from every team in the league? Dorrans and Jack for us. Now they aren't slouches, are they.

The poster you quoted said he would be halved in our league, you used Cochrane as an example. He’s currently out injured after being halved in our league.

I’m almost sure the Lego eater injured him last year in the league as well.

The fact senior professionals are out with injured after bad tackles actually reinforces the original statement. This league is not suitable for a 16 year old making his way in the game, it’s full of thugs and the referees are useless

Salah, de Bruyne and Lukaku couldn't make it at Chelsea what chance does Billy Gilmour have ?

I know its not the same but, honestly in any case I cant think of any player who has come up through the youth ranks at Chelsea to be a first team regular.

They might not have made it at Chelsea but they all made it.

The poster you quoted said he would be halved in our league, you used Cochrane as an example. He’s currently out injured after being halved in our league.

I’m almost sure the Lego eater injured him last year in the league as well.

The fact senior professionals are out with injured after bad tackles actually reinforces the original statement. This league is not suitable for a 16 year old making his way in the game, it’s full of thugs and the referees are useless

I agreed that it would not be the right move for him, but to suggest a player can't play because of that is ridiculous. Cochrane was halved just like any other player.

It happens in every single league, even in under 21s etc. At every single level fo the game you will get players getting halved and being injured.

Chelsea are a bit more financially constrained these days compared to, say, 5 years ago. They are struggling to attract the very best the way they once could. It's impossible to get into the mind of a 15 year old but Gilmour probably knew the odds were against him breaking into Chelsea' s first team when he signed. I don't think the move was about Chelsea but about Gilmour' s financial well being and his extended career . I rather doubt Gilmour cares much whether it's Chelsea, Arsenal or Bayern paying him 300k per week in 5 years time.

Was he not talking to Celtic before opting to join Chelsea? Is his dad (agent) not a Tim?

I have no idea if the above is true just read it on here. Just thinking if he’s going on loan then Rangers , where he chose to leave after being given a fantastic offer and the manager spoke to him giving him assurances, may not be his first choice. Tbh I would think it a pretty bizarre choice. He’s Chelsea’s player and they would want him to broaden his footballing knowledge not go back to where he was previously

Was he not talking to Celtic before opting to join Chelsea? Is his dad (agent) not a Tim?

I have no idea if the above is true just read it on here. Just thinking if he’s going on loan then Rangers , where he chose to leave after being given a fantastic offer and the manager spoke to him giving him assurances, may not be his first choice. Tbh I would think it a pretty bizarre choice. He’s Chelsea’s player and they would want him to broaden his footballing knowledge not go back to where he was previously

His dad is/was a Celtic ST holder yes.

Last edited:

I have to reply to this
Young billy has the same agent as Gareth bale
Forget his name
An not sure how you know about assurances

I know a lot about what went on but not everything
An the speculation on here about not facts are crazy

I'm B licensed as a coach, played at an ok level. The game is becoming robotic, same patterns over and over by athletes rather than players.

Given the choice between player and athlete I'll take the player. There is a school of thought that you get the biggest/strongest/fittest and you then give them the tools to be effective players. Its making the game sterile. There are certain things you simply cant coach. A player that can read the game and understand where he/she needs to be at any given time can be made fitter and stronger.

Its much harder to give the big/strong player the tools to be able to read the game.

Probably right mate.

Works for Livi and Motherwell though!

No point, he's nowhere near ready to play first team football.

The kid isn't ready to come back up here to play against all the hammer throwers that play in the SPFL.
If he was a well built 17 yr.old and could handle himself, that would be a different story altogether, as the boys got bags of talent.But is far too frail in stature just now.Imo.

I have to reply to this
Young billy has the same agent as Gareth bale
Forget his name
An not sure how you know about assurances

I know a lot about what went on but not everything
An the speculation on here about not facts are crazy

When at Rangers his dad was his agent. Not really surprising he’s moved on from that

According to people , like you, his dad is a Celtic fan

He did speak to Celtic before opting for Chelsea. It’s not a crime and any agent worth his salt would look at all options

Are you claiming that Pedro went to meet Billy and his family and didn’t try and sell the club to him?

When at Rangers his dad was his agent. Not really surprising he’s moved on from that

He did speak to Celtic before opting for Chelsea. It’s not a crime and any agent worth his salt would look at all options

Are you claiming that Pedro went to meet Billy and his family and didn’t try and sell the club to him?

All correct. He did not have that agent when at Rangers.

He’s playing with and against far better players than what he was up here, and he’s improved a lot since he left. He’s also set himself and his family up for life. It’s easy for us to sit online and say you’d stay at Rangers, but bear in mind we were an absolute shambles under Caixinha and Murty at that time and there was every chance he could fail to make the grade up here.

For what it’s worth, I reckon Gilmour will end up reaching the very top. He was recently named as one of the 60 best young players in world football and gets rave reviews down in England. I wish him all the best.

Your partly correct

Obviously his dad was taking care of his son
At meetings at 14/15 years of age
Before it went crazy regarding teams interested
Then it becomes to big for some parents

I’ve took what you’ve said wrong
Regarding the agent part in terms of what I thought you were saying

An I’m not saying anything
I wouldn’t on a public forum
I’ve read lots of nonsense regarding the whole situation
But sometimes I bite (maybe I shouldn’t )

He left basically stating that coming up against the hammer throwers in the SPL was too much for him at this stage in his physical development. I don't see what's changed in that regard.

He will be a cracking player some day but he would get flattened on a weekly basis here and no doubt leave with a nasty injury.

Your partly correct

Obviously his dad was taking care of his son
At meetings at 14/15 years of age
Before it went crazy regarding teams interested
Then it becomes to big for some parents

I’ve took what you’ve said wrong
Regarding the agent part in terms of what I thought you were saying

An I’m not saying anything
I wouldn’t on a public forum
I’ve read lots of nonsense regarding the whole situation
But sometimes I bite (maybe I shouldn’t )

I’m sorry if you took what I said about the lad as a criticism as it wasn’t meant that way.

I just think a return to Rangers is not on the cards. Why come back on loan to a club you wanted to leave to further your career? It just doesn’t make any sense to me

He is too wee at the moment, but it's hardly a surprise seeing as he is just 17.

The forum is full of folk whinging after a 4-1 win today, I'd hate to see what it would be like if we dropped points with a 17 year old Chelsea loanee playing :eek:
He's too wee? What size do you think he is going to grow to, 6'2?

I'm sure the wee man will be happy progressing in Chelsea u23 (were by all accounts he is doing fantastically well) then get a move to a loan club when he is a wee bit bigger..

Back