Billy Gilmour - would he have developed the same if he stayed with us?

I wasn’t comparing abilities of Gimour/Middleton, different types of player and positions but referring to SG’s ‘coaching’of GM.

Yeah but you coach players accordingly. If a player doesn’t have it a coach can’t just give him that ability. I don’t think it’s a slight on Gerrard that Middleton hasn’t managed to feature for the first team much.

He could be a better footballer by now if he stayed with us. He probably would have been a first team regular by now.

Playing at under whatever level is nowhere near as good for development as playing against seasoned pros. If that was the case then the current loan system wouldn't be the way it is.

He left as he got a big money deal to go. But given his natural ability he could have played 30+ games in the Scottish Prem, played Europa League and broken in to the international setup by now.

Yeah but you coach players accordingly. If a player doesn’t have it a coach can’t just give him that ability. I don’t think it’s a slight on Gerrard that Middleton hasn’t managed to feature for the first team much.
When GM broke into the team he scored 5 goals in as many starts and created numerous chances by using his speed going outside the full back
And onto the bye line and putting the ball across the face of the goal. Then he stopped doing this, instead cutting

back inside, into trouble and became
ineffective. Did our ‘rookie’ manager
fail to spot this ?

Could be argued he could have been ahead of schedule If still with us.

Playing under the tutelage Steven Gerrard, the greatest midfielder of his generation? His development would be better than where he currently is. Don't know who he plays with at Chelsea's kiddies team but I guarantee there's no-one near the standard of Steven Davis and Scott Arfield..

He did get lucky with Chelsea's transfer ban and perhaps in the future his choice to leave will bring dividends but as it stands he would be progressing at a faster rate if he had stayed.

I don't think he would of made it, the majority of English teams try to play football whereas the majority of opposition we face in Scotland are hammer throwers. He would of came on then some big lug from livi or hearts etc would of just clobbered him.

Can you blame him for leaving when he did? We were an absolute clown car. Just appointed a snake oil salesman as manager and were something like 15-2 aggregate against Celtic. Finishing third. Completely rudderless with no idea where we were going or what we wanted to do. And then there's the purported 10k a week Chelsea were offering. Would have been madness for him to stay. We should have had him sign a pre-contract, would've strengthened our hand if he wanted to go

Like McCrorie etc?

Gerrard hasn't brought any young players through.

He’s got some out on loan making sure they get games and experience. And I think you’ve picked a bad example in McCrorie. I’m pretty sure he’ll become a first team regular in time.

Nobody can develop a player overnight. SG‘s only just into his second year, I think he’s done all right.

Can you blame him for leaving when he did? We were an absolute clown car. Just appointed a snake oil salesman as manager and were something like 15-2 aggregate against Celtic. Finishing third. Completely rudderless with no idea where we were going or what we wanted to do. And then there's the purported 10k a week Chelsea were offering. Would have been madness for him to stay. We should have had him sign a pre-contract, would've strengthened our hand if he wanted to go

Was it MW or Pedro ?

Who knows, but why miss a chance to shit on Rangers.

Our path of progress is little different to most teams, you could make a decent case to say there aren't many teams do career paths very well in context of their status of club.

No he wouldn’t have because he’s not big enough he’s thrived down there due to faith shown at various age groups by a variety of coaches added to fact the young fella himself sounds extremely sensible added with belief in himself
Unlike some on here I wish him every success
Seen him play against England at youth level against players twice his size without any issues, the guy is an absolute class act and would have made quite a number of appearances under Gerrard, no issues with him making the move to Chelsea at that time though, it was a no brainer, might have been different now though.

Back