Billy Gilmour - would he have developed the same if he stayed with us?

jdm1873

I know it's a hypothetical question but would he have developed the same if he stayed with us?

He seems to have flourished this season with his first team debut and he was meant to be outstanding against as the Chelsea second string beat Arsenal with him having a hand in 3 goals.

The pressures at Ibrox with a section of our fans happy to criticise and write you off after a bad pass let alone a bad game do you feel that he would have had the same opportunities? Also with the Scottish League, look at the last Livingston game, a player like Gilmour would be booted all over the park. Look at Cochrane of Hearts who was basically assaulted on the park by Scott Brown yet it went unpunished.

I can understand why these young players will choose to go down south not just for the money.

He was always going to be a superstar regardless though f where he was, he’s just got there quicker by being down there, he will be the best Scottish midfielder of his generation , by miles

It depends on the player, some thrive on playing first team football and it brings the best out of them ,look at Barry Ferguson,,,and some like john fleck don't handle it ,,

Class always shines through, he would have been just as good with us as he is now with them, although i think he would probably already be in our first team, will he get the same chances down there?

Probably not when you look at his peets. Even under SG we haven’t seen any (very short period of time) young development player break through.

well maybe he isnt but ad say he was but his sure is and he has a huge influence on his game esp at the age of 15/16. he only played for us as it was easier to get to than the other mob thats fact. so am saying i think his dad was happy to get hin out of rangers based on that. only my opinion in a hypothetical question thats all lol
His mums a Rangers supporter and his family member who posts on here also is stop talking pish. Even on that podcast thing his dad was on he never came across bitter or bad mouthed Rangers, the young boy moved for his career and he’s now training with some of the best in the game which will only make the boy better. Good luck to him I say

He wanted to leave us and did. Good luck to him but I’m not that bothered about how he does now really. Chelsea are going through a bit of a change with youth coming through but I imagine that will change once their transfer ban is over.

Just bad timing - really think he’d of stayed with our current gaffer. Also will be a better player with Chelsea, training every day with players like kante will improve your game

Absolute nonsense. Every thread on here that mentions this boy descends into this crap. Admin would be as well deleting the thread now to save the usual rubbish being spouted.
the main thing being him and his dad are celtic fans his dad being a huge influence on his career was only to happy to get him out of rangers.
The 'main' thing? What a load of rubbish. Having been friends with the family most of my life I can tell you one thing for certain, Billy Snr only ever wanted what was best for his son and would back any decision young Billy made 100%. Young Billy brought up a Rangers fan had sights and the confidence in his own ability to aim for the Premier League and you know what, he wasn't wrong either.

No he wouldn’t have because he’s not big enough he’s thrived down there due to faith shown at various age groups by a variety of coaches added to fact the young fella himself sounds extremely sensible added with belief in himself
Unlike some on here I wish him every success

the main thing being him and his dad are celtic fans his dad being a huge influence on his career was only to happy to get him out of rangers.

That's not true mate.

He certainly wasn't a Celtic fan.

However, the posters already saying he's a superstar and will be the best of his generation are way too premature.

Billy is a terrific prospect with great potential, but he's achieved absolutely nothing in the game yet and has barely played a 1st team match.

Let the boy develop and let's see what he can achieve.

Let's keep things in perspective.

Too early to tell if he will even make it watched the game he played recently and he just kept it simple no more than that we will see in the future if he does well or not.

With Chelsea's transfer ban he's probably far closer to the first team than he ever imagined at this stage and I mean no disrespect by that. Him and a few others at Chelsea have a chance to kick start their careers at the very top and I hope they all do well.

Some Celtic fan at Ibrox with his mum, in the home end, when we horsed them last season.

If Steven Gerrard was manager of Rangers he’d have signed a contract.

If he keeps developing the way he is, he’ll have a similar level of career to the Rangers manager.

He’s that good.

No. He's playing at a whole new level even with Chelsea's u23 than he could have here or on loan.
He wouldn't have made our 1st team so would have just bungled along for a year or 2 more.

Some Celtic fan at Ibrox with his mum, in the home end, when we horsed them last season.

If Steven Gerrard was manager of Rangers he’d have signed a contract.

If he keeps developing the way he is, he’ll have a similar level of career to the Rangers manager.

He’s that good.
I totally agree. He's the best Scotland has produced since Barry Ferguson. I think he'll be better for sure.

Iddoubt he ld
I know it's a hypothetical question but would he have developed the same if he stayed with us?

He seems to have flourished this season with his first team debut and he was meant to be outstanding against as the Chelsea second string beat Arsenal with him having a hand in 3 goals.

The pressures at Ibrox with a section of our fans happy to criticise and write you off after a bad pass let alone a bad game do you feel that he would have had the same opportunities? Also with the Scottish League, look at the last Livingston game, a player like Gilmour would be booted all over the park. Look at Cochrane of Hearts who was basically assaulted on the park by Scott Brown yet it went unpunished.

I can understand why these young players will choose to go down south not just for the money.
doubt he left for development

Some players are going to flourish wherever they do as they are superstars. Gilmour looks to be one of those.You listen to Durrant on the recent fitba podcast talking about Gilmour as one of the best hes seen.

No he wouldn’t imo. His debut was largely compared to Fabregas. There’s absolutely zero chance he would be sitting in HTC watching hours of Fabregas footage.
Then again I know fûck all.

Iddoubt he ld
doubt he left for development

Why did you think he left?

Looking at his work ethic and determination to be a superstar, I’d suggest it was about bettering himself.

Of course money helps, but the lad seems devoted to becoming a top player.

It hurts to say it but he’ll be a better player having been mixing it with better players, better league, better facilities, better manager (outwith Gerrard)

He’ll also be earning much more money as well as living in London.

I take no pleasure in saying it was an absolute no brainer for the lad to leave.

With Chelsea's transfer ban he's probably far closer to the first team than he ever imagined at this stage and I mean no disrespect by that. Him and a few others at Chelsea have a chance to kick start their careers at the very top and I hope they all do well.

Very true, the likes of Abraham, Mount and Tomori probably wouldn’t have been near the first team if they never had the transfer ban, along with Lampard as manager who’s willing to give the youngsters a chance, something Chelsea have not done enough of in recent years. Gilmour will get plenty of more chances this season for the Chelsea first team.

Who has ? or make it easier for you who has in the past 10 year ?

You do know Gerrard has only been here just over a year?

Katic and Kent have prospered under Gerrard as has Ryan Jack.

A few of the youth squad appear to be knocking on the door.

The question is, would he have developed the same if Chelsea weren't banned from signing anyone? No, he'd rot in the reserves, being passed pillar to post until he was about 24 and not fulfill his obvious potential. Fate has been kind to him and the other young players at the Chelsea football factory.

Never know as he left as soon as he could
I think some players just 'get it', and he is one of them. I think he would be just as good under the current management here as he is down there.

if you dont know facts about which team the kid supports,why type as if you do.others posters from the area have already posted,they know the family.an the kids history
an they have covered it.

an the comment of young players progressing under this management team.
kent is an great example of flourishing.
where katic or edmonson could be doing with more game time imo

difficult one

if you dont know facts about which team the kid supports,why type as if you do.others posters from the area have already posted,they know the family.an the kids history
an they have covered it.

an the comment of young players progressing under this management team.
kent is an great example of flourishing.
where katic or edmonson could be doing with more game time imo

difficult one
I would counter with Glen Middleton.

His level of talent has been an extreme standout for a very long time. I don't think he would struggle in the SPFL, his potential is way beyond this league. Someone mentioned Harry Cochrane earlier, Gilmour is in a completely different stratosphere talent and potential wise.

However, he wouldn't have been given as much chance this season for Chelsea either if it wasn't for their transfer ban and the acceptance that they won't compete for the title this term. They're a club in recent years who had De Bruyne and Salah on their books and made a rip roaring lady's front bottom of it with both.

His level of talent has been an extreme standout for a very long time. I don't think he would struggle in the SPFL, his potential is way beyond this league. Someone mentioned Harry Cochrane earlier, Gilmour is in a completely different stratosphere talent and potential wise.

However, he wouldn't have been given as much chance this season for Chelsea either if it wasn't for their transfer ban and the acceptance that they won't compete for the title this term. They're a club in recent years who had De Bruyne and Salah on their books and made a rip roaring lady's front bottom of it with both.

He's still a bit away from making an impression at Chelsea.

He's not even on the bench today.

He's definitely got potential, but some folk on here are getting ridiculously carried away about him.

Why ? Just curious.
Chelsea have one of the best youth set ups around and he’s been able to train with far better players both at youth and first team level.

And if he stayed and managed to get a game at 16/17 it could’ve done more harm than good with the absolute shit show we had going on.

His mums a Rangers supporter and his family member who posts on here also is stop talking pish. Even on that podcast thing his dad was on he never came across bitter or bad mouthed Rangers, the young boy moved for his career and he’s now training with some of the best in the game which will only make the boy better. Good luck to him I say

A guy in my work is a Celtic fan, but his son plays for Rangers. He said to me that when his son started playing football all his loyalties towards Celtic went out the window, as his main focus was giving his son the best possible chance to succeed. I suspect this is the same with the majority of parents of young players.

As for the OP's question: It's hard to tell given the level of football up here and the standard of pitch players have to play on. I think their is probably more opportunity for them to succeed down south, just because the standard of football is higher and facilities are vastly superior.

Back