Billy Gilmour

bjorklund-by-the-sea

I know he’s been promoted to Chelsea’s first team but given I expect them to invest heavily in the summer, I’d quite like to see him back here on loan to continue is development for a year.

Would surely suit all parties and I expect he would fit into a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 quite comfortably.

I know he’s been promoted to Chelsea’s first team but given I expect them to invest heavily in the summer, I’d quite like to see him back here on loan to continue is development for a year.

Would surely suit all parties and I expect he would fit into a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 quite comfortably.

He’s too wee and wouldn’t play

Unless it’s a loan to buy then no. We should be looking to strengthen our team with our own prospects medium to long term.
At our level Loan options to bolster the team are inevitable and it would be silly to discount it completely but I agree that buying players with a resell value who we can develop is the priority and way forward for the club.

I would like it, Chelsea probably wouldn’t want him coming to our league but I think a player as talented as him would thrive for us

What has he done, I mean actually done, in his career that would suggest he is ready to start in a Rangers first 11 ?

Not suggesting that he won't go on to have a great career btw.

What has he done, I mean actually done, in his career that would suggest he is ready to start in a Rangers first 11 ?

Not suggesting that he won't go on to have a great career btw.
I wasn’t suggesting he goes straight into the 11 but we’ve been lacking in midfield this season at times.
He’s done the same as Kent, Ojo had before we took them on loan.

Chelsea have a network of clubs they send their young players on loan to. I don’t think him coming up here would be considered especially with him knocking on the door of the first team

Literally since the winter break people have been moaning about our midfield, saying we need better options
I'd rather see us promote one of our own youths, maybe see if Barjoness is ready to step up? Gilmour looks a tidy wee player but he's still pretty lightweight.

He chose to leave us, why would we bring him back to develop him at the expense of our other youngsters who want to play for us?

I'd rather we try and develop steven kelly when he comes back from his loan at the end of his season. Hes got all the technical ability to make it and hes proved hes physical enough having had played a full season of mens football this season. He should be the successor to davis by the end of next sesson

He chose to leave us, why would we bring him back to develop him at the expense of our other youngsters who want to play for us?
Bringing in any player is “at the expense of other youngsters” the difference is the quality he’d bring and by all accounts he’s got that. By that logic if we agreed a deal for arguments sake for Morelos or Katic to leave in the summer with a loan back option, you wouldn’t accept that?

I’m not a massive advocate for bringing him back but it seems worth exploring - we need to be realistic about the market we are operating and while selling on for a profit has to be the business model we still need to fill a squad with quality and options.

Bringing in any player is “at the expense of other youngsters” the difference is the quality he’d bring and by all accounts he’s got that. By that logic if we agreed a deal for arguments sake for Morelos or Katic to leave in the summer with a loan back option, you wouldn’t accept that?

I’m not a massive advocate for bringing him back but it seems worth exploring - we need to be realistic about the market we are operating and while selling on for a profit has to be the business model we still need to fill a squad with quality and options.
We are not talking about loaning back one of our established stars, we are talking about a 16 year old who left at the first opportunity he had. Good luck to the boy but would rather we developed our own youngsters.

We are not talking about loaning back one of our established stars, we are talking about a 16 year old who left at the first opportunity he had. Good luck to the boy but would rather we developed our own youngsters.
That’s fair enough - I completely get that view but there are a finite amount to top young players we could potentially bring in so was just seeing what the thoughts on bringing him back would be. Seems pretty mixed by all accounts.

No he wanted to leave the club so there is no reason to bring him back to help develop him as a player for another club.

The latest stories surrounding Chelsea are that Lampard will be having a clear out of some under performers and Willian's contract talks have broken down so he looks likely to leave as well.
Next season Gilmour is probably going to go from the first team bench to being a first team regular,I doubt that he would be going on loan anywhere.

I’d rather see Stephen Kelly come into the squad and stake a claim for a starting spot.

Me too.

Even if Gilmour is considered the better of the two, we will not benefit from his development in the long term. Kelly on the other hand might just push himself into the managers plans over the next few years, following what has been a good loan spell for him.

We should only loan players who will dramatically improve the team or have a buy at end of the loan option - Gilmour falls into neither category

So do you disagree with all loan moves then?

No I don't my point is he was at Rangers and we weren't good enough for him so off he went to Chelsea so why should we give him the opportunity to come back on loan to develop him as a player? If he took the huff at 15 for not being involved in a first team game what's he going to do if Gerrard doesn't play him?

Leave him where he is and let him do what he wants at Chelsea am sure they will punt him to Vitesse or any other club they have connections with to develop him.

He will likely go on loan to an EFL club next season. I think Chelsea will spend big in the summer as they are miles off the top teams right now and need 2 or 3 star quality players so I don't see him featuring.

He is probably a bit unlucky that he is too young to really figure this year because of the transfer ban and the fact that Lampard is under no pressure - this was the season to make that breakthrough.

i like billy. have seen him several times this season playing for chelsea. he is tidy and effective in the system they play surrounded and supported by 2 of kovacic, kante, jourginho. i dont see firstly chelsea allowing him to leave to come to rangers and perhaps controversially i dont see billy being successful with the way we are set up, the players he would have around him to support, and finally the way the rest of the spl play.

No I don't my point is he was at Rangers and we weren't good enough for him so off he went to Chelsea so why should we give him the opportunity to come back on loan to develop him as a player? If he took the huff at 15 for not being involved in a first team game what's he going to do if Gerrard doesn't play him?

Leave him where he is and let him do what he wants at Chelsea am sure they will punt him to Vitesse or any other club they have connections with to develop him.

I highly doubt he 'took the huff'.

He was given the opportunity of a lifetime.

Go to a top Premiership club and work with the best, or hang around up here when Pedro was in charge.

I highly doubt he 'took the huff'.

He was given the opportunity of a lifetime.

Go to a top Premiership club and work with the best, or hang around up here when Pedro was in charge.

He said himself on that football daft pod he thought he was going to be playing in a cup game but Murty picked someone else instead and that was it for him.

I guess a big wad of money and benefits for your family as a result of the move are going to help him make the decision but at the time it's not as if Chelsea are well known from bringing through youth to the first team. Been forced to do it this year because of their transfer ban and fair play to him for being a permanent fixture in the first team now.

He wanted to go so I wouldn't be in a rush to loan him to develop him for another clubs benefit.

Don't want him.back, chased then money after making out he was a huge rangers fan. He'd still be mega rich if he stayed had he really been a fan.

Back