Billy Gilmour

Compare and contrast for young players now to the past. A player like Billy can go through the youth programme and get the best training a few quid and a chance to play in the premiership if he makes it. If he does not make it at Chelsea, he can still go and have a decent career elsewhere. The days in the past where young players were paid Yts wages of £30 per week and get shown the door at 18 if they were deemed not good enough are long gone now.

Chelsea have pretty much guaranteed him a good life and the chance, if he doesn't make it, playing at a good level in the Championship. If he didnt make it at us, where does he go from there? I dont blame in that sense, it is modern football with the money situation and I wish him all the best and hopefully see him in the Scotland set up or on loan to us in the future.

However, I do think it is beyond a joke that big teams are hoovering up all the best talent and stockpiling them. Chelsea - 37 players on loan, Juventus - 50 players on loan as examples. That is 87 players who could be starting first team football at their clubs.

Only Uefa can really sort this kind of thing out. Teams would maybe stand a fighting chance in their leagues and make more profit selling these players on, instead of big clubs buying them at a low price and selling them for a big profit.

Disappointed he left but don't grudge him the opportunity, he has great facilities and seems to have a good mentality and work rate so he has a chance, all best Billy and hope he prives the doubters wrong.

Isnt it strange that a young defenders just left rangers to go to hamburg and was slated because rangers wouldnt match what hamburg offered,yet little messi here is hailed e world class and people are hoping he is back at rangers on loan... he left for CASH

Different stages of their career though. For development we probably can’t match what he will learn at Chelsea. Bates was getting a game in the first team and has gone to the German second division.

I watch them a lot he I'd outstanding at times . One minute playing font of defence taking ball of them spraying passes. The n he's in attacking position passing killer balls this kid has everything. Work rate unreal would say he one of the best young player On there books. Would love to have him back at sometime.
Did we have a sell on clause in the transfer contract when he moved to Chelsea ?

Are footballers the only employees in the world expected to give loyalty to a disloyal employer who will discard them at the first chance, and who are not allowed to move to another employer for more cash?
Would have been nice to get some loyalty from him,just my opinion as you have your opinion.

Would have been nice to get some loyalty from him,just my opinion as you have your opinion.

Of course it would have been nice. Every single employer ever has said the same when someone has moved for more money...and at the same time sacked people who have too much time off for personal reasons or who become less useful than the newest graduate.

It is life, football is, despite wailing and gnashing of teeth, in the real world. Anyone genuinely pissed off/upset/worried that a 15 year old lad went to London with one of the richest clubs in the world, with a fantastic track record of producing football talent is an utter moron :D

We are all disappointed he will not play for us now, but it is hardly the end of the world and it 100% does not show the kid up as greedy or anything else.

I really hope he makes the grade, wish he’d stayed with us as he looks a cracking prospect but you can’t blame him for having the balls to go and test himself

Some of these boys in the youth final are massive, bigger than our first team players. Gilmour is still very wee in comparison which emphasises how good he must be on the ball.

Wish the lad every success. Seems to be getting on very well at Chelsea and I don’t think anyone could grudge him making the move to ensure himself and family are set up for life.

I've watched a few of his games down at Chelsea. The wee man is going to go very far in the game.

Scored a great goal earlier and i don't think he's gave the ball away once.

All the best to him.

It’s easy for people who’ll never be in his position to say he should’ve stayed at Rangers but from a financial point only he’s got the opportunity to set himself and his family up for life by the time he’s 20 - who wouldn’t want that?

billy Gilmour threads always split opinion

The lad still attends rangers games with his mum ,on monthly trips back up the road.

The lad took a gamble leaving home at 15 to go down south an live with others

He’s flourishing brilliantly
Surrounded by some of the best youths in Europe ,an brilliant facility’s
Gaining great experience

Why woukd you stay at rangers to prove your loyalty
Nobody knows where he’ll be in 3/4 year
The exact same if he’d stayed
Nobody knows

FIFA &. UEFA must legislate to protect / reward the club that nurtures the talent.

The Chelsea model also needs investigating

Have heard others saying this as well but I don’t really have an issue with it.

It’s a business model set to make profit. Normal business practice.

60-70% of the players will go on to have successful careers regardless of whether of not its at Chelsea.

Smaller clubs do the same on a smaller scale.

He chose to leave for Chelsea because even if he stays at Chelsea for 5 years he’d learn more at there academy than at Auchenhowie due to the resources on offer

Wish him well in his career and hope he goes on to make it big time

Incredible the people in this thread giving a young boy it tight for seeking the best possible start in his adult life. Daft bitter old men.
Still some of these guys will still say Rangers fans are the best in the world..Look at yourselves calling a 16 year old kid names, and slating Bates for signing for Hamburg.
Look at the Burnley site and see how they all wish Arfield well at Ibrox , the haters on here could learn a few things from other clubs.

Would you have stayed? Serious question. Knowing the state of the club right now? Chelsea want to make you wealthy beyond your dreams and set you and your family up down south?

Come on.
Would I have wanted to turn out for my boyhood club and maybe win a trophy or two with them as opposed to earning a fortune in someone's youth team? Depends if my motivation was greed or glory doesn't it.

On a slight tangent here, I always notice the boy Charlie Gilmour at Arsenal is not shy on showing he is a bluenose.

I read somewhere he is held in high esteem with Arsenal.

Has anyone seen him in action?

I was at the the game tonight and Gilmour was superb. Ran the midfield for the first 60 mins at which point the tie was over. Great strike for the goal as well.
The size of some of these boys is frightening! The Chelsea right back and captain was huge as was the Arsenal centre half Daniel Ballard who apparantly plays for Northern Ireland at youth level. Got to say that Chelsea were way ahead of Arsenal all over the pitch.

A cracking wee footballer, would love him to be back at Ibrox some day. Hopefully we have some decent add-ons written into his transfer to Chelsea.

Back