Billy McNeil Quote "Open Secret" Daily Record

Aspley1 Ger

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 11/7/1998; McILWRAITH, GORDON
JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett,

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.
He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

Billy McNeil said, on oath in a court of law, "It was an open secret at Parkhead"

Scotland on Sunday 18/08/1996

"To Jim Torbett's credit he phoned Jock Stein and admitted the offences," Cairney recalls. "Jock called a meeting at Celtic Park, which he chaired. He took all the financial statements off him and led him to the door. Torbett started crying. Jock's words were: 'Never mind the ****ing Hollywood stuff' and opened the door and said to him 'If it wasn't for these boys you'd be going to jail for a long while'. He opened the door and kicked him in the backside right out.

"To Jim Torbett's credit he phoned Jock Stein and admitted the offences," Cairney recalls. "Jock called a meeting at Celtic Park, which he chaired. He took all the financial statements off him and led him to the door. Torbett started crying. Jock's words were: 'Never mind the ****ing Hollywood stuff' and opened the door and said to him 'If it wasn't for these boys you'd be going to jail for a long while'. He opened the door and kicked him in the backside right out.
spiers worked for Scotland on Sunday in 1996 IIRC

Who were the boys that kept him out of jail one wonders...

After all this time it is now all rising to the surface , victims have been ignored and their cries for help or sympathy have all been ignored WHY ! To keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times .The open secret finally out in the open and because of the name of CFC all those victims lives have been ruined and I hope they finally get compensated handsomely for the suffering they have endured although it will never erase the memories of the horrors they suffered at least it will help them rebuild their lives. That vile club must be closed down and those who covered this up must be brought to justice .

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett,

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.
He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

Billy McNeil said, on oath in a court of law, "It was an open secret at Parkhead"

Thanks for posting. I don't have a copy of that article.

So how do you go about your day to day job and hear for the first time something like this?

Shhhhh, keep it quiet but the boys club is riddled with predators that prey on young lads. Don’t worry everyone knows and as long as it is just gentle abuse (Andy Walker) we are ok with that. Remember the clubs good name comes first at all time.

For evil to triumph it just takes a few good men to do nothing. As true now as it was 200 years ago.

All the record reports are on a pdf file you could google. can't remember the name of it though. Anna Smith was reporting on it iirc!!!

'If it wasn't for these boys you'd be going to jail for a long while'. Precisely the reason he should have called the police and the perv wouldn't have had the opportunity to harm more boys. Shame on you Stein.
No one could persuade you to keep something like that to yourself.

So without proof you can't go to the police but you can sack him?
"To Jim Torbett's credit he phoned Jock Stein and admitted the offences," Cairney recalls.

What kind of proof did they want?

This club have nowhere to hide.
Everything we ever sang about this was wrong, we were always far too limited in our criticism, it was much worse than any of us ever claimed in verse.
They really are the most shameful organisation that ever took to a football field.

The Vatican's eleven indeed.

See if the boys club was a separate entity, it would have had nothing to do with the football club and their good name wouldn’t have been in danger.

Who were the boys that kept him out of jail one wonders...
I'd say the boys were coerced, bribed, even threatened so they didn't report abuse to the police. After all, in Jock Stein's own words, "keep the name of Celtic football club clean at all times". Odd that he didn't say keep the name of Celtic boys club clean at all times. What with the two being separate entities and all.

So how do you go about your day to day job and hear for the first time something like this?

Shhhhh, keep it quiet but the boys club is riddled with predators that prey on young lads. Don’t worry everyone knows and as long as it is just gentle abuse (Andy Walker) we are ok with that. Remember the clubs good name comes first at all time.

For evil to triumph it just takes a few good men to do nothing. As true now as it was 200 years ago.
What the %^*& does gentle abuse entail ?
Did that rhat describe stuff like that

If you even mention this to them they go apoplectic with rage ,how very dare you that’s disgusting ....that’s the common response except now the facts are coming to light jock DID know and did nothing but he wasn’t the only one

It irks me massively that it’s coming to light there has been a cover up of epic proportions and yet you can’t mention it because it brings the good name of Celtic fc into it ,I’m sorry but Celtic fc is at the very heart of it ,they knew ,as a club they knew and now must face justice

I'd say the boys were coerced, bribed, even threatened so they didn't report abuse to the police. After all, in Jock Stein's own words, "keep the name of Celtic football club clean at all times". Odd that he didn't say keep the name of Celtic boys club clean at all times. What with the two being separate entities and all.

It looks to me like he was saying the other people at the meeting (Cairney and whoever else was there) kept Torbett out of prison.

Could be wrong though.

Here's a thought, you know how they say C&£÷*c were started as a charitable organisation to help the poor oirish blah blah blah. Maybe they were set up for easy access to young men/children.

Is Torbett et al just the only ones to have been caught due to modern society not prepared to tolerate child abuse ?

As a club their ability to suppress news of these vile actions didn't just happen overnight, they've developed over the decades a slick operation in keeping things hush hush and would have been much more easier for them to do so 60, 70, 80 years ago. You only need to look at how easily Radio Clyde SSB for example this very day have been silenced and ordered not to mention anything.

Could C÷$&/c Football Club in actual fact be a massive paedo organisation and the football a convenient charade set up by brother Walfrid for him and his priest friends to have access to children ?

Are their more victims out there prior to Torbett and his gang, silenced and taking their secrets to the grave ?

It would be a bonus to nail, once and for all, both the separate entity and only heard in the 1990's line if a scan of the article or link to the archived newspaper can be shared

I contacted the courts to see if it was possible to get a copy of the court transcripts as I wanted to see the " open secret " quote with my own eyes.

I was told by the court that this wasn't possible.

See if the boys club was a separate entity, it would have had nothing to do with the football club and their good name wouldn’t have been in danger.

I know, it’s now beyond any doubt for even the ultra doubters that it was never a ‘separate entity’
Only the filthy scum liars at the piggery, such as the filthy lying scum Lawwell tries to persist with that myth!

p8lNVtc.jpg

I contacted the courts to see if it was possible to get a copy of the court transcripts as I wanted to see the " open secret " quote with my own eyes.

I was told by the court that this wasn't possible.
Not possible as in not allowed to? Surely these should be available under FOI at the least????

Here's a thought, you know how they say C&£÷*c were started as a charitable organisation to help the poor oirish blah blah blah. Maybe they were set up for easy access to young men/children.

Is Torbett et al just the only ones to have been caught due to modern society not prepared to tolerate child abuse ?

As a club their ability to suppress news of these vile actions didn't just happen overnight, they've developed over the decades a slick operation in keeping things hush hush and would have been much more easier for them to do so 60, 70, 80 years ago. You only need to look at how easily Radio Clyde SSB for example this very day have been silenced and ordered not to mention anything.

Could C÷$&/c Football Club in actual fact be a massive paedo organisation and the football a convenient charade set up by brother Walfrid for him and his priest friends to have access to children ?

Are their more victims out there prior to Torbett and his gang, silenced and taking their secrets to the grave ?
Maybe Torbett himself was a victim.

Iirc he started that boys club as an 18yo, yet had enough connections to affiliate them with celtic

Back