Billy McNeill passed away

I hope the Club and Supporters of Rangers FC gives this legend every respect he deserves, black armbands and 2 minutes silence is the least I expect. I hope at least one Rangers player is carrying his coffin.

Regarding carrying the coffin, that’s a family decision, he has a large family and one of his grandsons is a Rangers fan.

RIP Billy and condolences to his family at this time.

Great player and one of the true legends of Scottish football,from the old school of showing respect to his opponents both on and off the field which sadly has long gone.

RIP big Billy McNeil and condolences to Billy's family and friends.

You can't argue a captain of a 9 in a row team who lead his team to the European Cup isn't a legendary figure. Billy McNeill was a giant figure in Scottish football and his loss deserves respect and tributes from fans of all clubs.

Reactions: Del
I didn't mention this in an earlier post.

I met Billy when he allowed me lift the Scottish Cup. Unfortunately, it had the wrong colour ribbons on it that year, but he made light of my ribbing him about that. He had brought the cup with him to a hotel he part owned as part of a business venture which sadly failed for all involved.

Anyway, he behaved in an exemplary manner on the one ocasion I actually met him, and I suspect many, many other bears will tell you the same.

So sad to hear his last years were spent battling dementia, as my own Dad went through that as well until he passed aged 87.

As I said earlier, a genuine gentleman and a worthy foe

Last edited:
I selik boy at my work said today that Rangers should hold a minute silence for Billy. I don’t agree with that. Am I on my own thinking this??

Hopefully
Right obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Billy was a gentleman. Nothing like the dirt that represent that club nowadays but could you imagine that lot doing it for Mr Greig. Very much doubt it. Also they don’t have the respect for the silence of our disaster victims. They have never stayed quiet for that day.

Right obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. Billy was a gentleman. Nothing like the dirt that represent that club nowadays but could you imagine that lot doing it for Mr Greig. Very much doubt it. Also they don’t have the respect for the silence of our disaster victims. They have never stayed quiet for that day.
Always be the better person.

I'm making this up as I need attention: that the service will probably be at St Aloysius, as it holds roughly 900.
Biggest in Glasgow.

One of the generation of OF players who, despite their intense rivalry on the pitch, were able to conduct themselves with dignity and respect. Something that many in the game today would do well to learn from.

A decent man , a credit to his club and country and a well respected opponent. He did not deserve to suffer with that dreadful illness , unlike certain others who are employed by the club he served.
Condolences to his family.
Having met Billy a few times over the years I can assure you the antics of Lennon and Brown would have embarrassed him..Not once did I see Billy gesture towards us in any game they won

What reason did he give?

The Club and support can offer their condolences and thoughts at his funeral. I'm not sure a minute's silence at one of our games is appropriate.

Not sure why we wouldn’t, because he played for them? I think if any other Scottish legendary figure passed away we would recognise them

Imo we should be having a minutes silence for him

Met Billy and Davie Hay in the iron horse pub quite a few years ago and chatted and had a few drinks with them both and thoroughly enjoyed their company.
Both where absolute gentleman and enjoyed a bit of banter with a couple of Belfast bears.
RIP Billy and condolences to his family.

Not sure why we wouldn’t, because he played for them? I think if any other Scottish legendary figure passed away we would recognise them

Yes, because he played for another team. The Club has paid its tribute and will be well represented at the funeral, in a professional and in a personal capacity.

It's not about ignoring his achievements or his status.

I agree we should hold a mins silence for him on Sunday. He is a football legend in Scotland and from all accounts was a gentleman. Decency and respect should transcend rivalry.

Out of interest, and without wanting to open a can of worms, did they/any other clubs observe a minute silence for Sandy Jardine? (I'm thinking at least Hearts must have?)

Some of the tweets under the clubs condolence message are embarrassing. Some amount of wee fannies who think they are Rangers diehards making an arse of it.
These types let the club and real fans down badly with this sort of bile.
I'm not going to say what I really think of them as this thread is about showing respect and our condolences to Billy and his family.

Sad news, came from an era when great captains left their football on the pitch, absolutely terrible illness which my dad also succumbed too, thoughts with his family

It's not often a true gent from the opposition would warrant kind words from us but today Mr McNeil deserves it, I spent a few years living in the Mearns and not too far from him he was always pleasant and nice to talk to.
Unlike the teams of 2019 who lack class or grace Mr McNeil had it all in abundance like a lot of players from the past they had 100% passion for the game and none of the twisted madness of the modern game .not many of us haven't been affected either loved ones or family friends passing from dementia RIP Mr McNeil you were a nice man and I hope you enjoy a game against slim jim on heaven.

About as far removed from the current Celtic captain as you can get.

The term legend is over used but McNeill is undoubtedly in that bracket.

I hope we have a minutes silence, it's right and proper to pay tribute to a dignified and respectful old foe.

RIP Billy

God Bless Billy. Your a true gent and you were the epitome of class in the aftermath of the Ibrox disaster. RIP

I selik boy at my work said today that Rangers should hold a minute silence for Billy. I don’t agree with that. Am I on my own thinking this??
You definitely are not on your own thinking that, hundreds of thousands follow Rangers, each with their own opinions. I'm not sure what the plans are re silences at Scottish grounds this weekend, but if there is one at Ibrox I'm sure it will be impeccable.

A horrible condition.

I only just remember McNeil as a manager. my lasting memory of him is his response on live TV to Butcher nearly taking a door off it’s hinges at Parkhead after - IIRC - they’d beaten us 1-0 in the Scottish Cup.

RIP.
Is that when the cretin Rob McLean ( then of the BBC) then wished him a happy St Patricks Day?

I wish to pass my condolences onto Billy McNeill’s family. Dementia is a terrible condition and as my Mother suffered from dementia, I understand what his family are likely to have gone through.

I also understand that we on the forum have a variety of opinions and I am not preaching to anyone. However I would hope Rangers hold a minutes silence for Billy McNeill on Sunday in a mark of respect to a great Celtic captain. I am sure, we as a support will mark the minute’s silence with the same respect that we marked Jock Stein’s death when there was a minute’s silence before the Clydebank game at Kilbowie Park in 1986.

Unfortunately, as a Rangers supporter, I saw Billy McNeill when he was at the height of his powers as a player. Fortunately, as a Rangers supporter, I also saw him reaching the latter years of his career with Celtic when regular success came back to us.

Was Billy McNeill a true sporting icon? Imo he was a great sportsman when he was winning and not when he was losing. Anyone who saw the footage of his reaction when he collected his loser’s medal at the 1973 Cup Final will understand what I mean. Hopefully on reflection, I hope he knew his reaction was a mistake.

So if there is a minute’s silence on Sunday, we must and will respect the silence because Billy McNeill was a great servant to his team, because he was a rival player who played many times against us (with varying success) and because that is how we show respect as Rangers supporters.

It will not stop us, as Rangers supporters, hoping we hammer the side Billy McNeill captained in his playing days when we next meet in May.

A good friend of John Greig and many other older Bears - who will no doubt all be devastated by this loss.

RIP Mr McNeil . My condolences to family.

Many of the players of that era were mates off the pitch. Baxter and Crerand being close pals. Hard to imagine nowadays.

Terrible disease.

We are better than them. Why would you want to lower yourself to their level?

Correct, it’s the right thing to do and he was a former manager of our opposition on Sunday.

Sad news, my mum’s aunt knew Billy - sadly I never met her as she passed when I was one. Dementia is a horrible disease, lost my granddad almost two years ago and he’d battled it for 12 years. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Hopefully Billy’s family can find some peace, and that all the messages of support can give them some warmth at this time. The game needs more characters in the mould of Billy McNeill, and John Greig; proper gentlemen.

I wish to pass my condolences onto Billy McNeill’s family. Dementia is a terrible condition and as my Mother suffered from dementia, I understand what his family are likely to have gone through.

I also understand that we on the forum have a variety of opinions and I am not preaching to anyone. However I would hope Rangers hold a minutes silence for Billy McNeill on Sunday in a mark of respect to a great Celtic captain. I am sure, we as a support will mark the minute’s silence with the same respect that we marked Jock Stein’s death when there was a minute’s silence before the Clydebank game at Kilbowie Park in 1986.

Unfortunately, as a Rangers supporter, I saw Billy McNeill when he was at the height of his powers as a player. Fortunately, as a Rangers supporter, I also saw him reaching the latter years of his career with Celtic when regular success came back to us.

Was Billy McNeill a true sporting icon? Imo he was a great sportsman when he was winning and not when he was losing. Anyone who saw the footage of his reaction when he collected his loser’s medal at the 1973 Cup Final will understand what I mean. Hopefully on reflection, I hope he knew his reaction was a mistake.

So if there is a minute’s silence on Sunday, we must and will respect the silence because Billy McNeill was a great servant to his team, because he was a rival player who played many times against us (with varying success) and because that is how we show respect as Rangers supporters.

It will not stop us, as Rangers supporters, hoping we hammer the side Billy McNeill captained in his playing days when we next meet in May.

Why on earth would rangers host a minutes silence for the death of a footballer that didn't play for them?

Surely if we went down that path we would be having a minutes silence every other week.

I know Billy’s family well and like Billy himself they are a Lovely family. Devastated for them today.

And yes I agree there should be a silence. Who cares that he didn’t play for us. He is a Scottish football legend and should be honoured by all

I'm old enough to have seen the latter years of McNeill's career. I'm also honest enough to admit we didn't like him much at the time. Anybody who grew in that era of being a Rangers supporter saw a strange situation when we had a great team but for different reasons we often lost to Stein and McNeill's Celtic.

McNeill was right up there in the unpopular stakes with Jimmy J etc because we often battled hard and lost-McNeill could dish it out tough and dirty as I reminded a Tim at work today...what about Greig he asked...he was twice as hard and dirty as McNeill I told him.

You don't do what he did with Celtic as a player and to a lesser extent as a manager and not see a bitter rival at times and McNeill had his moments especially when the tables turned. I wouldn't expect any less he was human and was clearly a winner.

I don't see any need to do any more than respect Billy McNeill as one of our greatest foes arguably the greatest but we shouldn't get caught up in any over elaborate sympathising other than the obvious.

If it's true to say McNeill wasn't liked as a Celtic player or manager by us it's also true to say you've not really lived if you didn't feel genuine sadness today as a Bear because McNeill was part of an era that shaped our lives as supporters.

Many have touched on it but times were different McNeill at his best seemed a player you had to respect it's quite clear from the accolades paid to him he was also a very decent human being off the park.

His achievements in the game were remarkable. Truly a worthy foe.

RIP.

Back