Billy Reid (Ex Hamilton Manager)

Strange apointment by Brighton hardly set the world alight at Swansea
Thinking exactly that, finishing 10th in a team just out of the Premiership seems pretty poor to me.

Another odd one recently is all the praise Jack Ross seems to be getting, a club the size of Sunderland I'd be wanting automatic promotion as an absolute minimum

I sat beside Billy on a flight to Dubai a few years ago and it took me about an hour to realise who he was (you know that situation where you know the face but just can't quite place it).
I ended up having to ask his wife who he was when he went for a slash.
Once I knew who he was, got talking and we had established our football allegiances we had a great wee natter for the rest of the journey.
Great wee guy and wish him all the best in his new venture!

Thinking exactly that, finishing 10th in a team just out of the Premiership seems pretty poor to me.

Another odd one recently is all the praise Jack Ross seems to be getting, a club the size of Sunderland I'd be wanting automatic promotion as an absolute minimum
Plenty of Sunderland fans are unhappy with Jack Ross and a few want him sacked. They'll get their wish if they don't beat Charlton Athletic on Sunday.

Was he not linked with us at one point ?

Yes he was. When he was in Scandinavia. Quite a few bears were strong on him.

I actually think he could be a consideration when Stevie G moves on. Would just like to see them when they’re playing a weaker team at home first mate. Maybe he adapted his style because it was premiership teams in the FA Cup.

They also did very well in Europe at his last club.

Östersund beat Arsenal, PAOK, Hertha & Galstasaray in Europa League last season. Pretty impressive.

Plenty of Sunderland fans are unhappy with Jack Ross and a few want him sacked. They'll get their wish if they don't beat Charlton Athletic on Sunday.
Fair enough, maybe just up here it's made out the sun shines out his arse

His record previous to Swansea was superb , and the championship is a tough league. Was amazing what he done at his last club. Should read up on it really good story.

Worked with Billy 20 odd years ago as he was coming to end of his playing career, he's a decent guy, but certainly falls under the description of a character.

A man who knocked back the Swansea job when he was with Hamilton. I am quite sure he regretted it after things went pear shaped at Hamilton. He now finds himself in the EPL after leaving Swansea. It's funny how things work out.

Swansea could have easily been another Sunderland/Bolton/Blackburn type and gone straight to down League One. Their squad was torn apart and he relied on kids. They lost 20 players in summer. That included all of their best players (Fabianski, Andre Ayew, Jordan Ayew, Mesa, Mawson, Bartley, Fernandez, Clucas, Ki) as well as mainstays of their clubs over recent years (Angel Rangel and Leon Britton).

They didn’t bring in much to replace them, two of those players were Barrie McKay and Declan John.

The fact that they stayed up was a great achievement; getting within 9 points of the play-offs was a miracle.

Saw him in Cumbernauld Asda on Saturday he was constantly on his phone bottled out of asking if it was Brighton on the phone. Also took a football coaching course I did years ago. Good guy and good luck to him

I'd have liked him to have got the rangers job back in 2012. I thought he'd have been the ideal man to guide us through the lower leagues and develop the youths

He walked into a mess mate. Never even had 11 players. He's done a great job there.

Worked with Billy 20 odd years ago as he was coming to end of his playing career, he's a decent guy, but certainly falls under the description of a character.
I served my Apprenticeship with him ,many a good laugh was had .

I'd have liked him to have got the rangers job back in 2012. I thought he'd have been the ideal man to guide us through the lower leagues and develop the youths

Wouldn't have been a fashionable appointment at the time, but it would've been interesting as he had a decent track record in youth development at Hamilton.

If you watch the documentary you will see Sunderland are an absolute basket case. It will take Ross a bit of time to fix it.

Back